Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    First and foremost, sorry to mods for breaking my promise. But i has to assert from the beginning, she is not a good and modest player to begin with. The Chinese has to teach this girl an expensive lesson.

The aura and words of arrogance is too much to bear. Look at what she said after winning the Bronze by default:

Source cited: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/london-olympics-2012/news/My-bronze-will-inspire-youngsters-to-take-up-badminton-Saina-Nehwal/articleshow/15355165.cms

Saina said that the Chinese players were now "scared" of her as she has beaten quite a few of them in recent past.

"At least I know they are scared of me, I can see it in their eyes, I am happy to scare six or seven of them. I just have to work out a good strategy again them. I have to be ready for them," she said.

B
    ut whatever, a win is a win. I am glad she got put in her place by Wang Yihan.

The person I would entirely blame for Wang Xin's end of the career and Wang Yihan's rightful gold is Li Xuerui.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Show some respect, her opponent was a game up, then suffered a career threatening injury, and the she hits out with "I was going to win anyway" that is really disrespectful in my opinion.

When you watch tennis, and someone retires injured, in the interview after they will compliment their opponent, not come out with, "I was far too good for my opponent anyway"

And what's with the booing for Wang Xin, that's terrible!

Whatever it is, it's not right, she is not a invincible player, it's just not right in my opinion.

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

posted in the other thread

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Can BWF disqualify the crowd? :crying:

5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Congratulation Saina Nehwal for winning the Olympic Bronze medal for her country India...................well done !

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Not sure, maybe BWF can look into it in the future.

7. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Reading her recently released biography - It says she really struggles with the weight issues. When she went for training in (i think malaysia), she put on 8kgs. Gopichand meticulously monitors her diet. Even if she has to eat ice cream, she calls Gopi for permission. Chocolates are strict no.

Her personal trainer, who was made to sleep in same room as Saina, noticed she quietly woke up at 5am and ate chocolates on a regular basis!

She never trains with girls. Always with boys, to compensate for the quality of Chinese players.

Interesting read. Its more like a biography of Gopichand than Saina :D . But an interesting insight into Indian badminton scenario and the politics involved.

On comparison with Sania Mirza - Saina said, Saina only has good rankings, while she has won superseries' which are equivalent to grand slams. (a touch or arrogance again!).

She seems quite an introvert person, who has issues dealing socially.

Marriage - Had a proposal from a well known international boxer from Haryana, which they didnt consider. The boxer is not named. (could he be Vijender Singh?) loll

#927 paroxysmal, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  8. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

sorry but dont know where you got that from. It was Gopichand who said this

This is what she said

No harm in criticising anyone. but atleast get your facts straight

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

My source is reliable, in fact it's an Indian source:

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINDEE87306020120805?irpc=932

"The fourth seed Nehwal insisted she would have won the bronze anyway and that her opponent was tiring."

"It's sad, of course, but I was very confident that in the second game I could pull it off. Maybe she said 'Maybe I don't want to play'," she said."

I'll accept your apology in advance...

10. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

you interpret, "It's sad, of course, but I was very confident that in the second game I could pull it off." she said." and It's OK, not too good. I was playing well at the end but unfortunately she went down. I was lucky to get this medal" as "going to win anyway as my opponent was tiring"?

great job!

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

That's what the interview says, last time I checked Reuters is a reliable news agency, it isn't the Daily Mail.

12. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

well, i wouldnt attribute a quote to someone unless they have been quoted saying it. Anyway, i guess we can agree to disagree on this.
    Great forum, btw, happy to have stumbled upon it by accident. :)

13. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT

I am certainly not glad from what I read but I dont see anything wrong with what she said. All you fans of Chinese players just need a reason to bash Saina because she is only one of the two players who has posed a serious challenge to the Chinese players.

I know for certain none of Indian sports people (except for cricketers) know how to tackle press conference. If I ask you that if you are scared of your peers, who are better than you, would you say it outright that yes I am scared of them.... I am sure you would say no and deny it in order to keep your pride and try to ascertain your position. At least that's what I would have done and that is exactly what Saina did. I am not saying this to defend Saina here but you dont know her personally, you dont know who she is or what she is. You only know what is written or shown in the media about her. The last thing I would do is believe in what Indian media writes or shows. Trust me, 'Coz I am Indian. There were many times when she was quoted out of context. This done to sensationalize a really low interest subject.

But I have to accept that she went a bit far by saying that they are scared of her...LOL! That made me laugh though... Everybody knows Chinese usually dont get scared, but yes they got worried and they came up with a better game plan to counter her. That's how Chinese operate, if they feel threatened they come up with a way to win by hook or by crook (be it by playing better or by throwing away matches), and that's how winners do it. No wonder Americans are fuming when the Chinese are rubbing their noses in the dirt. I dont know when our Indian sports people will learn this. Saina for sure doesnt know how to speak in public and acknowledge the opponent but that doesnt mean Chinese players are any better. Its only that they are not allowed to speak in public and if they do speak it has to be script provided by the CBA. Where as India is a democracy and everyone can speak their minds freely. I wonder how many of the Chinese would fare better than Saina at her age if they are allowed to speak freely.

Yes Saina has shown arrogance but I would be glad to see if she backs up her words 'coz arrogance is sometimes a trait in a born winner. Saina is one of them. In all, I would rather prefer they shut their mouths and talk with their rackets keep quiet even if they are winning. That's the best way to keep yourself focused and keep yourself out of such useless issues where others are waiting for them to happen so that they can start throwing mud at you.

Coming to Wang Xin, although my favorite Chinese is Shixian but I still feel sorry Xin for having to lose a medal in such a way. I cant say if she would have won it but I can certainly say that when she left the game after the first set she was very much on top of Saina. My heart breaks when an athlete puts so much effort for four years to just get to this point and then lose it this way. Its not fair. But you know what's even more unfair, when a player like Li comes out of no where, riding on the form of her life and snatching the prize away from the players who have been toiling for four years...LOL

It would not be right to put blame on Li for she did what she wanted and what she could for herself and for her country. But yes we are bound to feel a bit unfair. This goes to show that nothing's for certain, beware all you Chinese fans (only the arrogant ones) dont think that Chinese will rule for ever... for there a time will come when someone better will come along...

#933 rahuldarga, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  14. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT

Ok in what way saying "but I was very confident that in the second game I could pull it off" mean that "I would have won anyway"?

But then if you read further down Li says "If Wang Xin played to the end, I believe the bronze medal would have belonged to the Chinese team"

I will not ask for an apology nor I would expect one... Coz its not worthed... Coz it would be like insulting Wang Xin...

15. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Coming to her biography again, the author states that she and Kashyap came very close to each other. Gopi didnt like it. According to him, it would hamper their game. This didnt go down well with both of them and that was the major reason of the rift between Gopi and Saina.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This may seem the wrong time to chime in, but I'd like to get this off my chest, before more incendiary posts are made in various threads, and spoil the feeling of celebration and reconciliation after the WD debacle.

I just love Wang Xin's energy, and the way she plays. Ever since last year, I have wanted her to get the Gold at the OG, and I truly believed she was the one who could do it.

For some reason in 2012, I began noticing that she was good for over 2 games, but seldom had the juice to either make it to a decider, or to win a decider against a top-level opponent.

That told me, if Saina was running her close in Game 1, her chances of winning game 2 (and subsequently the match) were less than 50-50.

On a personal level, I was really devastated about this because I just so wanted to see her on top of the podium.

Does this detract from Saina's achievement? Frankly, no. If I could figure out WX's new limitation, the Indian coaches must have done so before me. Was Saina wrong in what she claimed? I don't think so. Could she have phrased it differently? Maybe. Am I going to go to town and roast her for this? No. Just as I wouldn't roast WYH or any other young player for an apparent verbal faux-pas.

It's just the less amiable, and less tolerant (and a few racially-motivated) people on the forum who keep on and on pushing these issues, and using them as springboards for verbal and character-defaming assaults. IMO they give this forum a bad colour, promote intolerance and bickering, and spread a toxic energy which is not good for anybody who participates in the discussion.

For those who can understand, I ask: please step away from the edge. To those who don't wish to understand or whose agenda is contrary, I say: go with it; you will change nothing; you just expose and strengthen your own mental defects.

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I'm just quoting what the article said, I think had Wang Xin remained at least 90% she woul have won.

I was asking for an apology cause I was "accused" of not having my story straight when I had the source.

18. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

well if you want to keep at it then fine
    you were accused of not getting your story straight and you proved nothing. you didnt show any quote of her's that said what you said she did. you should get your story straight before commenting dude. I on the other hand have shown quotes of her's that prove otherwise.
    oh yeah, i accept your apology for your lack of comprehension and command of the english language.

19. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

ifs and buts, pots and pans

20. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

apology? for what? you didnt prove nothing mate and your lack of comprehension is your problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.