Cheapest place to string in Richmond?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by eddiemon, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It might have never occured between Gary and Ah_Shum, but I guarantee that it did happen between 2-YOTA and Gary! If you have the rest of the story, please share!

HAHAHAHHAHAAHUH?!? I don't get it... maybe it's less funny when you re-read what it actually says:

2. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    No. why is it less funny? It is still very funny.
    Don't get what you are trying to point out.
    Or you want to define what should be funny (to me)? :rolleyes:

3. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    what's even funnier is optiblue here randomly strings his "rackets" @ 30x30 or 31x31 which cracks me up even more..the failure of not understanding racket design n stringing tensions makes really funny to me..

4. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    NO!! IT IS NOT FUNNY!!! Please only feel funny based on the badminton god's definition. If he doesn't think it is funny, it is NOT funny.

5. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Nono, not pointing out what's funny, just that the original post said Gary or Hugo and you said ask Gary for Hugo... maybe it's still funny after the fix, you can decide.

Which part did I fail to understand? You don't know me, you've never seen me play, yet you can judge what tensions I should and shouldn't be using? I've never asked for 30x30 or 31x31, I only asked for 30lbs and later 31lbs, you as the stringer would know to use the 10% rule to make it happen. I'm not sure how those tensions are random either as I'm going up a pound in my journey to seek my ideal tension. If you claim that I can't play using those tensions, I also don't know how you can make that assumption either.

Finally and most importantly, my racquets did not break @ those tensions as it was done by Gary or Hugo. Grommets can be replaced when "all beat up", racquets can not as I'm not a richboy.

#45 Optiblue, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer

That's what I meant. He never mentioned Ah_Shrum to 2-YOTA. Gary is like, he blamed him? Both were present, it's like no!

Are you sure it is done by Gary or Hugo? The reason I ask is because customers are happier the string job assumed it was stringed up by Gary or Hugo (even with specified to be done by them).

#46 Matt, Sep 8, 2008
  7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Let me clairify that bold part since it did not make sense after typing it too fast.

Should of been assuming. They are under the assumption it is done by Gary or Hugo, but is it actually by the assumed or specified stringer?

8. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    hmm... I don't think stringer would automatically make the 10% happens. They do know the 10% rule, but they don't just make it happen if the customer fails to specify. I know Hugo doesn't do it... So... good luck to your racket(s) if they are really strung by Gary or Hugo as *specified* (LOL again).

9. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    hee... reading this make me smile again.
    (LOL)

#49 MSN04, Sep 8, 2008
  10. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Oh, better wait for 2-YOTA's reply for a clearer answer as it'll be more detailed and appropriate.

As far as I know, when we go in, we pretty much will talk to either Gary or Hugo and then directly give our racquets to them and state that it has to be done by either one of them. They're quite friendly about it, and do put it on their designated to be strung rack. I've trusted that they would be true to their word in that it would be completed by the specified stringer(s) thereafter.

Occasionally if they're not busy, I'll shop around the store and wait for my stringing to be completed. On those days, I can confirm that it was done by the requested stringer(s). On most other visits, I'll drop it off with the same requests, and the following day when I walk in for pick up, either Gary or Hugo will know exactly which racquets were to paid for. To this day we've had no known issues with our requests.

11. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll have to be more specific in my tension requests next time.

#51 Optiblue, Sep 8, 2008
  12. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    im finding this thread really amusing..the more i read..the more i get to laff..hahaha..and what does me never seeing u play matteR?..is it suppose to WOW me cuz u string @ high tensions?..like...i care b/c....?:rolleyes: even if i whoop ur @$$ @ 22x24 w/ a pink racket does it make a difference?..:D

#52 Ah_Shum, Sep 8, 2008
  13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Optiblue,

I can tell you that may not be the case when they are busy. It is safe to say that there would of been multiple instances where the string job was someone else.

When I go there, I have seen both Gary and Hugo busy with customers and stringing the majority, tennis rackets, including Sun. There is only one other who would be working the majority on badminton rackets which would be Ah_Shum.

#53 Matt, Sep 8, 2008
  14. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    With all your responses leading up to this point in time, your attitude surely hasn't been the greatest.

You accused me of being a richboy right from the beginning of when you were hired based only on my higher tension requests.

Then you laughed at my incompetence of stringing and racquet knowledge since you claimed that I was asking for random tensions.

Now finally, you're saying that even if you whoop my ass in a game which is kind of rude firstly, and secondly that it won't make a difference? Won't make a difference in what exactly? That you'll still whoop my ass or that my quest for finding my ideal tension is stupid?

I'm unsure if I'll still feel welcomed going to Tads based solely on your replies since it's almost as if you rather not want my business? Is this how you feel?

I'm well aware that this is the ongoing trend @ Tads, but I still believe that they have been living up to the integrity of their words and that it would be done specifically by the requested stringer whether they are busy or not.

#54 Optiblue, Sep 8, 2008
  15. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    If you want better attitude from other people, I think you should consider not calling someone's real name out and start the fire 1st.

#55 MSN04, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It's often not the case. Gary or Hugo would pass it on to whoever when necessary. Customers would not know the difference and they pick up their rackets often thanking Gary or Hugo for a string job they assumed did.

17. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    wow you guys are all still up!

I'll take that into consideration for next time, but he technically was already claiming that someone else had cheap personalities as well as calling me a richboy long before I even mentioned his real name. But I'll perhaps stick to forum names in the future! I'm just going to assume that you're one of his buddies. I admire both you and Matt for defending a friend.

I take it that you have inside information on this matter. So you're saying that despite who we ask for, whenever necessary (more often then never from what I understand), that they'll actually pass it on and will pretend that the customer's instructions had been followed upon pick up? That's quite a bold statement as it's breaking a customer's terms and conditions for a sale. If it's actually true, that would be a major hit to any store's reputation.

18. 2-YOTA

2-YOTA Regular Member

To keep my rackets away from the 12 minute NASCAR
    Matt ... in response to the damaged racket, I had gone in and had a casual but serious discussion with Gary. I had called ahead and asked that Gary be present when I went in to see him in person. Nothing I said is made up. I asked Gary several questions. First question was who strung the rackets (1 damaged, 1 overtensioned) ... answer was Ah_Shum (insert real name here). I then asked Gary to inspect the rackets while I explained to him the problems I saw. The overtensioned racket was compared to another racket that was strung up by Gary himself ... after the comparison, he said he would restring that one for me on his tab and done by himself. As for the damaged O3 racket, Gary once again inspected it carefully. I asked him outright what caused the damage. He said Ah_Shum's (once again, insert his name here) name, and started shaking his head and moaning the typical Gary "Aaarrgghh". He said Ah_Shum (insert his name ... come on, we all know who he is by now!) wasn't careful with the mounting brake as I mentioned in my earlier post. Gary offered to replace the O3 Blue with any other O3 that he had in stock but the O3 Blue was brought in brand new from Asia, it wasn't a model that was carried by Tad's nor the distributor here. Regardless, I accepted the "settlement" as there was no other alternative to work with. Take it as lesson learned that it only takes one careless stringer to ruin things. I also told Gary that he himself will have to string all my rackets from that day forward and he concured knowing the reasons for my request. Once again, nothing I've said is doctored as you've mentioned earlier. If you've talked to Gary and he's saying something different, please feel free to show him what I've wrote here and that might jog his memory. If that is not sufficient for you, I'd talk to Gary again to tell him to re-explain any part of my experiences to you. But really, look at the whole picture ... what for? If I'm accused of lying, then lets get Gary involved to clear things up. Remember, the dude who started the thread is asking for cheap place to string. He was provided recommendations on a reliable place to string and we added that he had to be careful of who he should ask to string up his rackets from the experiences we've outlined out. As for Optiblue asking for said tensions, who cares if he asks for 40lbs. If he feels he plays the best with whatever tension he comes in asking for, so be it ... it's his own preference. And why a stringer working at a reputable local shop wants to come out and "whoop a customer" based on the their tension preference? Where is it in your place to say such things? ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.

Now to answer your second comment of who actually strings up the rackets even though a customer hands them off to Gary or Hugo ... for me, I usually drop off my rackets to Gary and remind him that ONLY he should be stringing them. When I pick up the rackets, sometimes I ask him if he was the one who did it just to keep him on his toes. Sometimes I may give it to Hugo and tell him the same thing, but he usually tells me he will hand them back to Gary. After I leave, I trust that Gary and Hugo are true to their words. I'm sure Gary wouldn't jeopardize his word as I may have other friends who may wander in to Tad's ... last thing he would want is for them to see my racket on Ah_Shum's death stretcher as the words will come back to my ears for sure. Regardless, I stand behind what I say in that I believe Gary to have integrity to what he says and does as a store operator. I've been a long-time Tad's customer since the late '80s-90s where I purchase most of my tennis/badminton stuff. Back then, Tad was still around and Gary was a young stringer from Hamber. We have a fair size badminton group of our own and are intertwined with other local badminton people too. We are often asked for suggestions and many referrals are sent to Tad's. That being said, we also have alternative stringers that we could send off our referrals to also. Lets wait and see which direction Gary and Hugo want to take their company to. I know it's hard for them to string up everyones rackets as they have "better" things to do these days. But their stores reputation is also on the line based on the employees they hire and the amount of responsibility they entrust them to ... and their capabilities.

19. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    LOL?..someone actually spent all that time typing up an essay on BC..

yota..get one thing straight..you need to check out who started trash talking first..and as for your question "And why a stringer working at a reputable local shop wants to come out and "whoop a customer" based on the their tension preference? Where is it in your place to say such things?" i said IF..and again..it was YOU who decided to talk trash first..so i thought i'd return the favor..guess you like to whine on and on about it and even call the shop to whine some more..

and seriously..if u gotta problem..come say it to my face..don't whine about it online behind your computer to damage the reputation on certain people/company..it is you that is sinking to a new low:rolleyes:

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Opticblue,

They never pretended, if they have to do other tasks with priority they will pass it. Remember, they are both owners do it is their call what they will do as a business.

2-Yota

It's a nice color blue that I note when I had a look at it, according to Gary you got it from Japan. When you say damage, it sounded like it was structurally damage but it's only the paint which would be a non-warranty issue, besides of it being a non Canadian model. Gary just replaced it to you for just cause, as he did not have to. As I mentioned, the blue racket is being used as a demo for customers to try out so the store is making good use of it.

Well if the customer is giving attitude, that is one of the responses to receive from Ah_Shum, such as the whooping, which is essentially go play him on court. If the person wants to take it a step further, there is always outside.

I have shopped there a long time too since the late 90’s and done a lot of referrals to. Gary and Hugo have made good directions as a business already when both fo them became owners. As for referrals, they keep coming (not just locally, international as well) so they have nothing worry about, they are a stable company.

Gary and Hugo do not string as many badminton rackets as after Ah_Shum came to work for Tads. So if the Gary or Hugo pass it on to him, he will string them. On the side note, there are a number of customers who are good/high level players who specifically want Ah_Shum to string rackets their rackets and do not want either Gary or Hugo to string it as they know what the differences are including myself. I can also say that a few of them will go out of their way to hand it to Ah_Shum in person on and off the work place.

#60 Matt, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.