Aeroplane Black, quality degraded or fake?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by badder, Jun 18, 2012.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Since this is happening to Aeroplane...then I would imagine that other brands may also be affected as well (ie. degrade). Perhaps we should make a new thread where members could slice a used shuttle to post pics and other relevant information (ie. when bought, price, where, etc). Then we could see if this is a widespread phenomenom.

Sorry for the thread jack.

ON TOPIC...I would still like to try a tube of Aeroplane Blacks so I can get a first hand experience with the brand.

2. khoai

khoai Regular Member

After the short supply issue of Aeroplane a couple of months ago, I've tried all kind of different brands and types including Chao Pai red, Victor Champions #1, Master #1, #2 (and ace very soon). To be honest, durability and consistency wise, only Master #1 (and probably ace) beat Aeroplane black. Chao Pai is terrible in all aspects but speed. Champions #1 is so inconsistent, maybe 8 are usable out of a tube, some don't even rotate in fly. Master #1 is really comparable to AS-50, the feel, the consistent fly path and durability. Master #2 is somewhat the same but doesn't last as long, maybe similar to AS-40. These observations are based on not only 1 or 2 tubes but at least 10 each and they all come from well known dealers such as badmintonexpresss, shuttlecombo and racketsupply. I'm gonna try Master ace next and probably will stick to it or #1 unless the quality goes down again like the Champions series.

For Aeroplane, I'm sure raising the price is unavoidable at some point. But that's more understandable to customers than lowering quality because they will feel cheated like many have said.

3. zipperat

zipperat Regular Member

Sports Instructor
    Switching to BK 6800

4. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Let's make some technical assessment. It is a fact that cost cutting is part and parcel of the economy. I'm from engineering and manufacturing environment.

When the shuttlecock hits the racket stringbed, the stringbed "deforms" and the shuttlecock head deforms as well. How much the head deforms depends on the material used. That is part of the reason synthetic shuttlecock behaves differently. Looking at the ugly shuttlecock after usage, it is obvious that the deformation of the middle synthetic material is different from natural cork and didn't fully return to it's original shape thus the ugly shape. I cannot understand the 3 layer approach to save cost except to cheat the user into believing that it is fully natural cork (sorry if I'm wrong). The correct approach to use synthetic material is to use something deforms at a rate similar to cork (if that's possible) and put as 2 layers (the behind layer uses the synthetic material) to reduce variation from original. The result of this change is customer will notice the synthetic material when the label peels off. That's why I mentioned that the 3 layer approach is meant to cheat (cork material seen when label peels off). But the ugly truth shows up when the ugly head is cut open. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I may be wrong).

kwun pointed out the stringing is not so neat anymore. This should be made known to them and easily corrected with fine tuning of their sewing machine :D. If final tying up is done by operators (human), training need to be improved. This is a case of Quality control not doing their job and not cost cutting. One day, all corks and goose/duck feathers will be gone or too expensive and we need to move on. Maybe some genius will come up with a good replacement and all shuttlecocks will be made with exact same flight and characteristics using synthetic material. There will be less wastage in manufacturing process and less variation in quality.

Not very technical. No equation involved :D

#64 zombiez, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  5. badder

badder Regular Member

Kwun,

What's your finding on this new tube from local store.

Yesterday, I opened another new tube, same package as this new one on the left. After a game, it is still holding up very good. I cut it open and it is NOT with synthetic material. So I am confused. I will follow through this tube and see what I will get. But is this degraded shuttlecork only for a batch? Or is it mixed with good ones in a tube?

If it is only for a batch, or all new ones will be the same using synthetic material, then it is a little easier to understand. However, if they are mixed in a tube, then it is something to think about.

6. badder

badder Regular Member

Agree. As mentioned earlier, I don't understand why three layers. It ONLY makes it look alike a natural cork material.

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think you need that 3rd cork layer to stick the feather stems into since it's malleable. Can we ascertain if the synthetic material is soft/malleable or hard?

8. badder

badder Regular Member

I don't think that 3rd layer is necessary. Most only have two layers. Here are a few that I can find around my house. Most are middle or low grade, except RSL Classic.

shuttlecock_head.jpg

9. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Wah.... My 2 layer theory is good. That is a much better design. Any glue at the interface of the layer will change the characteristic. 3 layers will make it worse.

10. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

My friend and I cut open a few aeroplane blacks that were bought about 5 months ago, last night. The cork is solid. We haven't encountered the 3 layer yet.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i will have more findings tonight...

12. khoai

khoai Regular Member

After playing today, I've collected a number of different birdies to see the differences of the corks. Basically, they all have multi layers, may or may not of the same material. They can be put in 2 different groups: premium and lower grade. The premium group includes: YY AS-50, Victor Master Ace and #1, Lining A+100 and Aeroplane (with bold font, so probably old one). You can feel that the corks of the premium group are really hard, not easy to be deformed with an exception from Aeroplane's, which is a little softer. The lower grade group (AS-30, Champions #1, Chaopai Red, Carlton GT1 and Dark Knight 6650) all come with a synthetic layer. Below are some pics:

1. Yonex AS-50:
    DSCF0074_resize.jpg

2. Victor Master Ace:
    DSCF0075_resize.jpg

3. Victor Master #1:
    DSCF0076_resize.jpg

4. Lining A+100:
    DSCF0077_resize.jpg

5. Aeroplane Black:
    DSCF0078_resize.jpg

6. Yonex AS-30:
    DSCF0079_resize.jpg

7. Victor Champions #1:
    DSCF0080_resize.jpg

8. Chaopai Red:
    DSCF0081_resize.jpg

9. Carlton GT1:
    DSCF0082_resize.jpg

10. Black Knight 6650:
    DSCF0083_resize.jpg

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i cut out a couple of shuttles from new tube that i got. basically the same as the bad quality ones. 3 layers with synthetic material in the middle. one of them was horrible deformed after play.

besides that, not much discovery. so i guess even the recent batches are bad quality.

14. badder

badder Regular Member

It is confirmed that Chaopai Red and purple have also changed to synthetic cork material 2 years ago.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Synthetic cork material will be used in years to come

IMHO, synthetic cork material will be used in years to come (because of the availability of limited natural cork).

Currently, when I can afford to pay for shuttlecocks made from natural cork, I will only use them.

I am hoping that new synthetic cork (slowly and surely coming in) can be as good as natural cock. When synthetic corks get deformed, as shown in earlier posts, I shall not use them.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    surprised to see RSL Tourney Classic also using synthetic layer. they are supposed to be top of the line.

17. badder

badder Regular Member

RSL has been this way for many years, including RSL Classic and No.1.

18. Rusty Galloway

Rusty Galloway New Member

Teacher
    Wow... this is really meticulous stuff. Great thread! ;)

19. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

The big question is:

Does the durability, flight consistency, and feel of the shuttlecocks go down with synthetic layers put into the cork compared the the 100% cork?

We haven't gotten around to cutting a lot of them open but the aeroplane blacks we play with are still pretty good in all those categories... but i can't confirm if they're synthetic mixed or not.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it seems that durability is the same. Aeroplane still last longest. but somehow i feel that the crispness on impact is worse than before.

i went through the gym today looking for used Aeroplane Black. the low quality one has now completely penetrated the market. i cannot even find any old high quality ones anymore.