Please review on GOSEN RYOGA SERIES

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jason1975, May 27, 2011.

1. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

I do not have the chance to try these rackets. In fact, I have only played with very few modern hi-end rackets as I had given up on badminton for quite a while and pick it up again recently. The racket frame and shaft also taper towards the end, speed is decent. It might not match the arc-zs, but should be one of the closest in the market.

Notice: I did NOT play with the arc-zs, it's only my guessing.

2. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

haha ok.. thank again for sharing your experience on Shiden. Hope to hear more reviews from you soon :)

3. asurada

asurada Regular Member

#43 asurada, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Ok I am truly sorry, its just a little bit weird why they release a black issen. I cant find it any way on the site. Its not on the official site either. Glad you show it to us..

5. ycsia

ycsia Regular Member

can anyone compare shiden and slash z?

6. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

i only used z slash for a while before.. I will write a simple review about my first impression of z slash and shiden when i get my shiden next week =]

7. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

There are few people that use gosen rackets because they are not as popular as yonex so it is hard to find reviews about them :(

8. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

Probably because of the relatively high price of Gosen's racket, on-par with YY's. However, YY has top players like Lee Chong Wei, Taufik and Gade, people are more willing to rry their rackets. Even Li Ning has Lin Dan to back them up. What happens to Gosen is that very few people(including top players) have played with Gosen's racket, together with the high price, people are more reluctant to try them. What a vicious cycle.

9. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Yea that's very true. I choose to buy gosen racket instead of yonex racket because I want to try out something new. Yonex is too popular and many people are using them. Gosen got good quality rackets but the price is one of the factor that people do not want to try gosen racket:(

10. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Is it actually true that they are going to release a Black Issen? I still think that the red one is way better. Dont know if we can trust that site

#50 jason1975, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  11. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

12. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

ASAIK, their rackets' shafts are pretty famous amoung Japanese badminton society. Stiff enough to provide sufficient stability, while can be flexed to give you the extra punch. As mentioned before, i cannot feel that much, it might due to my insufficient technique even though i consider myself intermediate to advanced level. Another reason might be i hadn't played with other hi-end rackets. I don't know how it is like when using other rackets.

Might be trying some later, probably the MX80 or even the TC700.

13. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

I don't know a lot about Rakuten but it's like ebay of Japan. The site is fine, but not sure if the seller is trustworthy.

14. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

MX80 is also a good racket. It will probably be the next racket I am going to get :D

Ahhh.. so its like ebay of Japan lol.. cool..

15. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

Yea, MX80 is getting an almost perfect from BCers, even those who doesn't like stiff rackets. That surprises me a lot. It seems like it's a racket, might not for everyone, but for most of the players with solid fundamentals.

However, it's a struggle to me. MX80 seems like a better doubles' racket than a singles one. The shiden, from my experience, is also kind of suitable for doubles, singles as well. It's even-balance, might even be slightly head-light if you use thick grip. It's fast through the air. So, I am really think of the necessity of getting another doubles racket, as i play mostly singles with my friends.

16. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

I like to put only overgrip on racket, coz I dont really like thick grip. What kind of feel will a thin grip on shiden give? Will it feel abit heavier than using a thick grip?

17. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

I am using a thin overgrip wrapping over the original grip. It feels very light already. I am using Zymax62 which is very thin strings, it might feel a little bit heavier if you use thicker strings.

I guess a thick grip may even make the racket "feels" lighter as it will become more head-light. Both of my RSL X5 white and Gosen Ryoga Shiden are 3U, and i use the same overgrip. The X5 feels a lot heavier as it's more head-heavy. Even my girlfriend thinks my Shiden is a lot lighter.

18. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Haha.. what a coincidence.. I used to own RSL x5 white as well.. It feels heavy and uncomfortable for me to use. I dont know why I cant play well with me so I sold it to get Shiden lol.. I got the same feeling as what you said

19. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

haha we have similar taste don't we?
    Past: RSL X5 white
    Present: Gosen Ryoga Shiden
    Future: Victor MX80

I think the X5 is fine, as a racket that I play with when i am tired. I strung it at 24/26, should go higher, but hat's already pretty high for a lady players. My GF thinks it's feel cool so i do not intend to sell it. The downside to me is not the weight, i am fine with this apparent heaviness, but the flex. It's too flex for me, but it makes things easier when i play with beginners and teach them. So, i still keep it.

20. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Haha yea we do :D

X5 is a good racket but it probably just doesn't suit me because of the flex. Its too flex for me as well, with the combination of head heavy which makes me harder to use. I strung it at 27 lbs which is probably another reason why it is hard to use. I usually strung at 25lbs. I prefer a stiffer and lighter racket such as shiden. And X5 is really cool, and I gave a few thoughts before selling it lol, and I finally sold it =="