HELP! Losing points by errors!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WalzY, Dec 7, 2007.

1. WalzY

WalzY Regular Member

Student
    How can I stop losing singles matches by making errors! I'm 15 and it's so frustrating when I know I can easily beat the opponent were I not making so many errors, which in the new scoring system of "you can win points when you're not serving" drags me down awfully. Things such as: hitting the shuttle just out when I'm serving (happens alot by about 2-6 inches), hitting the shuttle just into the tramlines, hitting the shuttle just long out of the back of the court on a smash or clear, hitting the shuttle just below the top of the net and kicking myself because it was an easy drop shot winner.

I seem to be doing this more with my new racquet: Yonex Nanospeed 9000x, I moved to this from my Armortec 800 Offensive! PLEASE HELP! I play at school team level, not for a club anymore (Harrogate Racquets Association) which I left 2 years ago due to school, meaning I don't have a coach to guide me or help me fix problems.

Advice and comments much appreciated!!!

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Give yourself a bigger margin of error. The problem is in your head: you think that your shots are more accurate than they actually are. Take a more realistic appraisal of your own (current!) ability, and you'll make fewer unforced errors.

You can fine-tune this depending on how well you're playing at any given time.

3. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    aim for 2-6 inches further in than where u would usually aim for

4. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

the only way to get better is to practice

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    practice, do drills if you can and try to just keep things simple when in games for the serve just practice your serve other times if your trying to do a to fancy shot that can cause you to hit it out as well. But deffinetly just be aware of your current ability and accuracy of yoru shots and go from there.

6. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Maybe the string tension are too low hence more diffuclt to control the shots ...

7. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

If your frustrated during your game, try calming yourself down, it helps!

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I agree. More frustration / anger = more errors.

I'm 15 too, and I always used to give out points to the opponents by errors such as the ones you're having troubles with. Though I sometimes do that still because nobody is perfect, I've started making less errors by calming myself down and having more confidence in my shots. When I constantly make the same error occur (eg: short serve), I practise perfecting that shot to stop the error from occuring often. You could also ask an advanced player for some advices too.. :D

9. wrexhamreject

wrexhamreject New Member

Playworker
    I found something very similar when I swapped to my Nanospeed 9000, just found it took me a couple of months to get back to my best... And now I'm unstoppable MWHAHAHA.

And like someone earlier posted... practice. I know its not an immediate solution but give it time and warm up properly before you play. I know it sounds like a cop out but start closes to the net with over exagerated movements and and over 5mins or more only gradually move to the back of the court. Most uncharacteristic inconsitacies I experience when coaching is down to this. Its sometimes hard to get someone to warm up at the net with you but try it when your practicing and I can nearly guarantee your consistacy will improve.:)

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Nothing to do with rackets. Just do more drills and conservative shots like 1 feet inside the line. Aim at the net tape instead of the lines. regular drills should help. Mistake is a very common problem with all players, the trick is to remind yourself and reduce it as much as possible. It is sure the biggest point killer in a game. Remind yourself to reduce it all the time. Lots of focus and attention is required when playing. Else, here goes again...

11. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Play simple shots, simple badminton.

12. enk39

enk39 Regular Member

agreed play simple badminton, and allowing a decent margin of error. It sounds like you're trying to consistently work at the limit of your accuracy(which is fine for drills and practise) but if u are a decent player, playing simpler shots won't significantly degrade the quality of your shots, bt it'll exponentially reduce the ammount of errors u make. that's my opinion anyway