ANNOUNCEMENT: new Karma system

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Karma points, positive/negative, shouldn't be given for agreement/disagreement

Agree with you Gollum,

We should think that karma points, positive/negative, should only be given when some helpful/unhelpful comments are posted to promote/demote our beloved Badminton.

Karma points, positive/negative, should not be given when agreement/disagreement arises. :):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well, I'll give negative karma if somebody starts to flame other people, or starts trolling, etc.

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    this is true, totally agree.
    this is sports' webpage and we talk, we discuss in badminton aspects..:D
    not to discrimate country, city, race, religion etc....:mad: or even bombarding each other here...
    here, we share all about badminton. good advices are given to those who need. here, we strive to have better skills, techniques and equipments....:D:D

kwun likes this.
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very well said. +ve karma to drifit.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't be bothered too much regarding Karma. To tell you the truth, myself seldomly check ppl's karma before reading their posts. If the contains are useful to me, I will take the advice, regardless his/her karma or post count. If the contain is useless, I won't even bother to continue.

So, no need to feel upset, as long as the majority here accept your input, you are in good shape. ;)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Correct but unfortunately emotion overrules and karma exchanged are often not content based.

At first i was indifference of the new karma system. Now, after receiving many karma points, i'm seeing abuses from what it was originally intended.
    I thanks those who gave me +ve karmas based on my post content. However, and unfortunately, some -ve karmas i got were just plan personal vendettas and not base on content usefulessness. Ex. I make a post highlighting his incorrect information and in return i get a -ve karma from him/her. I'm not saying everybody else does this or it's a long term trend but i'm just highlighting the potential misuse of the karma system

#106 cooler, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Karma points should be given to members who post useful and informative comments

Hi cooler,

Feel sorry for you. But we should stay cool. :cool::cool::cool:

Members at Badminton Central should be grateful that we have a forum here to discuss and to exchange information.

And, regarding karma points, I believe that...
    Karma points should be given to members who post useful and informative comments.
    Karma points should not be given when agreement/disagreement arises.

When we are talking about our agreement/disagreement, we are always trapped in our own little world... this is because we argue from what we have seen or from what we have been told.

Having said that, I just want to remind everyone@BC that we should be open-minded on many topics here at BC, and also to remind us that "What we see" and "What we know" are 2 separate different matters. How can I explain this ??? :confused:

Ah... Perhaps this example below might illustrate what I mean...

Everyday, I see the Sun revolves around our Earth, even though I know that the Earth revolves around the Sun. :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Actually, the Sun does revolve around the Earth. How else do you explain what you see? :p

It entirely depends on your frame of reference. If we only consider the motion of the two bodies, Earth and Sun, then it is impossible to decide which is the "centre".

Include the other planets, however, and it's much simpler to think in terms of the Earth rotating around the Sun. If you think in terms of the Sun rotating around the Earth, then the movement of the other planets is much harder to understand. We choose a frame of reference that makes the motions easiest to understand.

Nonetheless, there is no correct or incorrect frame of reference: that's a fundamental tenet of relativity. If you allow privileged frames of reference, then you're back to an absolute theory of space (Newtonian). Therefore it is equally correct to say that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

#108 Gollum, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  9. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

The Earth revolves around itself
    There is no great riddle
    Be true unto yourself
    And the karma will mean little

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sometimes in a discussion, we could talking about different things

Greetings,

This last 3 posts demonstrate the point of what I have said... that in a discussion, we could be talking about different things. :):):)

chris@ccc... gravitational pull
    Gollum........ frame of reference
    quisitor........ axial rotation of the earth

And we hope that no karma points were given via this misunderstanding. :p:p:p

Cheers... chris@ccc

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    That's too complex for my brain to handle :confused::confused::confused::confused: (I'm only 14, gimme a break...)

But @Cooler- the (-) Karma that you've been given doesn't really mean anything; to be around the forums for multiple years, have contributed in many ways, and to have 12685:eek::eek::eek::eek: posts that aren't all spam mean that you're just a victem of personal attacks, or people are just being whiny (like the people that always say "HELP HELP:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:) and cannot accept your truthful comments. Dont' worry about it, cause the people that actually judge people based off of Karma people that think that this karma thing is a popularity ranking system.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Actually, I've been thinking about this kinda issues for a while. Maybe we should only be able to give "+" karma, but not allowed to give any negative ones. This way, we can still praise the ones contributing to the community, but won't abuse the system as "agree vs. disagree". Only the mods can give negative comments, base on their own observation or reports from members (after verification).

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    With such a system in place, we are saying that General Consensus is definitely trustworthy, simply because a person with high karma 'should' be regarded as credible.

And if we always agree that the general consensus is correct, this system have pretty well outlived its purpose
    we don't need a system to gauge someone's reliability. Especially when the system works on the basis of "democracy" or "majority is always right". When a thread is created seeking helpful response, one can see for himself the differing viewpoints and pass his own judgement. It should be conspicuous enough which viewpoint is shared by the most people, and hence deemed trustworthy as agreed on by most BC members.

If there comes a day when over 50% of the replies from a thread is of questionable integrity, thinking that a Karma system helps would be illogical and contradictory. Simply because the karma point awarders and posters are from the same member populace

So personally I don't think a karma system would be that necessary nor useful. :cool:(this post gonna plummet my karma):p

#113 DivingBirdie, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    more like DivingKarma:p

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hmmm i don't know weather this Karma thingy works or not. IMO, its kinda useless? You can't see pll's karma. And you can only know your own Karma points.

I may have alot of Karma points.. but maybe i'm not that credible! ehhehe. But rest assure that i dont think i have alot of karma points compare to others.

Some pll may not have Karma points and i'm sure lots of them are credible in their own way.

16. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Is there a way to view other people's karma? Perhaps it can be shown along with the User's info. For example:

ants vbmenu_register("postmenu_652148", true);

I've seen it done on other forums before as well.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Karma System is giving kwun a bit of headache

Greetings,

Currently, to those who have higher Karma Points, they must be thinking that they have done something good@Badminton Central.

Perhaps LazyBuddy's suggestion of "Only the mods can give negative comments, base on their own observation or reports from members (after verification)" might be the best solution.

However, we need our BC moderators to gauge this. But, it will be extra work for our BC moderators. :(:(:(

It's similar to deleting members' post, closing members' thread, banning members, etc...

I'm sure this Karma System is giving kwun a bit of headache. :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

#117 chris-ccc, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
    GunBlade008 likes this.
  18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think everybody is taking this Karma system way too serious. Anyone with a slightest hint of critical thinking wouldn't rely on the system to judge whose post is better. Many regulars would read most new posts anyways given the number of times they professed to check up on BForum.

At best, the Karma system can serve as a general indicator of who's friendly(popular) and/or knowledgeable(opinionated) amongst the regular members. It is a nice feedback(reinforcement) for the poster to continue posting constructively. Other than that, I see it as redundant because folks who appreciate your contribution would tell you on the forum anyways. Even if they don't, it really doesn't matter unless popularity is your objective.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, I think that's the main use of karma: it helps us see what other members find helpful. And the reverse: it can discourage us from getting involved in heated arguments.

I've been involved in a few heated arguments on these forums, and I've seen much, much worse on other forums. I've even watched, horrified but fascinated, as one forum all but burned to the ground in an all-out flamewar (okay, it recovered; but the fall-out was not pretty).

It's often difficult to detach oneself -- I know it's hard, I've failed at this plenty of times -- but it benefits no-one to continue an impassioned debate over the internet. Forums are a poor medium for passionate exchanges!

Although negative karma may sometimes be given "unfairly", I'm not convinced that we should revoke the right to award it. It serves a purpose: it shows that someone feels aggrieved by your words.

That person's grievance might be completely unreasonable. Nonetheless, the negative karma is a reminder that some interactions have been unedifying. That might be the other person's "fault", but perhaps the negative karma is a hint about what kind of interactions to avoid in the future, just as the positive karma is a hint about what kind of interactions to seek.

That's all it is though: a hint. It's not a good assessment of your value. Take it with a pinch of salt.

On the subject of unedifying forum interactions, I think that Mike Reed's Flame Warriors is salutary and entertaining reading. I'm ashamed to admit I sometimes behave like Royalty, and occasionally I've assumed the poise of the Kung-Fu master (and been secretly pleased with myself, of course); but I'm pleased to say the BC forums are largely devoid of such amusing pettiness. ;)

20. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    on the converse end....would it be a disincentive for low karma posters to continue posting? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.