Raise racket to block net kill ?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by whatever001, Jun 16, 2014.

1. whatever001

whatever001 Regular Member

Hi all,

Is it allowed to raise racket for blocking the net kill?

Ex: I played the net kill, my friend raised the racket. The shuttle bounced back to my court.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

By law your friend firstly cannot block your follow thru stroke if you so decide to clash rackets with him.

And secondly, your friend must hit the bird with a stroke, ie not just block with a static racket.

But in social games, without an umpire present, you really can't apply these rules effectively.

3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Blocks being forbidden and a stroke being necessary is an often-repeated myth. In fact, it's so common that it was explictly addressed in my umpire's seminar. There is no such rule.

The only applicable rule in this situation is:

§13.3.4 It shall be a fault if, in play, a player obstructs an opponent, i.e. prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net

If you could not play the kill shot as you wanted to avoid a clash of rackets, your opponent has commited a fault, and the rally ends right there.

But it sounds like you played the kill shot just fine. In that case, the game continues, and if you are unable to return the shuttle that bounced back into your court, that's a point for the opponent.

#3 phihag, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

question has been answered so many times in this forum already

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Feels like 100000 times...

6. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

What about in the Japan Open when Lee Chong Wei was playing Kenichi Tago (I think) and Kenichi Tago blocked the shuttle sort of unintentionally and LCW won the point?

7. IvanT

IvanT Regular Member

Student
    Also, this happened during LCW's match against Chen Long at this year's All Englands. Wasn't called fault.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Seems that some umpires call it a fault and some don't.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

depends how far the 'blocker' is away from the net and how close the striker is to the net.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    this happens very often when LCW is involved. Sometimes it is committed by him and sometimes against him.

11. BaoQingWang

BaoQingWang Regular Member

Profesional
    Visor, which part of law saying one must hit the bird with a stroke? Please enlighten me/us. Thanks

12. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    Amleto, from your answer it seems there must be some standard measured 'distance' in the badminton law for one to call fault which i don't think i ever read it. Could you justify?

13. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    Rob3rt, normally umpires wont. I think
    But if they call, i believe it is because the other is raising his/her racket over the net and that is a fault!

14. |_Footwork_|

No fixed rule. It's up to the umpire to judge whether one player obstructed the other players stroke or not. Yes, this rule is ambigous! Like many others in many sports...;-)

15. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    exactly, couldn't agree with you more :D

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

You can't charge someone with murder if no one died. Basically, you have to swing your racket in your follow-through to make contact with your opponent's racket to establish the fact that you were obstructed by your opponent. Otherwise, no harm, no fault. Morten Frost made the point quite clearly in his commentary.

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If that were the case (and it's not, because faults have been given without contact) that would be a very irresponsible rule(having to make contact).

In answer to the OP there is a rule that states you can not impede a follow through, sadly nobody knows how to apply it. There is no pattern that can be drawn from when it is called or not by umpires and the rule itself is in no way specific enough for an answer to be given.
    [MENTION=24009]Footwork[/MENTION] I can only think of blocking in squash(not even as ambiguous) but I am struggling with any other sports rules as ambiguous as this one. This rule is applied so inconsistently it is pointless

18. |_Footwork_|

Without any doubt: This rule is ambiguous! A lot of judgement involved on the side of the umpire. Everyone judges certain situations in one way or the other, some situations might not even be clear in slomo.

The question is: Is this rule in any way critical/detrimental for the sport itself? I think it isn't! It's a rule that is very rarely needed (how often do we see such points? Once every 10 matches? How many of them are judges correctly? 80%? Makes one wrong decision every 50 matches or so (numbers are random, but you guys got my point!?)). It's nothing we should care about!

Just to give another example of ambiguous rules: Soccer. What constitutes a "foul" is never clear. It can't be defined perfectly. Some refs are more strict, others let the players almost kill themselfes.
    How many wrong decisions do we have per game? 3? 5? 10?

I think the net-blocking rule is not perfect, but good enough. And I've yet to see a better alternative...

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Not to bring up another ambiguous rule or two, like the service and receiver fault rules, but when there're several combined perceived erroneous judgment calls in a game that are perceived erroneous by players and spectators, then that really throws fairness in the sport out the window.

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The point I think is basically who knows how many are judged correctly. Nobody can define the rule.