Ultra High Tension Stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Nov 27, 2008.

1. orfel

orfel Regular Member

Accounting Related
    hi. sorry, just cleared my messages...hope it's not that too late...

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Successfully strung up X2 Gold to 36 lbs X 38 lbs :D with NGY-95. The frame is just slightly short.

10% + on the cross does not seem to work too well with regular six-point suspension machines. If we take 31 lbs X 33 lbs as the standard and work up to 36 lbs, the cross should be 6.45% + or 38.3 lbs.

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Oh wow, that's awesome. Do you have any intentions to go higher? If so, any predictions as to the fate of the racket?

4. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

In our progressive nature with our quest for better everything, where do you expect this to end? Although equipment is getting better there is surely a limit of what rackets will be able to take. At this rate it seems your jumping a pound or two each year at least, and at this rate sooner or later you'll be at 40+lbs. :eek:

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    now it is not the racket but the string limit.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    40 seems like a nice round number. :)

7. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

yea at 40+ youll probably have to use some deep sea fishing line. Probably going to be your only option and since you're heading there anyways, might as well start using it now to get used to it :p

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no can do, deep sea fishing line wont fit thru one pass grommets
    unless of course u, just awl it.

9. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Glad to see we both came to the same conclusion! My 30x32 produced the much nicer frame shape than with the 10% rule! Performed awesome on sat and didn't break :)

Nah no need, my brother did a 38x40 with the bg 70 pro :) unfortunately that string even at breakneck tensions still feels like it should go higher, :) I wonder if a shop would be willing to string 40+ LOL I'd like to see a turbo version of that!

10. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    hmmm i wud have thort after playing with feathers it will become difficult to play with nylons agen. thing is with feathers the harder you hit them the better they respond. but nylons you get to a stage wer the nylon folds in if you actually smash them past 170-180k?

cant really play with nylons anymore as they obviously fly ridiculously after a smash now.

11. Danstevens

Student
    What racket? What stringing machine? Also, what did it play like?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    having strung my cab20 @ 34x36 on my uncalibrated ASE just now. i am starting to understand the reasons for stringing at such high tension.

not only is it a testament of one's stringing skill, including technique, patience and consistency, it is also a huge adrenaline rush, almost akin to playing Russian roulette. anytime now the racket will just give in and then as much as a couple hundred dollar will go down the drain. any creaking sound will drive shrivers down the spine.

i am not the thrill seeking type though, after my adventure tonight, i really don't think my heart can take the stress again... ;)

13. Danstevens

Student
    Now you've done it once, it'll be hard to walk away. It'll draw you back, calling you in the back of your mind, telling you to go higher.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    And all this is when I'm having trouble getting people here to string at a measly 31 pounds :(

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The key is getting your own Shuttle Express (SE) :D. But make sure the crank tensioner can go up to 40 lbs or more.

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It was not that bad. I am sure you will restring the next frame at 31 X 33 ;).

17. stan boyd

stan boyd Regular Member

dental technician/stringer
    i bought machine pro,s pro pilot 2nd hand, the tension head was not correct so i strung my ns9k sp with carlton ag66 at 35x38 it was fine 1st string job too:eek:, however to tight for me so cut them out a week later, i have strung the same racket lots of times since, to test strings out or just because i have broken them, and no probs with racket:cool:

18. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Glad to know I am not the only person feeling this way. I am not so lucky though. My SOTX CP5000 produced an extremely loud "...KaPannnnng.." when pulling my second last bottom cross (I did my cross from top to bottom). Nowadays, I am still freaking out when I hear the creaking sound. I am just a crappy stringer. :eek:

19. Danstevens

Student
    LOL because you never know when you might need to go above 40 on a badminton only machine :rolleyes:

Still, getting a Shuttle Express is a great idea, Oldhand.

Stan, that's an awesome first string job. Even though it must have been a while ago, congratulations on that and unlucky, BadFever, you'll get better.

20. 2-YOTA

2-YOTA Regular Member

To keep my rackets away from the 12 minute NASCAR
    It was strung on a Gosen 3700. Mains were 38lbs centre and tapered to 37.5lbs at the edge. All crosses were 40lbs. It was tensioned with a Wise 2086 with constant pull. One of the key things is to spend extra time to mount the racket. Ensure all points are secure and even. Because once you start pulling, theres no turning back.

How did it play? It was OK. Probably could have used another pound or two (maybe next time). The racket is rated as stiff but in reality, it is fairly flexible both in the shaft and torsionally in the head. Because of this, the high string tension doesn't "feel" as high as it probably would on a stiffer racket.

Something else to consider when stringing ... prestretching the string. I know some like it, some don't. We prestretch the string manually (and I DON'T mean that 10% pre-stretch thing on the tension head) before using for stringing. It results in better retained target tension after stringing. We had done a test of this at one of our "String-Fests". Our goal was to see if a manually pre-stretched string would hold tension better than one that was used straight out of the package. In order to do this, we had two tension heads (one was the electric Wise 2086; the other was a standard crank) both calibrated by the same scale. Two identical rackets were strung back-to-back by the same naturally aspirated stringer with white BG80:

Setup 1: Crank tensioning with MANUALLY PRESTRETCHED string.

Setup 2: Constant Pull tensioning with string straight out of package.

Result: Both rackets had near identical string tones immediately after coming off the machine. After a short sitting period (~ 1 hour), the one from Setup 2 already had a lower tone than that of Setup 1. So what we learned is that not even the electric constant pull can pull out all the stretch. That means if you're not manually pre-stretching your strings before tensioning, your final tension will be lower on the racket. Nothing wrong with that but just something to know. Anyways, happy stringing to all! ps. Hey Pete LSD: you've missed out on a few StringFest sessions already ... you better come to the next one or we're coming to invade your place and your new machine!