Adding one extra cross string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Blitzzards, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    and p is Reynold constant?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    depending how fast u can swing the racket, air resistance from the extra cross string can be significant for some and not to others. Point of debate here is not if air resistance from the extra cross is signficant or not but rather how taneepak present a biased view to make his case. He said the awl can cause heat damage to the string, and removing 1 or 2 cross string at the throat to reduce air resistance but at the same time, saying adding an extra cross string at the top is insignificant.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no, that isn't a 'p' but it is called 'rho', it represent air (fluid medium) density in fluid mechanics:D

#123 cooler, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I am sorry for butchering the formula. I need to keep it simple and stupid for his understanding...

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i dont have any pics but over here, there is a popular stringer who weave the top and throat space with all strings, forming a net like surface area at the top and bottom racket frame. Imagine the energy loss on every swing.

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Oh sorry, I mixed up Rho (not Pho :D yum) with Reynolds Number: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

8. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    Badminton is all about how you feel. put little tape on the top ,it is less than 1 gram. You would feel it difference. I even feel the shaft become more flexible. Change your grip position, little up little down. Racket feels different. It is not really a science. Even I am a engineer, my science analysis show me the difference should be less than 2%. But I feel is what I feel. And eveybody is different.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

science never claim whether u can feel the <2% or not, it is there to give us an impartial quantifiable value, especially helpful for those who can't feel the <2%.

10. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Non-quantifiable huh? Guess someone can come up with a formula for that touchy-feely thing too, for sure:p!

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Adding an extra cross string at the top will increase the racquet's swingweight slightly. This will increase power, even if that extra string weighs about 0.05gm.
    As a matter of fact some racquets use rather wide x-section at the top (shoulder) frame for power. It dose not seem to slow down the racquet to the extent of reduced power.
    On the contrary, a slimmer waist x-section as in the ARC Z does reduce air resistance, to the extent you can feel the increased speed and hence power. This is reduced air resistance to increase power, provided you have the hand speed to take advantage of it.
    Any increase weight at the top or shoulder increases swingweight and hence power, albeit a little slower on the uptake. This increased power from swingweight can be felt by everyone, including beginners.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

it can be felt by everyone...as long as you tell them what to feel...

I think you have a confirmation bias, but that's just me, I've only read the last half of this discussion.

You can be right in theory, and it looks like a valid point that around the T-joint area the airflow gets very turbulent. But to state that one extra cross, 3 inches of 0.70mm string has any significant impact just doesn't sound very probable.
    Just like saying that 3 inches of 0.70mm plastics strings on the top of your frame can make you racket more headheavy. You're right in theory, but it's completely negligable.

13. silentheart

Dear Dr. J,
    That is what we have been saying all these time. If Taneepak convince himself that by using g-string he can move faster because it is so thin. I think he will use it. Thank you for point out that he "CAN" be right, but we know he is wrong...
    Have a nice rest of the week.
    Your #10 fan...

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

An efficient racquet swing motion is not as simple as just hitting a shuttle with brute strength. You will note that at the start of the backswing for a forehand shot the arm supinates, and it then rotates by pronating as you start the foreward swing to make contact with the shuttle. Two important things should be noted here. The racquet hand and thus the racquet face have turned almost 180 degrees for that arm rotation. Of course you can get enough leverage with a 90% turn but 180% is more efficient. This rotational movement of the arm/hand is executed with a timely late acceleration of the racquet just before impact for increased speed and power. The 180% racquet face turn increases leverage and the late acceleration increases speed. The area around the T-joint is an impediment, especially to those who do not know how to use arm rotation and late acceleration to punch through this barrier.

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

so everybody who disagrees with you just doesn't know how to hit properly?

You do, by now, realise nobody is arguing your theory, but just that this whole "extra cross adds a lot of drag" argument is insignificant in our view...right?

I have to mention this here, all your arguments always tend to go in the same fashion:
    1) assertion A (an overgrip makes your racket lighter, an extra cross adds drag, bottum up stringing is bad)
    2) everybody who disagree's with you doesn't understand the theory
    3) everybody who then disagrees with you just hasn't tested it, because if thye had teste dit, they would clearly agree with you.
    4) everybody who then disagrees with you just doesn't feel it because they're such bad players.

I always forget what comes next....:rolleyes:

Anyway, that was my extremely off-topic remark, sorry

@ Silentheart,
    A man can try, right?;):D

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I am not saying that anybody who disagrees with me doesn't know how to hit properly. Of course anyone who can hit properly may also have different opinions and he may hold completely opposing opinions. This is natural as there is a diversity of view points. I just want to clarify this point.
    1. Assertion A is not exactly what I say. I have no comments on overgrip. It is my opinion an extra cross at the bottom slows down hand speed. Of course you can disagree-there is nothing wrong with that. It is just a difference of opinion. Bottom up cross stringing is not as good as top down cross stringing insofar as playability is concerned. Again, this is an opinion. Others like you and Silentheart may disagree-there is nothing wrong with that.
    2. Come, come, I have never said this at anytime. You can have your own ideas or theories, and I have mine. Of course they can be different from each other.
    3. Again, I have never said that. How in the world can I claim that? Of course anyone who is curious may want to test it out. Whether he finds anything positive or negative is none of my business-it is his own findings which may or amy not agree with mine. There is nothing wrong with that.
    4. Come on, you are implying that anyone who disgress with me are considered by me as bad players. How absurd can you be?

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

this is unrelated to adding or substracting 1 extra string discussion, it's should belongs to Techniques / Training forum

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

U r totally confused as u can't tell the different between swingweight and drag force effects .

As u seem not to appreciate the parameters expressed in the drag force equation, u don't have the support on what you're talking about. U automatically assumed increase in power of a swing from the extra 0.05g weight and it's fault. If this was true, the racket market place will only have 1 type of racket, the head heavy kind and nanospeed model line would be a joke. What happen here is you only saw the +ve from the 0.05g but ignored the -ve effect of the 1 extra top cross string which we have tried to drum into your head regarding air resistance on the top cross string. Since u r making a big case about the swing power gain from the 0.05g, i say the -ve effect is even greater as drag force slow down your swing. U naively assumed everything being equal but decrease in swing speed decrease swing power even more so than the gain from the 0.05g. If u dunno, the power gain or loss is to the power of 3 of velocity change.

what all the claims u have made here in this thread are unsubstantiated or it's only from 1 sided view.

#138 cooler, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Using the thread title to start off, let us imagine the following identical racquet brand setups:

1. Racquet A with the standard 22 cross strings, with top cross across the top grommets #7 and the bottom cross across the bottom grommets #9.
    2. Racquet B with the same cross strings as 1 plus an additional cross at the bottom grommets #8, making a total of 23 crosses.
    3. Racquet C with 21 cross strings,identical to 1 but missing the bottom cross across grommets #10.
    4. Racquet D with 21 cross strings as above 1 but with a missing cross string across the top grommets #8.

Let us compare racquets A and B. Some may find one better than the other. If racquet A is no worse than racquet B, then that extra cross of racquet B is redundant.
    Racquet C vs racquets A and B. Now, if racquet C is no worse than A and B, then A and B could be considered redundant., unless they bring some advantages.
    Racquet D is the other side of racquet C, both 21 crosses with a missing cross. Now, if racquet D is no worse than racquet C, then why not try D? However, this racquet D might be considered illegal as it makes the stringbed center area less dense than the other parts.

20. silentheart

I would like to get some clarfication on your post first.
    a) Let us compare racquets A and B. Some may find one better than the other. If racquet A is no worse than racquet B, then that extra cross of racquet B is redundant.
    Define better: What do you mean better?
    b) However, this racquet D might be considered illegal as it makes the stringbed center area less dense than the other parts.
    Please explain or point out to me where in the rule of badminton say this is illegal? I might be consider all the racquet you use are illegal because every racquet center area is denser than the throat area and they are also less denser than the 12, 3, and 9 o'clock.

On your racquet example, I assume you are using the exactly the same model of the racquet, right? If not, please specify why not.
    For your argument sake, I will suggest you to add 1 addition racquet. Same model, with 1 additional cross string on top and omit the last string on B9.

Also, please state that all the shots are impact on or near the center of the racquet which define as intersection of 2 center main and 10th cross string from the top (because racquets has 21 to 23 cross difference).

You still do not know how to design an experiment...