need tips to increase stroke power

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 98745, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

nah. can't go wrong with a stronger core.

2. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Have to disagree with you. Proper technique is crucial to transfer power.
    Without it stronger core will have minimal impact.

3. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

yup, you go ahead and do what you want.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

a strong core will help agility/balance/recovery etc, but without technique, will not help power as rogerv2 agrees

a weak core, with excellent technique, will still get some power

and obviously a strong core with excellent technique will ultimately get the most power

(and borbor, i'm aware you're an avid golfer, so you may have over estimated the general knowledge of core use in badminton sport, as i'm pretty sure not too many are aware of it; hence learning the proper use of technique of using the core muscles in the kinetic chain is more important than strenthening the muscles itself, which can be done after proper technique is achieved)

#24 visor, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. 98745

98745 Regular Member

good son
    nice one.. what training do you do to improve the kinetic chain? from my understanding the kinetic chain in static is rotate hips>>shoulder>>elbow>>wrist >>fingers

6. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Try golfing.

7. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

don't need to; that's another rabbit hole he doesn't need to go into :D

i think 98745 is overthinking it. Want to train ur kinetic chain for smash & clear? Throw an "American" football with a spiral to your designated target (ceiling for clears, downfield for smashes). It's THAT simple.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Here's the original article that analyzed this process. Just skip to the discussion.

https://ojs.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/viewFile/2233/2089

In your sequence, you missed out core muscles ;), as in:
    side on>rotate hip>rotate trunk with core>shoulder>elbow>wrist>fingers

Here's also an excellent description by Gollum, the author of badminton bible.com:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...inetics-for-power-strokes?p=383288#post383288

You need to get this sequence right first before you spend time working on those core muscles. ;)

9. 98745

98745 Regular Member

good son
    sounds legit thanks

enlightened!

10. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Get a "Schmidt Sports Physio Tape" and to shadow strokes with it, and you can do shadow strokes with a bottle of wine/water in your hand (but for this you need perfect technique or you will injury yourself.)
    You can also use the bottle for building up wrist and arm strength by flicking the wrist at stretch arm with bottle in the hand. But most important thing for a powerful stroke is timing you need to use every muscle from toe to the finger at the right timing.

Fu Hei Feng teaches how to smash.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU2j0hIs-pc

#30 greblu, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    Skipping (explosive movement to get under shuttle, jump power to elevate off the ground)

Trunk twist (core power transfer from start of smash position)
    http://eximg.twm.ms/Female_Exercise-Band-Trunk-Rotation_3.jpg

Internal shoulder rotation (smash power)
    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN-fDuM4Y2g_8lH5hcnzbljq6aSlUtVTUDy32jDK7WE_a5BkQaPg

Wrist twist (whip acceleration and power transfer)
    http://www.leeapperson.com/1newpics/1wrist/rotatedumbbell.jpg
    (dont use so many weights like the pic)

In my opinion: go for low-low/medium weight at high repetitions. all other exercises help with general strength but do not contribute greatly if at all to smash power. e.g. i wouldnt spend any time on biceps, pullups, deadlifts etc except for general fitness.

borbor - woodchopping is excellent
    xtc - powerball is excellent
    98745 - correct technique and footwork is excellent (look at womens internationals, they're not beefed up yet smash better than most men (non internationals))

12. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

For smash, one of the most important part is the supination of the wrist. Once you get this right, your smash power will really improve. Next you can work on the actual swing power and getting your body twist motion into it. This worked for me, maybe it will work for you also.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

yep... even our local provincials ladies players can hit harder than us who are not properly trained, myself included :p... With proper technique, you can make the best and most of whatever little core muscle you have;)

14. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Each and every one of us is built differently, some have fast feet, some have fast hands, some have powerful arms, some have strong core muscle, some have strong wrists and all our brians work differently. Some can hit the bird far and fast using wrist and arm with little help from the body. If you are not blessed with these natural gifts, then you need to borrow power from all your body parts. If your wrist doesn't give you enough power, borrow power from your arm, then shoulder turn, then hip turn, then your feet(push off from the ground). Don't forget having a relax grip.

15. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Each and every one of us is built differently, some have fast feet, some have fast hands, some have powerful arms, some have strong core muscle, some have strong wrists and all our brians work differently. Some can hit the bird far and fast using wrist and arm with little help from the body. If you are not blessed with these natural gifts, then you need to borrow power from all your body parts. If your wrist doesn't give you enough power, borrow power from your arm, then shoulder turn, then hip turn, then your feet(push off from the ground). Don't forget having a relax grip. If one can co-ordinate all body parts and time it properly, the rest will become easy. It takes patience and practise. Please correct me if I am wrong. I truly want to know the proper way. Thanks

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

deja vu

17. ___JVM

___JVM Regular Member

@ Texaco
    Leave your racket in its "pouch" and swing/smash with it a couple of times, afterwards your racket will feel lighte
    before any match I do this for a minute and it really warms up your wrist, don't overdo it though or you'll strain it

18. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Loosen up your wrist before smashing. You will get more power.