Calculations of Momentum P=mv, and Kinetic energy KE=(mv^2)/2 of a racket on shuttle

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by visor, May 27, 2013.

1. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    Exactly, its the same for me which is what got me thinking about it. I'm a very short, light, skinny person, but I have never really had any trouble using head heavy racquets or heavy racquets but others much bigger+stronger than me say they think their arms are about to fall off :p so I thought maybe how power and strength is channelled and through what mediums makes a difference perhaps. I don't have much muscle but it is very taut, well-conditioned muscle whereas the people that tried heavy racquets I have had, e.g. N90, VTZF and VT80, MX80 etc have been bigger but their muscle isn't as well conditioned and they also had some fat etc. so I'm thinking of how much energy is put and how much is got out and with what energy release and absorption along the way. Might give a clue to how a tiny guy like Taufik could hit the shuttle the way he did both on his backhand and forehand with power unmatched by much bigger players like Chen Long, Lin Dan, JJS, FHF etc. No one could transfer energy to the shuttle on a backhand or short swing forehand shot like him.

But its all just theory atm, need to get some of these theories tested with paper and pen, and if all makes sense, then practically later. Interesting thing about the ideal racquet weight there. I wonder how much it accounts for bp though. Maybe it could be refined to use a value of swing weight to arm weight which I suspect would be more accurate perhaps?

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

IMO Taufik can hit it as hard as FHf because Taufiks wrists look a lot more flexible pivot point and relaxed as well. I think he time his hitting so well to have strength at the point of contact exactly.(tighten grip). If you look a LD and others wrists they do not "flow" as much as taufiks and don't look as flexible, they look more rigid.

I don't think it accounts for BP at all.I am starting to think overall weight is king for power and head light and head heavy only preference either a wristy(head light) player or a more arm swing(head heavy). BTW just not to get confused, I don't think Taufik is a wristy player just that he has more flexible wrists. I see for instance LJB as a wristy player Fhf more an arm hitter.

3. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    That's an interesting idea. Ofc its known arm players prefer more flex to maximise contact time. Wristy players prefer stiff so they can transfer power faster due to their shorter swings. But now I'm thinking there could be even more to it, Like the wrist flexibility so he is able to do a longer swing and transfer energy over a greater distance unlike FHF and LD. Yh, LYB is a good example. But then I'm wondering why PG can't do the same. Ofc he moves his racquet faster than any other player when he does his deceptive shots with extraordinary control and he displays that flexibility in his wrist a lot, but he doesn't seem to be able to generate power as comfortably in overheads or backhand shots in the same way that TH does. Thanks for your input, its given me a lot to think about. Might have to learn some biology now and figure this out. I think the sliding-filament model of muscle might be worth looking at. :)

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Thanks!
    This would be a good statistical test if someone can compare e.g. average racket + shuttle speed with head heavy racket, and then compare with head light racket.

Those equations say that for head heavy racket with approximated mass at 40g, and a head light racket with approximated weight at 35g, the head light racket need only be swung 1.05% faster!

I'm pretty sure that if we got a large enough sample, we would disprove this!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Vr2 = Vr1*Mr1/Mr2*
    (Mr2+Ms)/(Mr1+Ms)

Mr2 = Mr1*Vr1/Vr2*(Mr2+Ms)/(Mr1+Ms)

Plugging in those example wts give 1.59% difference in swing speeds, not 1.05%. :) Not much difference, but still... something somehow doesn't add up.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Also another thought, since craig and Notorious have brought up shaft flex and matching biomechanics:
    do any of you play golf?

I ask because I don't but I've seen and heard how the pros have their clubs customized with respect to shaft flex, swing wt, angle, length, etc according to the player's swing profile.

Would be interesting for someone to do that for badminton. I would be the first to sign up. :D

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah I play golf and was kinda in someway looking to get the ball rolling with this discussion to get ideas and facts that i could use to at least video analyse myself and customize to some extent, and yes golf was the inspiration. In golf this is common, Joe Public can walk into one of the fitting centers and get customized clubs.

I don't think it would work in badminton though because imagine all "those" folk that use 28lb+ tension Voltric z force's or MX 80's:D After analyze the swing you have to tell them you need to use a 21lb flexi racket with an enlarged sweet spot or be better off with a Yonex mp2 junior:D.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

No, I believe I am correct
    Code:
    >>> mr1 = 0.04
    >>> mr2 = 0.035
    >>> ms = 0.005
    >>> vr1 = 40
    >>> vr2 = vr1 * mr1 / mr2 * (mr2+ms) / (mr1+ms)
    >>> vr2
    >>> vr2 / vr1

9. Superzoom

Superzoom Regular Member

Hey Smart guy. You are partially correct at best but who is nitpicking :cool:

1.0158... is 1.016 is 1.02. If you want to do rounding or lazy ok as 1.01 but DON'T calculate it as 1.05 :confused:

one step at a time and check your math specially when you are sticking with your point. :cool: Specially taking deep dive in complex equations

SZ

10. Superzoom

Superzoom Regular Member

when you go on such granular details of physics dealing with force, momentum, torque, mass, velocity as scientifically measurable characteristics as end output the input to cause this becomes secondary and non-relevent.

folks can use
    basic, Bevel, Panhandle or any other damn grip based on situations ...

By the way it's really cracking me up abt how collective wisdom is progressing on this thread and ultimately coming to same scientific discovery inclination which was made in other threads like with lighter rackets which giver faster swing speed and more wrists game style option panhandle could become more acceptable as compare to last 30-40 years.

please continue .. The more scientific discovery you will do more you will realize the EVOlUTION is already underway :rolleyes:

since this thread started becoz of that 'unusual' thread it wld be more ironic the further you will fine tune this thread the more it will support the original thread topic of lighter rackets and grip styles allowed to optimize benefit in terms of Time, Power, Control integration parameters ;)

SZ

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yeah, ok, I was dumb. twice. That's expected, though because of my low IQ.

#111 amleto, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

actually I wont bother

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Check this vid out, this is the product of evolution.
    [video=youtube;5r590F7mRTw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r590F7mRTw[/video]

This ain't gonna get done with a pan handle grip. Pronation/supination is key to being able to swing faster.

But please try to proof this wrong along with the other panhandle theory stuff.
    Due to the nature of this thread though and to forward what I have read from you before, I want tracker results and inputted figures to formula's as the only acceptable propositions.

14. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    No way a panhandle can match a full pronation. A panhandle grip will only allow wrist movement of 1/2pi radians maximum (90degrees) but a full pronation allows you to accelerate the racquet over more than pi radians (180 degrees) so your angular acceleration can accelerate the racquet over more than twice the distance so you can get a much greater speed with pronation that with panhandle. Your muscle in the wrist used for panhandle would need to be more than twice as strong and the rest of your wrist muscles, ur fingers, ur arm and most of your shoulder combined to achieve the same head speed and momentum so there is no way a pan handle grip is close to as powerful no matter what some people think. Also, the rapid deceleration on the follow through of the pan handle shots will actually tear the sarcomeres and connective tissue in your muscles apart and cause small rips in your tendons which can take over 8 weeks to heal and may never heal properly or fully if done repeatedly not to mention the pressure your nerves come under from the stretch in complementary muscle which actually squashes and stretches the nerve at the elbow causing irreparable nervous damage if done too vigorously. I cannot stress how bad smashing with a panhandle grip is for your forearm muscles and it has no power or accuracy gain. Pan handle belongs for drives and net kills. Shots requiring more power than those will just damage your wrists and arms and eventually make you incapable of playing. Pronation is more powerful, more deceptive, more accurate, easier to recover from and causes far fewer injuries with proper technique. Just so you know.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Please no panhandling talk on this thread... save it for the other one... :p :)

16. Superzoom

Superzoom Regular Member

TIME Advantage could compensate 90 degress limitation (and hence "lack of Power" consideration).

If you notice Power smash does NOT win rally. It's catching your opponent "before he / she recover" to take the shuttle and passing before that recovery wins the point. Naturally at advanced level it's Power Smash which does that and hence people relate More Power smash means better chance of winning rally and hence Power (hence Pronation).

But if you want to to "Apple to Apple" comparison than consider the "trade-off of Power Loss ? against TIME gain".

In a given TH example in (craigandy) .. TH hit that shot as 305Kmph (hitting speed) which caused oppoenent "no chance of recovery by the time his racket in the path of shuttle trajectory" where shuttle already passed him on ground (that split second difference caused by Power 305KMph smash speed).

Now assume it's Panhandle shot. Let's say Power is less but TIME is gained for hitting early (Hitting early is the characteristic of Panhandle grip) . .say by 0.1 second.

So whatever equation these guys are figureing with basic grip and time taken from racket hit to pass the opponent at say 200 km (normal Power smash speed at advanced level) .. add 0.1 second for panhandle grip hit and even probably 120 kmph could give you same effect to catch opponent before he/she recovers.

Also Pronation could be done in Panhandle (not in full effect but 50-75% of basic grip). Panhandle grip (like others is at wrist / finger level) but your elbow .. you can do the pronation of Elbow (50-75% if not 100% of basic grip hit style).

So on BOTTOM LINE effect of hittign before opponent is recovered is managed.

I am sure few genius guys here with frame by frame ability can measure a time on basic hit .. add 0.1 second (assuming it's panhandle grip hit) and figure out how much "equivalent less speed" is needed for same BOTTOM LINE effect.

SZ

17. visor

visor Regular Member

See? Too late..........

18. Superzoom

Superzoom Regular Member

Don't talk panhandle but figure out how 0.1 second TIME addition can allow reduction in speed per your equations.

Consider it as some top level business strategy consultant is helping you in your equations ;).

SZ

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

@Superzoom Again only formulas, tracker vids, etc to prove this panhandle stuff not semantics, not for this thread. Sure everyone will be happy to look at your findings in this thread if you do that. Real figures though.

20. Superzoom

Superzoom Regular Member

Just add 0.1 second and see how much speed reduction is accomodated (Bottom Line Neutral effect in Basic High power shot Vs Panhandle +0.1 second addition but less speed (due to less power).

Take 200 kmph for 0.3 second for example .. add 0.1 second (and 200 is original hit speed .. the average speed in trajectory could be 100 - 120 ? for whole duration (point a to point b) . consider air- resistance etc. and that 0.1 second addition could bring the average speed from 100-120 to 70-90 ?

Since it's MATH simulation now .. why don't you do it ... I will take your answer. THAT is IF you are interested. If not it's fine. I am not trying to prove any point. Nither do I am on any mission :)

Life will go on for everybody ...

SZ