How strong are professionals forearm??

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Tekkai, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Anyone knows how strong are professionals players forearm?Look at shuttlers such as xie xing fang and lee chong wei. So skinny..and XXF forearm is super skinny but she can smash so strong and her overhead backhand clear is good. Even if caught off position she still can clear from base to base. I know their technique is very good but since they train with a squash racket, won't their forearm be very strong or what??but then is there even such a thing called small and strong muscles?? :confused:

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    1) Yes, their forearms are damn strong
    2) their technique is godly, yes
    3) Explosive muscles are actually really thin, and not bulky, but very powerful.

3. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

a powerful smash doesn't only come from the arm.... :rolleyes:

4. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

so how do I get this explosive muscles? will training wif a squash racket help?
    What about doing reverse and normal wrist curls with a 5kdg dumbell for like 50reps and 3 sets? Or more?:)

5. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student

Hi....

I've trained in China at BWF Training center for a month and with English No.1 Aamir GHAFFAR for a 4months....I've learned that a powerfull Smash is not all about the power, neither all about the technique, But first you have to make correct your hitting area, position and then it comes to power......And to hit hard you need be very strong physically......your muscles have to be really explosive...no matter if they're not big in size...........I saw chinese players doing dumbells for forearams and wrist with 1000 reps twice or thrice a week. and they would use squash racket for 1000 strokes twice or thrice a week.........But Still Remember that technique is the first thing....................

6. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

:eek::eek::eek:holy crap! 1000 reps...do u noe hw heavy the dumbells are? And those players u saw are make or female??

7. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

man i'd like to know this too.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    size doesnt always mean everything...its due to their muscle fibres...how tight and how fast they twitch. just like runners...the faster you are its because you have fast twitching muscle fibres.

etc etc they actually probably arnt that physically strong its moreor less technique....i no ppl who are weak as anything but have a killer smash.

9. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Ya their technique is perfect but they are very strong too wad..if not why r the male professionals shuttlers shots more powerful than the female's shots?
    Take a look at this video here, see how Zhang Ning trains and how heavy the barbell is..If im not wrong, I think the barbell is around 15kg altogether and see from 8.08min to 8.34min
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_gdlEh7O4

10. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

Bradmyster is quite right. Your body has two kinds of mucle fibres : fast twitch and slow twitch. I beleive that your msucle fibres can only specialize into one of these. The fast twitch muscles are the ones that generate explosivity, with the lack of endurance. The slow twitch muscles are the opposite - endurance instead of speed. Thats why sprinters, and those guys that run and catch balls in baseball (I'm sorry I dont really follow baseball that much) are not supposed to train slow - becuase if you train slow, you get slow (my training mantra =P). From this you can say that sprinters have more devloped fast twitch fibres, whereas endurance runners have more slow twitch muscle fibers. The part I am not 100% about is the size of the muscles. I do beleive that fast twitch muscles are more tightly corded and sinewy than slow twitch ones.

To extrapolate this into badminton, what is required in the forearm would then be fast twitch fibres, which I think would be rather tight, and corded, instead of bulky.

11. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

May I know how to get this fast twitch fibres and where did you get this info about fast twich fibres??I never heard of them before?:confused: [​IMG]

[​IMG]Take a look at this pictures..their forearm doesn't look strong..but actually it is very strong rite? how do they train them?

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Actually, fast-twitch fibres are much larger than slow twitch fibres, and they increase in size with appropriate training, a process called hypertrophy. This is how people who lift weights are able to grow their muscles and runners don't.

However, there is also another adaptation that comes with training: fast twitch fibres tend to become slower twitch with more training volume. So, some of your prized IIb (fastest twitch) may become IIa (not as fast, better endurance) if you use them regularly. It's because of this that sprinters might sometimes train as infrequently as once a week - they need to conserve their explosiveness for their training sessions and competitions.

To get back to the discussion on arm size and power, it's important to note that the muscles and their fibre ratios are not the critical factor. Instead, what matters are the signals your nervous system sends to your muscles when it wants them to contract. For instance, let's say you have 0.100 to swing your racquet -> how many of the appropriate muscle fibres actually fire? You want 100% for maximum power. However, even at 100% you also have to:
    a) maximally relax all of the opposing muscles
    b) synchronise the muscle fibres so they all fire at once

This is known as intra-muscular coordination, which lies somewhere on the line between technique and physique, as opposed to extra-muscular coordination (technique only) and muscular strength (physique only).

13. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

u can generate alot of power if your technique is good even though you have weak forearms right?

14. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

15. mulanfox

mulanfox New Member

technique is a critical matter..as what i observed..a lot of muscle not necessary come with power, more important is the flexibility of body and technique that use..too much muscle will decrease the flexibility..our body actually act like a spring, strength is transfer from foot til the racket, as you can observe mostly they will bend their body (jump) and strength release by twice body from right to left and the racket swing from back side according to body twice (or movement) and finally hit the shuttle at the highest point and then wrist work.

*a typical posture for receive a high serve or smash (static) is,left side of ur body is facing front and right side of your body is facing back,left hand above the level of the shoulder and slightly bend and slightly upward, right hand hold racket close to yourself and below shoulder level and slightly downward, central of body gravity focus on right foot, a scissors jump follow by a swing racket to hit the shuttle at the highest point and then wrist work.*

you can go watch on youtube for the smash skill...different of the high serve with smash is in the contact point/hitting point

pls correct me if anything wrong

16. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

I think if your technique and contact point is correct then most of the power is generated from the swing speed. I have a friend who has no muscles, but his swing speed is faster than mine and he can generate more power than me. Anyone noes any training methods to increase your swing speed?

17. mulanfox

mulanfox New Member

because your friend no muscle and body provide a greater flexibility..
    swing speed is coordinate by your body movement, if you stand straight and static, you pull racket from behind, it wont generate lot of power but if you coordinate with your body movement (bend or twist), some power has been generated and waiting you to swing, the problem is how you want to swing and which swing should use???

is more like a physics, related to kinetic energy...

at this moment, lots of observation through slow motion of badminton video clip could help you to more understand above swing technique.

point you need to focus is on:
    jump: how there jump and why there jump like that
    body: how there useful they body
    arm: racket position from ready until stand-by, wrist-work, contact point (must high), position after swing

as you can see, they flow before hit the shuttle from body, arm, wrist, shuttle, the basic concept is that.

#17 mulanfox, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  18. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

how long were the weight lifting training sessions?
    don't they lose some of the explosiveness with the volume of reps?

19. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_gdlEh7O4&feature=PlayList&p=6B48BCDBB66B87CC&index=25
    8:24ish
    like a 1000 of these reps?
    I still don't know the answer... anyone know?

So how often should shadowing be done? once or twice a week tops? Anymore probably benefit endurance at cost of speed?
    What happens if you constantly wall practice would you lose fast twith fibres or not because birdie is coming back quick over and over.

20. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, I'm replying after about 3 years now, too late, but better late than never. I suddenly opened this thread and found that I had left comments here and didn't reply to some of you who asked me questions. Sorry for that. Ah man, this thread and comments brought me memories of when I used to play badminton extensively. I don't get to play badminton now, I quit playing shortly after the comments above.

So lets get to the questions, I said "I saw chinese doing a thousand reps of dumbells and 1000 reps of squash rackets". By that I meant that they would do 1000 reps with light 5-8lb dumbells for wrist and forearm, and another 1000 combined strokes of badminton style with squash racket, e.g backhand, clears, drives, flicks, all mixed. And regardless of gender, the men and women players would do that.......Have a good time guys, and good luck playing...........I love Badminton, I will return soon and continue playing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qE1QPy5ds

That's me playing after a long break.....