Aeroplane Black, quality degraded or fake?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by badder, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    Since everyone loved the old ones, how about reverting them back?

2. goodfunsmash

goodfunsmash Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestion!
    This is the absolute number one on the list that we are working with the factory. However, there are challenges, mainly cost and shortage of the cork materials.

3. goodfunsmash

Dear fellow badminton enthusiasts and players,
    We would like to report some more updates to the issue:

1. There is a worldwide shortage for the natural cork material. In fact, the material is in such a high demand that the price has increased by several folds in the past few years. It will get even worse due to limited resources, pretty much like the shortage of wood and only much worse. Those trees cannot grow enough or faster, unfortunately.
    2. Even if they can get them and pay for the super high price, they may never get enough for the high end shuttlecock market, which is also on the rise.
    3. You might have noticed that even some of the corks for the high end wines are no longer made of whole cork oak due to the higher cost and shortages.
    4. All EG1130, SG1130 and G1130 that are sold in the US market are 100% made from goose feather. And Aeroplane is the only one factory that can still make the claim.
    5. A special series of EG1130 that would have the all natural cork is being discussed and evaluated. Please allow sometime. Basically, reverting back the old ones and it will cost more.
    In short, the cost of materials and labor are on the rise, fast, as well as the high end badminton market. This is the worst combination for the consumers, as well as for the factories.

We would also like to conduct a survey to better serve all of us:

1. How much did you experience the 3 layer cork affecting the quality (flight, durability and consistency) of the EG1130? From you own experience, please.

A. Did not really notice the performance difference, just the look of the shuttles.
      B. 5% worse in performance.
      C. 10% worse in performance.
      D. 15% or more.
    2. Do you think it is worth the same percentage of increase in price for the shuttlecock material to be reverted back to all natural cork? Yes or No.
    3. If "No" on #2, do you think it is worth an 8% to 10% of increase in price for the shuttlecock material to be reverted back to all natural cork? Yes or No.

Disclaimer:
    The percentages of the price increase mentioned above are totally hypothetical and for survey purpose only. They were NOT informed or suggested by the factory, as those are still unknown until the factory finalized the details with their suppliers.

Thank you, again, for your support!

#43 goodfunsmash, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I was at a local store that were selling Chao Pai shuttles. They had several shuttles cut open so you could see the cork material. There was a direct correlation in price to cork material. The more cork it had...the higher the price.

I guess if you want all cork...you have to pay the price. :crying:

5. badder

badder Regular Member

I have asked a few friends who have been using Aeroplane Black for years and want to know if they noticed anything. They either already or are going to switch to other brand. So this is already the answer. I bought mine because I didn't know the material has been changed.

I personally have tried many top grade shuttlecocks from Aeroplane, RLS, Chaopai, Victor and so on. The only reason I like the Black label is the head. The Victor Champion#1 or RLS Classic are not natural cock material. I don't know how Chaopai Red is doing. It was all natural cock.

If my memory is correct, the Aeroplane Green label never used all natural cock. However, I don't recall that the head of Green label deformed this badly as this batch of Black label. Basically, this batch head material is not up to the top grade, even just compare with other brand that doesn't use all natural cock.

Rating the performance is not easy. It has more to do with personal feeling. If you ask me, I feel like it get worse more than 50%. It destroyed the brand name.

I don't understand why using three layer structure. Using a thin layer natural cock on the feather side doesn't improve any performance but only makes it look better, like plastic surgery, useless, cheating. Why not add that portion to the bottom to make the head side a little more stronger, if any?

#45 badder, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Cork availability has been dwindling for many years now. Many wine makers have resorted to various artificial enclosures which not only cost less but is more effective!

It goes to show if there is enough research, a technology will be developed to improve things, even in a highly traditional industry like wine which takes years to change.

If wine can do it, badminton can.

7. badder

badder Regular Member

To me, it is not the matter of we want all natural cock or not. The problem is that we paid and thought we would get all natural cock as before, but instead, get synthetic ones. If I knew it was not all natural cock, I would have other choices.

8. CanucksDynasty

@badder - I just bought Chao Pai Red (see Chao Pai thread) from a local store. I'll post my findings there when I destroy one during play. Sadly from my bad technique rather than a strong powerful smash. :eek:

9. CanucksDynasty

I get what you're saying. I would feel like I was cheated too.

10. badder

badder Regular Member

So, for Chaopai Red, are they still all natural cock? If so, then it is an alternative.

11. badder

badder Regular Member

yes, please post some feedback, very interested in.

12. CanucksDynasty

For some reason...that and Chao Pai Purple were not cut open. So I'll have to do it myself.

13. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Replace all "cock" with "cork" please. :D

14. badder

badder Regular Member

Ha, so it is shuttleCOCK, with CORK.

15. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Shuttlecock is fine. But all the comments about "all natural cock", "not natural cock material", etc makes me LOL. :D

16. goodfunsmash

To our best knowledge, the only reason that a few brands, including the much higher priced Yonex, can still use all natural cork is because they have a much lower volume and market penetration than Aeroplane. We are pretty sure, once the demand is up for their shuttles, they will go down the same route.
    We are sorry that if someone felt being "cheated" upon, which is rather a big word. We don't believe that the factory has any intention of "cheating" their "Gods" at all. There were forced to do so, just like many others.
    They have been a beloved brand name for more than 70 years, I would rather give them the credibility that they must have done something right and trust them to get this right again.
    We all have been loyal to the brand for many years, which means they have been serving us and been providing us the best value for many years.
    They owe us an answer and solution, in the mean time, we owe them a chance to correct.

Thanks!

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thank you for the clarification, goodfunsmash. it is sad to see that the quality of Aeroplane Black have been degraded by the manufacturer in this manner. i hope they will make the appropriate action to correct it.

18. goodfunsmash

Hi Kwun,
    Thank you for understanding and your support, as always!
    We totally understand the frustration and we will make sure that the factory get all the feedback we have heard.
    We are pretty sure they will provide a satisfactory answer to their loyal customers and defend their more than a half a century brand name.

Thanks!

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to be honest with you though, after my stock of Aeroplane Black get exhausted, and if by then the quality either didn't go back up or the price has increased by a few dollars, I (and many others) will likely start looking into other brands. one of the reason many people love the Black is that they are great value but once the price goes up it will start getting very close to top models from other brand and I am sure consumer will start to look around elsewhere.

20. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Yikes, thanks for the info. I am probably going to perm use RSL's or BK birds when I run out of aeroplanes as well. :s