Malaysian Juniors 2008

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by erin_hakkinen, Dec 14, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Vivian Hoo to do well at the 2008 World Junior Badminton Championships in Pune

I think Malaysia would be pleased again if we could win another individual title this year. Perhaps, Vivian Hoo could be the one doing it, in her Doubles.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    World Badminton: Malaysia Juniors remain in the World's Top 4 nations

Don't worry erin_hakkinen ...... Malaysia Juniors remain in the World's Top 4 nations. :):):)

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

ck,ck,ck....this Makcik Erin..

..we all thought you've totally forgotten about them and have gone on to greener and better pasture...;)

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    congrates for all the player that contribute in this team event...^^...erm...i think we need some semis and finals appearence in individual event...

5. PlayaFromMalaya

PlayaFromMalaya Regular Member

Student
    how old is chong wei feng , lim kenn , tan chun seang , liew darren?

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

lim kenn no longer on the national junior team anymore..
    he decided to continues his studies in england.

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

NST

3 Nov 2008

BADMINTON: WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS: Hee Chun-Kok Siang win doubles gold

By Ajitpal Singh

2008/11/03
    MAK Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang turned the tables on China's Chai Biao-Qu Zihan to clinch Malaysia's fourth world junior doubles title at the Shree Shiv Chattrapati Sports City in Pune, India, yesterday. Hee Chun-Kok Siang, the top seeds, won 21-18, 21-14 in 31 minutes to become only the second Malaysian pair to win the Asian and world junior titles in the same year.

Kok Siang's elder brother, Kok Seng, teamed up with Chan Chong Ming to emerge as the first Malaysian pair to win both titles in the same year, in 1998.

In yesterday's final, Hee Chun-Kok Siang, despite being the top seeds, started as underdogs as Chai Biao-Qu Zihan, the third seeds, had beaten them convincingly in Malaysia's 3-0 defeat to China in the semi-finals of the team event.

Learning from their defeat, the Malaysians played a more aggressive game to topple the Chinese pair.

Hee Chun, who also won the mixed doubles and team event bronze medals, said he and Kok Siang were not under any pressure as they had achieved their target by making the final.

"We learnt a lot from our previous defeat to Chai Biao-Qu Zihan. There was pressure in the team event and we could not play our normal game, But today (yesterday), we decided to enjoy ourselves on court unlike the Chinese pair, who were too tensed," said Hee Chun, when contacted in Pune, yesterday.

National junior doubles coach, Jeremy Gan said Hee Chun-Kok Siang showed tremendous fighting spirit and courage in the final.

"I have never seen them play like this. There were no special tactics. I only told them to play hard and concentrate on their service and retrieves," said Jeremy.

Saina Nehwal clinched gold for India when she beat Japan's Sato Sayaki 21-9, 21-18 in the girls' singles final, while Singapore's Fu Mingting-Yao Lei served a surprise by edging China's Xie Jing-Zhong Qianxin 21-19, 21-17 to win the girls' doubles.

China won two gold medals through Wang Zhengming in the boys' singles, and mixed doubles pair Chai Biao-Xie Jing.

RESULTS (all Finals -- Malaysia unless stated) -- Boys' singles: Wang Zhengming (Chn) bt Gao Huan (Chn) 21-13, 21-16.

Doubles: Mak Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang bt Chai Biao-Qu Zihan (Chn) 21-18, 21-14.

Girls' singles: Saina Nehwal (Ind) bt Sato Sayaki 21-9, 21-18.

Doubles: Fu Mingtian-Yao Lei (Sin) bt Xie Jing-Zhong Qianxin (Chn) 21-19, 21-17.

Mixed doubles: Chai Biao-Xie Jing (Chn) bt Zhang Nan-Lu Lu (Chn) 21-19, 21-15.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2391940/Article/pppull_index_html

8. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Monday November 3, 2008
    Hee Chun-Kok Siang end junior days with world crown
    By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: It was a perfect ending for shuttlers Mak Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang in their careers in the junior ranks. They emerged as the world junior boys’ doubles champions in Pune, India, yesterday.

The top seeded Malaysian pair were in devastating form and they defeated China’s Biao Chai-Qiu Zihan 21-18, 21-14 in the 31-minute final.

It was a sweet revenge for Hee Chun-Kok Siang, who had lost to the Chinese pair in the semi-finals tie of the mixed team competition last week.

With the achievement yesterday, Hee Chun-Kok Siang are only the second Malaysian pair to win both the Asian junior and world junior titles in the same year. The elder brother of Kok Siang, Kok Seng, was also a double winner with Chan Chong Ming in 1996.
    [​IMG] Sheer joy: Mak Hee Chun screams in delight as partner Teo Kok Siang looks on after winning the world junior title yesterday. — DEV S. SUKUMAR / www.badmintonphoto.com

All the other Malaysian victories in the world junior championship series were also from doubles events — Lim Khim Wah-Ng Hui Lin (mixed doubles, 2007), Tan Boon Heong-Hoon Thien How (boys’ doubles, 2004), Chong Ming-Joanne Quay (mixed doubles, 1998) and Chong Ming-Jeremy Gan (boys’ doubles, 1998).

After crashing out in the semi-finals with Khim Wah at the last two world junior meets, Hee Chun was happy that he got it right in his final attempt.

“I was really determined to do well with Kok Siang in my last year as a junior player. I am so happy that I finally pulled it off,” said Hee Chun in a telephone interview.
    “We fared poorly against the China pair in the team event. But today, we fought really hard and were certainly much better in attack.”

The excitement was all in the first game when both were involved in a neck-and-neck fight up to 8-8 but it was the joint third-fourth seeds Biao Chai-Qiu Zihan who pulled away first with a 13-9 and 18-16 lead. But Hee Chun-Kok Siang fought back to win the game 21-18.
    The second game was a lopsided affair with the confident Malaysians taking control of the game from the start.

Hee Chun also had another reason to be happy yesterday. He has now won an Asian junior and a world junior title — just like his badminton idol, Lee Yong-dae of South Korea.

“My mission now is to emulate Yong-dae and win honours in the senior ranks.
    “Hopefully, Kok Siang and I will stay together as a pair in future tournaments too.”
    Said Kok Siang: “I have achieved what my brother did 12 years ago. This is my first year with Mak and what a great year it has been.”

Coach Jeremy Gan was all smiles.

“They won today because they came out with their own ideas to get the better of the China pair,” he said.

“I told them that we have reached the target by making it to the final. I wanted them to just go out there and enjoy the game. And I think that took the pressure off their shoulders.”

There was disappointment for China in the girls’ doubles when Xie Jing-Zhong Qianzin lost to Singapore’s Fu Mingtian-Yao Lei.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2008/11/3/sports/2442955.asp&sec=sports

9. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Was this type error or what?

10. eaglehelang

OK, NST reported that CCM/Teo Kok Seng (Teo Kok Siang's elder bro) won both AJC & WJC in 1998. Same with Utusan, BH. So, either The Star or the other press got the year wrong but it's CCM/Teo Kok Seng last won both titles same year. :D

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Word Junior champs Hee Chun-Kok Siang vow to stamp their mark

By RAJES PAUL

SEPANG: Malaysia’s previous world junior champions have never made it big as a pair. But Mak Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang are determined to end the trend.
    The duo returned home yesterday after winning the boys’ doubles title in the championships at Pune on Sunday.
    Hee Chun-Kok Siang, who are only the second Malaysian pair after Chan Chong Ming-Teo Kok Seng to win both the Asian and world junior titles in the same year, were greeted with a warm welcome at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) by the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president, Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, 50 Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) players and their families.
    Under the Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) new programme geared towards the 2012 London Olympics, Hee Chun-Kok Siang will be placed in the back-up squad but they will still come under the charge of doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky.
    And the 18-year-old Hee Chun hoped to up the momentum with Kok Siang in senior tournaments.
    [​IMG] Heroes’ welcome: Mak Hee Chun (left) and Teo Kok Siang (third from left) posing with Bukit Jalil Sports School players at the KLIA Monday. — KEVIN TAN / The Star
    “Most of our world junior champions did not last together. They were either given a new partner or they just faded away. I hope that Kok Siang and I will continue to improve as a pair,” he said.
    Previous Malaysian winners in the World Juniors were all from doubles events ­ Lim Khim Wah-Ng Hui Lin (mixed doubles, 2007), Tan Boon Heong-Hoon Thien How (boys’ doubles, 2004), Chan Chong Ming-Teo Kok Siang (boys’ doubles, 1998), Chong Ming-Jeremy Gan (boys’ doubles, 1996) and Chong Ming-Joanne Quay (mixed doubles, 1996).
    “South Korean (Lee) Yong-dae started winning Open titles immediately after ending his junior career.
    “Hopefully, Kok Siang and I will not wait too long to stamp our marks too.
    “I am looking forward to training with the seniors after this,” said Hee Chun.
    He singled out coach Jeremy as one of the most influential persons in the rise of his badminton career.
    “He brings out the best in us but at the same time, he does not put undue pressure on us. I want to thank him for all he has done for me,” said Hee Chun, who was under Jeremy’s guidance for the last four years.
    Kok Siang shared the same sentiments as Hee Chun as far as his future in the doubles was concerned.
    “But the former has a dilemma — he is not ready to give up his love to play the singles.
    “I would like to continue playing the doubles with Hee Chun.
    “Hopefully, we will be able to win a Super Series title within the next two years. But I am still keen to play the singles,” said the 18-year-old Kok Siang, whose partnership with Hee Chun was only forged this year.
    Tournaments lined up for them are the Johor Open (Nov 11-14) and Malaysia International Challenge (Nov 18-23) in Kota Kinabalu.
    Kok Siang will also play the singles in the tournament in Kota Kinabalu.

source:http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/11/4/sports/2446623&sec=sports

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    MAK ask not to split them...haha...

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    anyhow...looking forward on them...hehe...they even can play for 2020 OG...hehe...will baddy still in og then???

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Regular Member

Student
    Does anyone know more about Zulfadli Zulkifli? How is his progress this year?

15. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Wednesday November 5, 2008
    Rexy to give Hee Chun, Kok Siang more exposure
    [​IMG]
    KUALA LUMPUR: National doubles chief coach Rexy Mai*****naky plans to give Malay**sia’s reigning world junior champions Mak Hee Chun (pic)-Teo Kok Siang more exposure by fielding them in Grand Prix tournaments.

Rexy said he was happy to see the juniors coming through in the doubles events on a regular basis.

And he is bent on keeping his eyes on Hee Chun-Kok Siang in a bid to turn them into future stars for the country.

“Malaysia may produce world junior champions but these players do not really make it big in senior tournaments.

“I think it is only fair to keep Hee Chun and Kok Siang together and give them a shot at making a name for themselves in the senior ranks,” said Rexy.

“After all, it does not make sense to break up the world junior champions. We will continue to build them up.

“We will send them for Grand Prix tournaments first and see how they fare against the more established pairs in the world.”

Rexy was also open to the idea of doubles players competing in the singles events.
    “It really depends on what the player wants. It is fine with me if he really enjoys playing in both.

“I guess it also depends on the singles coaches whether they need more singles players,” he said.

“I started off as a singles and doubles player. I enjoyed playing both but eventually I stopped because I had more success in the doubles.”

Kok Siang is said to be keen to play in both the singles and doubles events.

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u will know when he beat lok cc later in johor open...:p

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

ya,..sure...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    if they changed their mind, i dunno.:rolleyes:

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Hui Lin hopes to become a perfect couple with Kien Keat

KUALA LUMPUR: Youngster Ng Hui Lin (pic) is determined to turn her mixed doubles partnership with the hottest men’s doubles shuttler — Koo Kien Keat — into one of the most successful pairings in the country.
    [​IMG]
    For a start, the 18-year-old Hui Lin is aiming to get it right with Kien Keat in their next three back-to-back tournaments.
    Hui Lin-Kien Keat will compete in the Johor Open in Johor Baru from Nov 11-14, followed by the last two Super Series in China (Nov 18-23) and Hong Kong (Nov 25-30).
    The duo were tested in two tournaments — China Masters (August) and Macau Open (September) — but crashed out in the second round both times.
    The early setbacks, however, have not dampened Hui Lin spirit and enthusiasm. In fact, she has attributed those two defeats to their lack of practice.
    “It was only our first two tournaments together. We struggled to hit it off as a pair. But, given time, our combination can be better,” said the former world junior mixed doubles champion.
    “Kien Keat is a very experienced player and we are learning to complement each other,” she said.
    Prior to combining with Kien Keat, Hui Lin had played in the senior tournaments this year with her former world junior mixed doubles partner Lim Khim Wah.
    But national doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky, in a bid to form solid mixed doubles teams, has decided to pair up Hui Lin with Kien Keat and Khim Wah with top women’s doubles player Wong Pei Tty.
    Malaysia are aiming to win a medal in the mixed doubles event at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
    Hui Lin admitted that the climb to the top would be steep.
    “Kien Keat and I are not the best in the country. In fact, there are several other pairs ahead of us,” said Hui Lin, who admires Indonesian Lilyana Natsir.
    Lilyana and Nova Widianto are the current world No. 1 mixed doubles pair.
    “But we hope to be there eventually,” said Hui Lin, who is currently ranked 110th in the world with Kien Keat.
    The others ahead of them are Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei (31st), Mohd Razif Abdul Latif-Sabrina Chong (32nd), Khim Wah-Pei Tty (55th) and Vivian Hoo-Mak Hee Chun (102nd).
    Besides the mixed doubles, Hui Lin also partners Goh Liu Ying in the women’s doubles.

SOURCE:http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/11/8/sports/2491404&sec=sports

19. eaglehelang

Badminton: Back-up not good enough

By K.M. BOOPATHY

2008/11/17
    THE Johor Open has once again shown how far the singles shuttlers trail Lee Chong Wei and national coach Misbun Sidek wants the situation to be taken seriously or there may come a time when no back-up player will be able to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics. The situation is so adverse that even Hafiz Hashim and Kuan Beng Hong, who are struggling on the international scene, proved too good for the back-up shuttlers.

A concerned Misbun said that it is a fact that there is no player at the moment who can become a world class performer like Chong Wei.

"The gap is just too wide. Chong Wei may be totally on a different level, but the back-up players could not even match Beng Hong or Hafiz," said Misbun.

"At this rate, we will only have Chong Wei for the 2012 Olympics while none of the back-up players will even be fighting for qualification if they don't progress.

"We cannot give up but keep working with whatever talent we have. We have to keep sending them to international tournaments and help them improve their world ranking.

"At the moment, they can't even get into the qualifying round of the Super Series and this reduces their chances of playing against top 20 players.

"The more they play against stronger opposition, the faster they will improve. The association (BA of Malaysia) must be prepared to spend to achieve this goal."

Among the back-up players who can make an impact are Chong Wei Feng, Tan Chun Siang and Arif Latif while others like Chan Kwong Beng and Liew Daren can also make the grade by going the extra mile and perform more consistently in international tournaments.

Until they bridge the gap, Misbun said there is no choice but to keep depending on Chong Wei, Hafiz and Beng Hong in international events.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2403887/Article/pppull_index_html

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    BAM continue to experiment with new pairings

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) continued to experiment with new combinations when they split up world junior boys’ doubles champions Mak Hee Chun and Teo Kok Siang.
    Hee Chun will partner Tan Wee Kiong while Kok Siang will team up with Mohd Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid at the Malaysian Open, to be held at Stadium Putra in Bukit Jalil from Jan 6-11.
    Although surprised with the decision, Hee Chun said he would give his best in his partnership with Wee Kiong.
    “Today, coach Rexy (Mainaky) informed us of some changes in partnerships for the Malaysian Open. We are not sure whether it is permanent,” said Hee Chun
    “But I will try to do well with Wee Kiong and see how it goes.”
    The other two new pairs at the Malaysian Open will be Ong Soon Hock-Vountus Indra Mawan and Hoon Thien How-Lim Khim Wah.