Recommend a Shoe for Heel Injury

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by R20190, Oct 10, 2013.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm currently suffering from a heel injury due to repetitive impact on my heel, probably due to lunging a lot. I'm wondering if any one has had such injury and if there is a particular shoe that is very good for heel strikes. The pain in my heel is right at the back of the heel.

Also, I have wide feet which my current Yonex shoes are designed for. Hopefully any recommendations will be suitable for wider feet too.

Many thanks in anticipation! :)

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    You can try Victor SH8500. It's excellent for wide feet and the cushion and stabilisation at the heel area is great. Also the SC4 is a great shoe. After my experience with Yonex shoes I would recommend Victor if it comes to durability. IMO newer Yonex shoes with the thin upper material feels a bit more comfortable.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks. Are there different versions of Victor SH8500? I.e. is there a specific version for wide feet .... like Yonex has?

I'm not too concerned with durability as my shoes for some reason tend to last forever, I've had my current pair for 6 years now and they still look relatively new! My may concern is whether the heel cushion is good enough. I'll probably still put a softer insole to help (although it will slow me down) but I'd rather have a shoe that is designed well for the heel strike.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    which Yonex shoes are you currently using right now?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

8500 I had trouble fitting my wide feet in them. And there's not that much more cushioning than the 9000 I had for almost a year.

Just got a pair of A850, a tad heavier than 9000, but much better cushioning front and heel.

Throw in a pair of Spenco Total Support Max insoles and wear a pair of thick RKEP EX3 technical socks and your feet will thank you (and me) a thousand times. :)

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    pcll99, I can't remember but they're quite old, I'll find out for you later.

I take it the A850 you're referring to are the Victor SH-A850?

Does the heel feel softer on impact than the SH8500 and SH9000?

I think the area on my heel that strikes the ground first and takes the heaviest impact is not the underside of my heel, but the back edge of my foot. I'm also not sure if I'm pronating/suprinating my foot either as the outer part of the heel hurts more than the inner side (right foot only).

I'm tempted to try some running shoes as the heel cushion is much much softer, although there is very little support laterally....

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes and yes.

In the past I had SC5EX which is very well cushioned like running shoes, and also designed for wide feet. They've been since replaced by Yonex with the SC6EX which I didn't get as it doesn't look as nice.

8. Darth vader

Darth vader Regular Member

Sith Lord
    Have a look at mizuno wave bolt 2. Not really badminton shoes per se, but offers good cushioning with lotsa breathable mesh. Works like a charm for me as I perspire quite a fair bit.

And yes, I have wide feet and a heel injury akin to yours, albeit on a lesser scale.

That said, do check out them mizunos. :)

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Ok, just checked. I'm using Yonex Ergoshape Power Cushion Wide 79.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I don't think I know what model this is.

Anyway, as Darth Vader has suggested, I too think Mizuno is quite good. Give it a try.

#10 pcll99, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  11. emidyl

emidyl Regular Member

I'm thinking if it's 6 yrs old it might be time regardless to get a new pair, and get the cushy insole visor suggested and some thicker socks. I haven't made the switch to a diff insole yet but the thicker sock is working for me so far.
    It might feel like it's okay but guaranteed once you put on a newer pair they will be like night an day.
    How often do you play per week?

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i've had great experience with the SC5 back in 2011 i think in regards to the comfort only since it only lasted me a year before it ripped at the spot where lateral claws would be if they existed. so i was skeptical to buy another pair thinking they would rip again, and i think it's because of my weight. but as far as comfort is concerned, i have not come across a better cushioned shoes.

i just bought a pair of A850 in orange, and it's wonderful. the gridded insole is what i'm used to from the yonex shb101ltd and now it feels normal again. the support is great! when you lace it up, each lacing gives you support you need, which allows you to play confidently especially when you are rushing on the court. the tongue of the shoe is pulled by an elastic band that is tighter than what i am used to with yonex and i LOVE IT!!! i just hate it when the tongue is swimming around. the only thing i didn't like about this shoe is that the tongue does not extend far out of the shoe enough, so it felt like it's "cutting" my foot where my shin and the back of my foot meets!!! but after a couple hours i got used to it. another awesome design is the lack of leather, which weigh the shoe down a lot. instead for the bendy part of the shoe near the toes they use soft plastic type material and some sort of mesh material. it makes it breathable and very light. since it's new i cannot say anything about the durability of it. i can't comment on the durability of the yonex shb86ex either since they are also new.

#12 gundamzaku, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm playing at least once a week. The shoes really do look quite new and I'd hate to waste a good pair of shoes. I might just get a pair of the thick socks as visor suggested and see how I get on with them.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

One problem with shoes that old (6 yrs!) is that the rubber cushion material degrades over time and becomes less effective, even if not worn. So, I think your heels deserve better. :p

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'll quote this ^^^ when trying to convince my wife that I need more badminton equipment! lol

Just ordered 3 pairs of the EX3 socks you recommended... hope they arrive soon! :)