Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You may see it this way but look wider. Just go back 20 years and take China, South Korea and Malaysia as examples for comparison in all fields of human endeavour and compare them today. The gap is obviously embarrassing but can you see the gap getting even wider in another 20 years?
    It takes more superhuman quality to excel in sports and the Malaysian mental dna or makeup is simply not up to it.

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Rashid: Leave it to us

CONFIDENT: He believes current coaches capable of producing winners

NATIONAL men's singles chief Rashid Sidek is confident it is possible to help the men's singles squad progress fast without further additions to his coaching staff.

Rashid and Tey Seu Bock are in charge of Lee Chong Wei and three other shuttlers while Hendrawan looks after the other seven players but a possible reshuffle will see all three playing significant roles in guiding the combination of seniors and back-up players.

The BA of Malaysia (BAM) is keen to add Li Mao in the set-up but the China coach's troubled previous stint doesn't make him a favourite among the current group of coaches in the national team.

Li Mao, who was hired in April, 2005, only lasted until January, 2007, as he decided to leave without offering a concrete reason although it was understood some of the changes he wanted to implement didn't get the greenlight of BAM and there was also a fallout between him and Chong Wei.

However, Rashid said Li Mao is not a factor at this point as there has been no confirmation of his arrival but he is more concerned about the role the current singles coaches will be playing.
    "I believe the current three coaches are capable of helping the younger players progress faster and I don't think an additional coach, even if a foreigner, can do much," said Rashid.

"Chong Wei is slowing down and there is an opening now as he is willing to help the youngsters by sparring with them more. In the buildup to the Olympics, the other players helped in his training sessions but they can now progress faster with Chong Wei playing the mentor's role.

"The coaching and training committee (CTC) must give us an insight first on what direction BAM is taking as we have yet to know the long term plan of the association.

"There was plenty of focus on Chong Wei's preparations for the Olympics but now we can focus on others as well. Seu Bock, Hendrawan and I have been with these players for some time and we can bring about the changes if BAM has faith in us."

Li Mao has been sacked by Indonesia BA (PBSI) less than a year after being hired.

Read more: BADMINTON: Rashid: Leave it to us - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/badminton-rashid-leave-it-to-us-1.132199#ixzz258v5zsHn

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Actually I am not surprised that Li Mao was sacked by PBSI. He didn't last long in Malaysia too and I believe the deciding factor in Malaysia's handling of Li Mao was the Li Mao/LCW fallout.
    LCW has more power in BAM than we are think. His likes and dislikes are like commands?

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Chan Kwong Beng

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    0.0,shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

6. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

now now. . .news should be shared among us. . .shouldn't we? :D

now spill it!!

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    curiosity kills a cat,and i am died.
    haha

8. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    News!!........BAM not ready for a Supremo to handle the the training programs for the players...

Old habits of BAM....But theres a consideration to appoint a head coach for each singles and doubles' department, so I guess this is good too, IF the head coaches have significant authority for their position. SO curious to find out who'll be the HC for singles (Rashid??) and HC for doubles (Pang??)

BAM....they like to "play play"....

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    its ok,Bring All Money will raise our badminton to universe level in term of revenue.
    they even bring more officer to london olympic than CBA!
    woohoo!

10. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Thursday September 6, 2012
    Start from the top
    By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Former greats Rexy Mainaky and Han Jian each spent almost seven years as Malaysia’s national coaches in different eras but they have the same opinion – Malaysian badminton needs to get its act right.
    Indonesian Rexy, a former Olympic and world champion who coached Malaysia from 2006-2012, feels that the change should start from the top.
    “The BA of Malaysia (BAM) should choose a president who has time for the players and coaches. He should know the current situation well. The current president is not informed about everything and is controlled by those around him,” said Rexy in an online interview from the Philippines, where he is now coaching.

BAM president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh is usually informed about the team’s progress by coaching and training chairman Ng Chin Chai and general manager Kenny Goh.
    Nadzmi also meets the council and exco members regularly as a platform to exchange information and discuss internal matters.
    “The key people will do something and they will feel proud about it but it is their decisions that are actually causing all the mess,” said Rexy.
    “I believe the state presidents should also be people who know about badminton. Some are teachers and businessmen and have good relationships with BAM but they only know how to blame others.”
    Rexy left in haste this year – just months before the London Olympics to take up the post of national coaching director in the Philippines. Apart from it being a lucrative deal, it also gave him much say in the running of the programme from his base in Manila.
    Rexy was hired as Malaysia’s doubles coach in 2006 and under him, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong did the country proud by winning the Doha Asian Games gold medal – a first for Malaysia in 34 years.
    They also won several other titles, including the All-England, and came close to nicking the 2010 World Championships title before losing to Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China in the final.
    Their performances have been quite erratic over the last two years and their future as a pair is uncertain after they returned home empty-handed from the London Games.
    While admitting that he wished he had been given more control as a coach during his tenure, Rexy was also quick to point out that the coaches should share the blame too.
    “Some coaches also use the players for their own benefits,” said Rexy without elaborating.
    Prior to Rexy’s departure, Kien Keat-Boon Heong had requested to be coached by Pang Cheh Chang and it was approved by BAM.
    Meanwhile, 1985 world champion Han Jian, who was the national coach from 1989-1996, believes that Malaysia’s success in badminton depends on long-term planning.
    He said that the coaches should be given time to mould the players without any interference.
    He added that too many changes in the set-up will slow down the progress of the coaches and players.
    “BAM need long-term planning and policies. I have been here long and every time there is a failure, the whole set-up changes,” said Han Jian, who has been the chief coach of his Setia Badminton Academy here for 10 years.
    “Coaches do not have much power but are blamed after every failure. Coaches need time to execute a programme or a plan. Instead of taking it one step at a time, they are expected to jump ... run and forced to achieve fast results.
    “Naturally, this will cause them to make mistakes.
    “It took five to seven years of hard work for Wong Choong Hann to become a world beater. Give the coaches time and a good environment to work in.”
    Han Jian was also perplexed by the number of heads manning the national team, saying that “one head coach should be appointed”.
    “First, there was a chief coach. Then, there was no chief coach. Then, we had one high performance director. Now, the number has grown to four. What is all these?,” he asked.
    “There should be one expert to oversee everything. Stop making changes and have a long-term policy that will work for Malaysia.
    “Maybe, it is time to take stock of the quality of coaches too. How many are professionals? Are they graduates? Not all players make good coaches ...”
    Han Jian and Rexy are hoping the BAM’s coaching and training committee, who meet this Saturday, will make the right decisions.

What other former BAM coaches say
    RAZIF SIDEK (chief coach 1994-1996)
    GET new coa­ches as the current ones have been around for some time. They have been there over two Olympic Games cycles and four Thomas Cup campaigns. Set up a new management as well. There should be a full-time secretary to oversee and cross-check programmes and planning.

He should ensure all administrative work is in order, especially the task given to the general manager. There should not be any excuses for missing out players’ entry for tournaments.
    BAM should organise open selection trials to select new players to replace those who have been with BAM for six year or more.
    I resigned as a chief coach when the team failed to return with a gold medal at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games as promised.

KWAN YOKE MENG (national coach 1993-2003)

THE BAM have more funds now and I hope they will channel it generously to the states – specifically to the schools.
    We need to produce players in batches continuously and the development programme is the key.
    Coaches should be given more power in matters related to athletes and training programmes.
    We also need a bigger pool of coaches. National doubles chief coach Tan Kim Her has nine pairs to handle – that’s way too many for a coach.

MOHD ROSLIN HASHIM (Bukit Jalil Sports School coach from July 2011-March 2012)

THE change should start from the administrators in BAM.
    A few of them should step down because the target for the London Games was not met.
    However, I do not think they will relinquish their posts.
    It is pointless to hope for changes if the same people remain.

CHEAH SOON KIT (National women’s doubles coach 2001-2007)
    THE focus should be on app­oin­ting a head coach.
    It will solve many headaches in the team and prevent problems like selecting players and entering them for tournaments.
    The head coach should be given the responsibility to monitor the players and coaches. He will be accountable for all the results and achievements of the team.
    He should work closely with the committee or management but he should be given space to do his work. Communication is also important and it should be a two-way thing.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/9/6/sports/11975633&sec=sports

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well,thats what me and we saying all the time in bc.
    but it sound louder from the mouth of rexy and han jian
    i like this sentence: “The key people will do something and they will feel proud about it but it is their decisions that are actually causing all the mess,”

rexy say it more polite than it should be.
    haha!

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The best one is from Roslin :

MOHD ROSLIN HASHIM (Bukit Jalil Sports School coach from July 2011-March 2012)

THE change should start from the administrators in BAM.
    A few of them should step down because the target for the London Games was not met.
    However, I do not think they will relinquish their posts.
    It is pointless to hope for changes if the same people remain.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    they know nothing beside earn money.

14. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Of course the same people will remain in BAM because they'll vote for each to stay ma...Nobody can touch them really...So just ready yourselves MAS baddy fans because they going to make BIG plans for Rio.

Already imagine them goofing around in the meeting room with their samsung tablets...

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so what is the new plan for RIO 2016?
    sending everyone there for real? include toilet cleaner and waitress?by doing so,our contigent will be larger than cba+kba+pbsi+DBA contigent!hehe

16. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
  17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

[h=1]Supremo with power[/h]

FORMER international Datuk James Selvaraj wants the BA of Malaysia (BAM) to identify a supremo with absolute authority if it wants the current national training structure to improve.

Selvaraj, who had served as the high performance director on a part-time basis for the last two years, said the chief coach must be given the freedom to manage the national team and be responsible for overall success or failure.

The chief coach should also have the final say when it comes to selection of players. He must also monitor the other coaches and be the liaison officer with the management.

Selvaraj, citing his own experience as a HPD where he was not given any authority in decision making, said nothing can be achieved if the management continues to call the shots despite having a chief coach or director of coaching.

"I have been reading with interest the comments of several former internationals and I agree that BAM must appoint a supremo. His job details should be scripted and must be given a free hand to handle the national team. This must include the selecting and dropping of players," said Selvaraj.

"He can be called chief coach, head coach or director of coaching, but what is important is that he be allowed to perform the actual duties he has been hired for. "The chief coach must be the one to represent the players and other coaches if they have any grievances with the management. If the management encourages the players or coaches to supersede the chief coach, his role becomes pointless. Also, the chief coach must be present at meetings between national team members and the management.

"The management, on its part, must monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the chief coach based on the targets and objectives he is supposed to achieve in the given time.

"My tenure as the HPD is a good example of how one never had any authority in decision making as far as the national team were concerned. The players or coaches could talk to the management at any time and did not have to consult or even let me know if they had any problems.

"The fact that BAM didn't give me any job scope or objectives during the two years, although I had repeatedly asked them is a clear sign that the association never seriously considered having a chief coach or a director of coaching in the first place."

Selvaraj also highlighted an incident where a proposal by him to include a player in the training squad for a specific tournament was criticised by the coaching and training committee (CTC) which resulted in him not giving any statements to the media for more than a year.

"It was just a proposal to include a player who had potential for training but I was criticised by a CTC member who disclosed that one of the state BA presidents had sent a text message to the management asking me to 'shut up' and don't get smart when it comes to selection.

"I was also asked to explain why I had proposed the player. Since then, I had reserved my comments," added Selvaraj.

"However, the BAM council chaired by the president (Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh) later included the player in the training squad. "In the two years that I have been a HPD, I have only accompanied the team as an official for just four tournaments although I am required to monitor and evaluate the performance of the players.

"Despite the setbacks, I managed to bring the coaches together and formulate weekly and monthly training programmes as well as the physical conditioning programmes with the help of Roesdi (Ghani)."

Selvaraj hopes that a chief coach, when the BAM decides to appoint one, will be able to do more as he is the one who will be given the task of drawing up a blueprint to help Malaysia achieve gold in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

Selvaraj also feels that the proposed 12-year programme stretches for too long and that an eight-year target for Malaysia to win gold by 2020 is more realistic.

18. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    How much more can we stomach this? How long before change will come?

In the movie Transformers, there is this robot called 'Smoke Screen' (BAM) and it's sole purpose is to provide an illusion or false reality as to mislead/misdirect others (badminton community) so that they can continue with their own agenda of ploughing resources as looonnngggg as they can. Hence this utterings of 'shut up and do not interfere' from the horse's mouth!:(

I am sorry so say this but, 'if we wipe out this NONSENSE, BAM will die, if we don't wipe out NONSENSE, malaysian badminton will die.' LCW chipping in to nudge BAM to their senses of the coming long 'badminton draught' is proof that BAM with all their $$$ is not effective. I know that other countries are facing the same problem but let's take care of our own backyard first.

This whistle blowing by Bata boss takes gut. I salute him. His future with BAM is a forgone conclusion.

I wonder if Nadzmi has ever taken the time to go down to the courts and see the players and the coaches regularly himself, instead of just having regurgitated info spoonfed to him by Ng Chin Chai the lawyer, whose knowledge on the technical aspects of badminton (I won't say no knowledge at all, he might sue me:cool:) is questionable. But alas, he is the one who is making all the shots and the one who is proud of his decisions as ultimately, many decision-making processes have to go through his 'factory mould' conveyor belt first before arriving at a final decision. But then his 'mould' and 'stamp' is already there before arriving on Nadzmi's table isn't it? :D Isn't this very similar to inducing the line-judges at the court? But then again this judge is out of the ordinary. For all we know, all of them are in cahoots.

This non-badminton and non-technical guys calling the shots in the 'you help me, I help you culture' is a real disease of the crop that must be ERADICATED. It's infested from top to bottom. Any coaches that they hire will be just a smoke screen to bring all money. Sigourney Weaver (Alien's Ripley) must go in and eradicate and sterilized the whole organization or else the pathogens will spread like an ultimate epidemic again. No Park Joo Bong or Han Jian will want to come to such a SMOKE SCREEN and being treated as puppets along the way. They can't even make up their minds which road to take till now. Smoke screen again. Previously it was highlighted that Nadzmi is being considered for a high post at in BWF. Another smoke screen?

I'm sorry for the way Malaysian fared at the Thomas Cup but ironically, I am happy also because if it weren't because of this 'box office flop', BAM will be thinking 'if the way we are managing now can win the Thomas Cup, obviously we are doing something right!'. I rest my case.

#899 Pakito, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    How much more can we stomach this nonsense?

In the movie Transformers, there is this robot called 'Smoke Screen' (BAM) and it's sole purpose is to provide an illusion or false reality as to mislead/misdirect others (badminton community) so that they can continue with their own agenda of ploughing resources as looonnngggg as they can. Hence these utterings of 'shut up and do not interfere' from the horse's mouth!:(

I am sorry to say this but, 'if we wipe out this NONSENSE, BAM will die, if we don't wipe out NONSENSE, malaysian badminton will die.' LCW chipping in to nudge BAM to their senses of the coming long 'badminton draught' is proof that BAM with all their $$$ is not effective. Perhaps his off-the-court dealings with his former mentor Misbun has wisen him up. Better to let BAM play their own game, and LCW can contribute is his own way. But while you are still with BAM, you have to 'not offend' them. I know that other countries are facing the same problem but let's take care of our own backyard first.

This whistle blowing by Bata boss takes gut. I salute him. His future with BAM is a forgone conclusion.

I wonder if Nadzmi has ever taken the time to go down to the courts and see the players and the coaches regularly himself, instead of just having regurgitated info spoonfed to him by Ng Chin Chai the lawyer, whose knowledge on the technical aspects of badminton (I won't say no knowledge at all, he might sue me:cool:) is questionable. But alas, he is the 'behind-the-scenes man' making all the shots and the one who is proud of his 'influencing decisions' as ultimately, many decision-making processes have to go through his 'factory mould' conveyor belt first before arriving at a final decision. But then his 'mould' and 'stamp' is already there before arriving on Nadzmi's table isn't it? :D Isn't this very similar to influencing the line-judges at the court? But then again this judge is out of the ordinary. For all we know, the whole exco board members are in cahoots, CTC and HPD and what have you.:D

This non-badminton and non-technical guys calling the shots in the 'you help me, I help you culture' is a real disease of the crop that must be ERADICATED. It's infested from top to bottom. Any coaches that they hire will be just a smoke screen to bring all money. Sigourney Weaver (Alien's Ripley) must go in and eradicate and sterilized the whole organization or else the pathogens will spread like an ultimate epidemic again. No Park Joo Bong or Han Jian will want to come to such a SMOKE SCREEN and being treated as puppets along the way. They can't even make up their minds which road to take till now. Smoke screen again. Previously it was highlighted that Nadzmi is being considered for a high post at in BWF. Another smoke screen?

I'm sorry for the way Malaysian fared at the Thomas Cup but ironically, I am happy also because if it weren't because of this 'box office flop', BAM will be thinking 'if the way we are managing now can win the Thomas Cup, obviously we are doing something right!'. Yes, we know that players' discipline, commitment and concrete desire to excel plays a big aspect but, 2 WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT. I rest my case.

#900 Pakito, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012