stringing labor cost?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

As a stringer, how much tension on average do the BG66UM and BG80P lose once strung and over a 1 month period?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    3-4 lbs easily. just sitting there untouch for a day it loses one pound. play day another lbs. another day or two then it settles.

3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

So is it recommended to string 2-3lbs more than what you actually need/want to compensate for the loss of tension?

4. Guillaumeg

Guillaumeg Regular Member

When I string BG65 I always add at least 2 lbs...

The best thing you can do is play and forget your equipment stats, you'll easily adapt to a drop of 2lbs as it goes gradually. It is more difficult to cope with 2lbs too much.

The bad thing about this forum is equipment obsession

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    last timei checked, badminton alley charges 18 for labor itself.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's pretty good income. 20mins a racket that's $54/hour of labor. that's a decent engineer salary!

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    That's not counting setting the machine, inspecting the racket/machine, changing grommets, opening the packet/cutting the string. Unless these strings string like AK :p

With all that, my ~21-23 minutes string jobs usually end up being 30 minutes.

And when I watch tv at the same time, it becomes 45 minutes lol.

But yeah, it seems some people charge ridiculously low and some others charge ridiculously high. I think there needs to be a middle point where your time isn't loss and the money gained helps pay back the machine in a decent amount of time.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Currently I'm getting my rackets done by some bloke who works in a local fish-and-chip shop, who turns out to be an absolutely dynamite stringer. He charges £12.50 (about $19) including the string (BG 80).

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's true. and i was assuming non-stop stringing. whereas a engineer can take a break and check BC every "once in a while..." ;)

10. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student
    In Indonesia, there is no labor cost if you purchase the strings at the same shop. I would give about US $1 to my stringer since he's that good (there are other 2 stringers at the shop but most people want him to string their rackets lol)

11. taothao

taothao New Member

In Lincoln, NE there is only 1 shop. Stringing BG80 or BG80P when I brought it the string is $21. When you buy the string there, it's $30 something.

12. AlphaAce15

AlphaAce15 New Member

In Malaysia Labor + String

YONEX BG65 = RM 22+/-
    YONEX BG66 = RM 27+/-
    YONEX BG66 UM = RM 37+/-
    YONEX NBG95 = RM 40 +/-
    YONEX NBG98 = RM 57+/-
    APACS SLAYER 66 OR SLAYER 88 = RM 35 +/-

THESE ARE THE STRINGS THAT IUSE.

13. mysteryman592

mysteryman592 Regular Member

IT
    $40?!?!?! thats insane. BG80 strings only cost max $7 and labour with that guy is a rip off. Me and a friend of mine do string here in Winnipeg and its $15 for labour.

14. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Agreed. average somewhere between 30-45 min depending on whether i'm watching tv or not.

I charge $10 CDN for labour + cost of string.
    This is definitely on the low side (been charging this for 6-7 years). If we wanted to add inflation then it should be about $15 for labour alone to be fair.

I enjoy stringing a lot... and i get about 20 rackets a month. If it ever got to a point where i no longer enjoyed stringing or there are simply too many rackets that it would disrupt my day job, sleep, social and relationship commitments then the easiest way to reduce the number of customers is to simply raise the price.

I've never advertised and started out stringing just for club members which eventually through referrals was how i string for a lot of individuals living in the downtown area.

The only other scenario i can see myself raising the labour cost is if i sell my Gamma 6004 and go order a Yonex Protech 8 :D

15. random.badmin1

random.badmin1 Regular Member

I usually buy my own strings and take it to the shop. They charge $12 CDN for labour only.

16. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    That is assuming that the stringer buys the strings from China directly. However I can tell you that the prices are higher when buying from local (official) distributors than some stores in China/HK...

17. mysteryman592

mysteryman592 Regular Member

IT
    If you buy in canada from directy distributors they will aways be atlease $15 plus. I get mine from Eric at RKEP and Stringers world.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wholesale prices in the US/Canada for Yonex strings is higher than retail prices in Asia, esp for high end strings like NBG98. This is one of the reasons why the final stringing prices is so much higher here at retail.

19. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I charge $12 for labour or $17 including Yonex BG-65. Any other strings generally will be $20 - except the newer more expensive strings. My price is low because I am giving something back to the badminton community. Others including shops generally charge around $25 including common strings.

I string up to 27lbs on demand, but usually won't string a racquet with a crack in the frame - even a minor crack.

20. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    We had to ship the rackets with broken strings to our trusted shop (badmintonversand.de), so we paid about 24€ / racket with a Superbraid string (including shipping).
    1 1/2 years ago I started to do it myself and I take ~14 € for the labour cost.
    Sportshops (we don´t have special Badmintonshops in Germany I believe) take 20-25 € and do not really know how to do it properly, because their mainbusiness in terms of stringing is tennis and squash.