Key for bringing badminton to the big stage: cooler camera angles?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Apr 9, 2012.

1. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I missed this. The 'gimmickery' I was referring to was things such a telestrators with commentators scribbling lines and circles every where and the inclusion of flashy graphics and such. I'm not sure what you mean by 'WWE style gimmickery', I don't watch WWE but, I'd be surprised if the WWE uses such devices.

The BWF channel on Youtube provides fairly informative commentary. Gill Clark does a reasonable job giving viewers a primer on some of the finer point of the game and guest commentators such as Morden Frost have provided fairly informative insight.

2. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Only seen the horizontal view from the sides in replays over net shots and what not. Yes, it offers a different view point and offers a sense of appreciation of speed and space, but the view point is still restricted and you still lose out from the horizontal front to back view (if you know what I mean)

We are all entitled to our own views and I still stand by my views for my own viewing pleasure based on preference. Hopefully one day, we will have a multitude of viewing options for the masses but as of now, I'm happy with my traditional camera angle :)

Justin

3. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I agree with you on this however, I'd like to see the viewing angles described by Cheung a little more often. Especially for shorter rallies were the complete rally could be shown while waiting for the next point to begin or, during towel breaks.

Either way, I don't think that this would address in any way the difficulty badminton has in breaking in to the North American market. I think there are more fundamental issues at play, which I've already mentioned in this thread.

4. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    also need to incorporate a view at the player level because to a layman the birdie often looks like it's floating when it is in fact dropping due to the high camera angle.

5. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I want to see the an eye-level or 'horizontal' view because as a player, you can get an idea of the depth and changes of height the shuttle is played at. A bird's eye view makes it harder to notice this.

If there was a change in camera angle it would allow you to better see the technique of the player.

I am not sure this would bring it anymore forward to the world sport stage.

6. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    it could only help the cause.

it helps the viewer appreciate the game more.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[video=youtube;fdY9QcnRO7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fdY9QcnRO7Y#![/video]

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

This is as close to sea sick as I get

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG] I must be cured then! Used to hate fps games because of it but watching this vid had no clue it was very much alike and no problem watching it (or maybe it's the 12inch screen :p; or the song to distract the mind) :D.

In any case iirc, someone here had already tried this for badminton (not a success imo ... iirc :D)

#29 demolidor, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Agree. I have vertigo and I stopped watching at less than 20 seconds.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Dude... we are way behind. It is time for 3D. In your face. lol. ;)

Where are the good guys gone??? ;)

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

13. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    Bizzump 10 characterso

14. SigH-Max

SigH-Max Regular Member

This German open video is very nice, thanks for posting it :)

15. crayze311

crayze311 Regular Member

[video=youtube;5k2SERV89Kw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k2SERV89Kw[/video]

16. crayze311

crayze311 Regular Member

i love to watch this . Thats really show how fast the player can reach for the birdie.

17. fauci

fauci Regular Member

In my opinion, this is the easiest thing to do to make a big difference. The BWF never seems to realize the problem. Maybe the officials never have to watch matches on TV, because they have tickets to watch live all the time.

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It is clearly pointed out in their plans to have better tv production [​IMG] (they should even have a special BWF tv director present at the Premier Super Series already as mentioned in one of their presentations a few years ago). But having a point-n-shoot camera in video mode by some reporter next to the court on a little tripod is not quite the same as having broadcast quality camera's covering every angle imaginable ;) ($$$)
    You cannot seriously want to watch a whole match filmed through a fisheye lense like some of the comments there. Nice addition for sure but you cannot even see where the shots land ...

IntroductionBWF Strategic Plan 2012-2016
    This strategic plan was adopted by the BWF Council at its meeting of 9 December 2011 and reflects the strategic focus for the organisation leading up to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

This plan reflects the new environment in which the BWF is in following significant achievements for the organisation and the sport since May 2009. This plan supersedes the 2008 – 2013 Strategic Plan.

Priority Area: 1. Television Production

Goal | Strategies – how to:

To increase and improve quality of television production.

1. Improve television production quality to HD – (quality target).

2. Improve number and range of cameras used in BWF Major Events TV production – (quality target).

3. Improve graphics package and speed gun system (quality target).

4. Improve statistics and application of statistics in production – (quality target).

5. Televise new BWF showcase events – (increase target).

6. Increase television production of BWF & CC events – (increase target)

KPI 2012 – 2016:

o Make HD mandatory for BWF Major Events from 2012 & BWF World Superseries Premier from 2014.

o Increase number of cameras to 10 with introduction of ultra slow-mo Camera from 2012.

o Investigate development of Hawkeye or other similar system for badminton. Trial to be conducted in 2013.

o Review with agency partner, the statistics currently used and how this is implemented in production in 2012. Investigate making this mandatory in the Running Order.

o Improve player profiles for television presentation in 2012 (in support of the communication strategy).

o Increase pool of high quality commentators.

o Increase television coverage of new and revised qualification structure for Thomas & Uber Cup.

o In close cooperation and support of Continental Confederations, increase television coverage of
    Continental Championship.

o Enhance production and distribution of Grand Prix events through concept and brand development of the Grand Prix series.

#38 demolidor, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  19. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Viewing angles like these are what I like. Capturing the sound of shots and movements also makes it a better experience. If possible, filter the sound of the noisy crowd:D Ultra-slow motion in most cases is a waste of time and money. The Chinese broadcasters are notorious for this.

[video=youtube;yACSiIO0l4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yACSiIO0l4E[/video]

[video=youtube;Wy1x_vGV_wY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1x_vGV_wY[/video]

[video=youtube;3zapgTud9Z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zapgTud9Z8[/video]

20. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

I think most camera positions can be lowered. High camera position gives a clear view of the whole court but not the sense of the height of the shuttle. Also, I don't mind watching a few points from the side angle, just above the net.

By the way, Lin Dan handled the interview nicely, even saluted German beer.