RKEP PRO6000 PRO9000 badminton racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Squash Eric, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Ahhh come on... I like the new colors better :'(
    Must resists buying one more RKEP PRO 9000 just coz' of color...

2. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

talk about speed..........
    paid eric on tuesday noon, racket was shipped out tuesday evening. received the racket today late afternoon!! so send the racket in for a string job this evening.
    Specs : 4UG2
    Flex: Stiff
    Dry Weight : 85g
    Balance: 294 mm
    Strings: NBG98 (included)
    Tension: 24lbs (2 knots)
    Grip: original grip removed, handle wrapped with electrical tape (no overlapping) and gripped with RKEP G01 grip with minimum overlapping.

Playability:
    went out for a 2 hour session just now and played a few games with this racket. during the warmups, i can feel the repulsive qualities of this racket already. clears to the baseline requires very little effort and drops from the baseline to areas before the serve line are precise and crisp. despite the box frame design of the frame, defensive play aren't a slouch either. it could be due to the current racket setup which feels only a tad on the head heavy side. with the very limited court time with this racket so far, the feel from the racket is quite solid and i didnt face any problems adapting to it just now. will get more court time with it cometh the weekend.

3. chrisfong89

chrisfong89 Regular Member

Student
    I'm interested in the 9000. Especially the new colour. Anyone else wanna group buy?

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Maybe count me in as well, not sure if I have the money yet though...

5. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    If shipping from UK to Denmark is below $25 it would actually make sense for me to join a group buy like this just to get a green one. :eek:

6. chrisfong89

chrisfong89 Regular Member

Student
    Honestly, i'm not sure how much group buying can save. Anyone mind doing the calculations for me?

7. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

Guys from Singapore who are keen, do let me know. I have something for you.

8. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Okay, based on the verbal agreement with Eric, I provide a review of RKEP9000 below.

First of all, Eric's delivery service continues to amaze. I ordered this on Feb. 25 (a Saturday), and the racket made to Canada from Taiwan on Feb. 29 (Wednesday), perfectly packaged as usual. This is my fifth time buying from Eric, each transaction has been flawless.

My review will be a different type than the previous ones on in this thread. I will not do a subjective scale rating from 1 to 10. In my mind, each person's preference and what they consider perfect is widely different and not very informational. All I learn is other ppl liked this racket but I have no objective reference for comparison.

Rather, I will compare the PRO9000 with the Victor MX70. Given the Victor brand and the status of the MX series, if PRO9000 compares to that, then it is very much a top quality racket. Of course, if you don't know anything about MX70, this review will not help you too much.

The dry specs of the PRO9000 are 85grams and 295bp. Both rackets are strung at 25lb with BG70pro, with original grip intact and over-gripped with RKEP G09 grip. Including string and grip, my MX70 (3U) weighs 95grams while the 9000 weighs 93. I don't have a sophisticated balance point measure but feel similar.

Stiffness: both the 9000 and MX70 have a level 4 stiffness indicator, I have no idea whether the scales for Victor and RKEP are the same, but both rackets feel similar to me and less stiff than my Victor Artery tec-99 classic, which is one of Victor's stiffest rackets.

Play: I played the first half of club night with the 9000 and the second half with MX70. I will share the findings below. I will play again next Monday, during which I will use MX70 first and follow with the 9000. I feel this is the best way to control for other differences not relevant to the racket, such as my energy level in a particular day.

Smashing: I had easy time generating power with the 9000, not surprising given its stiffness and the titanium around the head for extra weight. The racket head is very stable, allowing for great precision. I had similar feelings for the MX70 except the shuttle did not travel as fast, therefore I am tempted to give the edge to the 9000 but the other reason maybe fatigue. So I will wait until next time to make a conclusion.

Clearing: Given proper technique, this racket clears from end to end very easily. Earlier in the night, I unexpectedly hit a few past the base line because I had been playing with the Artery tec99 prior to last night. This is quite reasonable given the additional flex of the 9000. Because of the box frame, 9000 feels slower than MX70, which has an aerodynamic (octablade) frame and this difference is noticeable. However, since I play doubles, the box frame also provides greater durability in event of clashes, so that is a tradeoff I consciously make. Therefore, while 9000 clearly fulfills my expectations, MX70 wins in this department because of its swinging speed.
    Defense: A power racket is naturally weaker in defense, but this racket is noticeably better than my artery tec99 because the weight is evenly distributed around the head of the racket. Drives and lifts require less effort and I was able to maneuver the racket when retrieving hard smashes. It played very similar to the MX70 and I cannot decide between the two.
    Net shot and drop shot: The efficacy of these shots depend so much on feel, string tension, and head weight, I feel it is pointless to rate the racket on this dimension. I will just say that I did not take me long to get used to the racket. In fact, my doubles serve was not affected much at all even though I just got this racket.
    Looks: The paint work and the decals are very important to me as I view rackets as pieces of art as well as tools of the sport. I find the 9000 paint very attractive, in particular the lacquer on the side of the oval frame is beautiful to look and touch. The turkey green is actually a very good colour, combined with the decals on the frame the racket appears simple and elegant. In contrast, the MX70 is a very flashy racket with metallic silver paint and exuberant patterns. Their appeal suit different moods, but both are aesthetically pleasing.
    Final word: The 9000 has not made me a better badminton player, but owning it made me want to go play badminton even more. In terms of playability, I don’t find it superior to the MX70 but that is the point, MX70 is a great racket and comes at a price much higher than the 9000; so the decision of which one to buy if I had to do this again is a no-brainer. After my second session, I will report my final verdict and the winner will become my new go-to doubles racket.
    Thank you for reading

9. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Hard decision for me,

For the long run, between RKEP PRO9000 nad Apacs Lethal 70,

Which one should I get?

10. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    just get RKEP PRO9000 or 6000, you won't regret. they are good rackets but they are only 4U, i don't know if they are too light for your because L70 is 3U.

11. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

The rackets comes in various weight and BP and you can choose.

BP: 290 mm - 295mm
    Weight: 84-88g

12. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    For the best smash possible, should I get 3U?

If I get 9000 should I get 85g?, and is it with string or not?

Im very sure if I get 9000, I will get the highest Bp 295?

13. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    Pro6000 is quite good too, it has the model of Victor Brave Sword and Apacs Lethal 90. fast swinging racket

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Just played an additional few more hours with the 9000.

Very nice! With almost the same specs as my MX80, it's a tad less stiff, just as accurate, has great feel, more powerful, but a tad less maneuverable in the forecourt. It's much more user friendly than the MX80 at the expense of forecourt speed. Hmmm, maybe I'll pick up a slightly lighter one in apple green. :)

Another characteristic I've noticed, the power shots (eg. hard smash/clear/drive) are very loud! :eek: It's way louder than my MX80/70 or SW30. Even a tad louder than my VT80. Has anyone else noticed this? Not that it's a bad thing... :p but it sure surprised the heck out of me and my partner! :)

#94 visor, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

Are you playing singles or doubles?

If singles, get 87-88g. If doubles, get 84-86g. Bp 295mm.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hey Visor, did I miss out on something by not ordering the 9000?

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Hehe, I thought you're busy watching the German Open. :)

If you read my review on page 4 and also above, I can tell you it's stiffness is between MX80 and MX70. Just as accurate and great feel as MX80 but more user friendly and easily accesible power, ie. easier on the arm and shoulder. :) (Mind you though, that's with VS850 strings on all my rackets, so I already get great feel with that string...however, the SW30 somehow lacked the feel even with the same string.)

Only con is it's a tad less maneuverable (due to the less aerodynamic design), so I have to remember not to get involved in those half court flat fast drives. :eek: But that can be rectified by picking a slightly lighter frame... which I'm seriously pondering.

#97 visor, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  18. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Thanks for answering, with that weight, is it the racket only? or with string?

19. visor

visor Regular Member

bare naked dry... no string, no overgrip

because those add-ons vary widely in weight depending on what you choose

20. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    I want this racket to weight the same as AT 900 Power 3U

Do you know how many gram AT 900 is with out string?