Badminton Vancouver

Discussion in 'Badminton Vancouver' started by bad-vancouver, Aug 2, 2011.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Will there be a pro shop and what are you planning on carrying?

2. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

I would assume that a proper badminton facility would have a pro shop. What would you ideally like to see carried in the pro shop?

3. bad-vancouver

udonming, I would never talk about Badminton Vancouver as being a masterpiece. Like all new things, its a work in progress and there will be the bumps along the way. I can only wish in my wildest dreams that I am working towards creating a masterpiece and for the time being I will have to be satisfied that I have done as much as I can into attempting to create a masterpiece. I think Badminton Vancouver will always be a work in progress, constantly looking for ways to improve the badminton experience. I hope that you will enjoy the new badminton centre by continuing to show your support if you like what we have done.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    bad-vancouver,

You're heading in the right direction here. If it's a masterpiece, people will naturally come. All ventures and initiatives come with risks. Nothing will be built if nobody risks anything. Good luck with it and hopefully what you built will keep customers coming back for more!

5. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer
    As Kwun mentioned, Seattle Badminton Club (open last December) and Bellevue Badminton Club.
    We were able to build the floor cost effective, basically, 3/4 inch rubber pads on the bottom and 2 layers of 3/4 inches wood on top.
    I think typical suspended/floating floor, has 1 layer of pad and 2 to 3 layers of wood on top.

Also the type of finish coating can give you the grip you want.

6. bad-vancouver

Did you build them both clinton? Seattle Badminton Club looks really nice with that finished floor. What brand of in ground net posts are you using?

7. bad-vancouver

all the speakers are now wired up

photo1.jpg

8. bad-vancouver

so I'm curious, anybody here on badmintoncentral play early in the morning before they go to work?

9. CanucksDynasty

I guess something equivalent to whatever ClearOne has. Shoes, stringing, rackets, grips, shuttles, clothing, etc. Ideally...it would be fully loaded and competitively priced so that I don't even have to think about going anywhere else (ie. Tads). But I don't think that's feasible. I prefer Yonex and Victor brands.

Right now...I want a backpack to carry only my gear. Looking at getting the Victor BG610 (in either blue or green color). If I can't find that locally (and at a good price)...I may buy it online.

10. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer
    yes, did help out building both clubs, a little more involved on SBC.

The posts were fabricated by a shop locally.

11. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

I was wondering how come the other clubs don't think about this- there should be a small greeting or resting area with big screen LED TV showing international badminton games, players can have a drink, watch video and discuss about techniques on individual badminton stars.

12. CanucksDynasty

Don't forget the free Wifi!!!! :D

Probably a small cafe would work. But now your entering into a different kinda business (maybe need more permits/license?). Big screen LED TV would be nice but it's an overhead cost that may or may not bring in more customers.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    one part that most of the badminton clubs in N America has not done well is how to make the whole badminton playing experience more involving for the client.

almost all places we have seen is basically a shell (building) and then the club owner add in essentials like the front desk, shop, courts, and some seating, but very few more.

so what happens then is that patrons treat the club as a badminton playing club, they go there, plays badminton, chit-chat with some friends, and then leave.

clubs should really be more than just a badminton club, it should have more amenities to get their members more involved, how about other facilities like a workout location? i know some people would gladly terminate their $50+/month 24hr Fitness membership if the local club has better fitness equipment.

how about a lounge to hang out? a nice TV with tv shows, badminton videos, etc, while sipping a drink on the side. a kids area will be awesome for the patrons who has children to deal with and if they can just entertain themselves, that will be excellent.

basically, badminton clubs nowadays needs to be upgraded to be truely a club in the westernize way. go away from the concept of just being a shell with courts and net, involve the customer more. then we will evolved to the next level.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @kwun, good points raised, and I do know that we have quite a few such clubs in Toronto, and am sure you will find such clubs in most metros. I think one of the prime factors in operating a club around "racquet sports" (squash brings in a pretty good clientele as well) but offering other services and features, is the location. From what I understand, BV is not exactly suited to be such a club since it appears to be located in a predominantly industrial area. It is (possibly) not in an upscale area, or a shopping area, or entertainment area. I may be entirely off the mark here, but these are just my thoughts...

15. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    cold air settles. you don't need to AC the whole place. hot air will remain at the top.

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Probably more reason to provide some of those services so that customers don't have to leave after their games to acquire them. Maybe partnering with someone who's willing to open a bistro with small seating area inside the building. People don't like to travel too far for their wants, especially when they're hungry or thirsty after a long session. At least have a fitness center that caters to light to moderate workout to complement the sport.

17. bad-vancouver

be careful of what you wish for :cool:

18. bad-vancouver

udonming, I don't know, I suppose these are decisions weighed by other badminton centres on whether or not they are necessary to play badminton. As for discussing techniques on individual badminton stars, isn't that what badmintoncentral is for? :D

19. bad-vancouver

you are correct! Works even better when you 33' ceilings.

20. bad-vancouver

all fantastic points kwun, if I didn't know any better I'd say you hacked into my brain. As for a modern badminton club with all the ammenities such as fitness centre, child minding built in a westernized way; they do exist, unfortunately for us poor folk they are called country clubs. Your knowledge of facilities is more extensive than my own, do you know of any facilities that offer all your suggestions? (other than country clubs) I whole heartedly agree about badminton centres being more modern and becoming destinations rather than just another place to hit the birdie around.