Newspaper article on Shonky Calls

Discussion in 'Vietnam Open / China Open (2) 2007' started by X Ball, Nov 26, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

3. liying_0505

liying_0505 Regular Member

Student
    hahahaha....... i like the article from Berita Harian....
    perfect description about our players.....
    Chong Wei, time to be more mature......

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

No, I like the tantrums (more !). He should be like McEnro (Tennis brat) --- more aggressive but be able to settle back after the tantrums. I think the dollars will come in because badminton would not be seen as a soft sport -- look at wrestling mania. :D

Look at the time Taufik quited and caused a controversy -- had everyone talking and getting involved with badminton even more. Get some emotion going -- we need the excitement.

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Portion of Article from Berita Harian, Malaysia

Comment : Soon Kit must take up challenge

By Norbakti Alias

THE TRIUMPH of Wong Mew Choo in becoming the nation’s first female badminton player to win a title an the China Open yesterday, should prove to be an eye opener to all parties.

If over the years, many have overlooked the potential of the 2003 SEA Games champion, her first title victory in the Super Series by beating not one, but the three best Chinese players in their their home court, should make Mew Choo a player to be feared with.

China’s top player, Xie Xingfang became her victim in the final, in addition, Mew Choo had also tamed the world no 2, Zhang Ning at the semifinal and world no 3, Zhu Lin in the quarterfinal.

To the writer, Mew Choo is now able to break the domination of the great wall, which had previously affected her confidence, having mastered the game plan tailored by her current coach, Wong Tat Meng together with the skills taught by Li Mao and stamina emphasized by Misbun Sidek, two coaches that have taken charge of her before.

At least now, no party will underestimate the potential of our women’s singles in the world arena. The only concern is that the contributions from our top women’s doubles team that doesn’t seem to go anywhere, with Wong Pei Tty/Chin Eei Hui getting even worse.

[FONT=&quot]Mew Choo’s win should add as a challenge to coach Cheah Soon Kit to establish a pair that has potential to be women’s and mixed doubles champions, because those are the only two disciplines that have not borne fruit.[/FONT]

The writer is also disappointed with Lee Chong Wei, who was easily trapped with the Chinese ‘play’, such that his concentration wavered in the match against Bao Chunlai in the final of the men’s singles.

Chong Wei should have learned from the World Championships in Madrid, Spain last year, when Chinese chief coach Li Yongbo used a psychological ploy by shouting to Chunlai to ‘break the legs’ of Chong Wei in the quarterfinal tie, hence causing anger on the top men’s singles player.

Now, once again Chong Wei is trapped, this time with Chunlai ‘getting some assistance’ from the line judges to break his concentration. This should be a good learning experience for the Bukit Mertajam-born player.

In sport, skills alone are not enough because psychological play and body language also plays a part to instill fear into opponents. We don’t have to go far, just look at the facial expression of Choong Tan Fook when he’s under pressure, until he and his partner, Lee Wan Wah no longer communicate effectively between themselves.

[FONT=&quot]It is hoped that coaches and players alike would put greater emphasis to this factor because psychological play is no longer about denying opponents’ request for shuttle changes.

Translated by ABE DENG
    [/FONT]

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Some people learn fast some people learn slow but at the end they learn. I think LCW has said it that he now knows what to expect in Beijing.

Now he needs to get someone to teach him how to react to such unfairness.

7. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
  8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    I missed the live show the other day.... thank you for this link... Very Shocking!

The biggest culprit imho is the umpire. Not allowing to change the linesman as well about so dubious net faults.

Anyone knows which country is he from? and what is his name???

Where does he live and work ??? :D

9. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    the video itself makes a few errors

i can't see what #3 means, BCL beats LCW on 2 points.
    #7 is absolutely nothing because after he changes the shuttle, LCW went to towel down first, and BCL followed. what's wrong with that?
    #8 actually was point awarded to LCW if you even watched the match, the umpire didn't ruled it in FAVOUR of LCW.

but overall, i admit there is a very high amount in this, and i think the calls in this match were "VERY close"...but the best possible explainations are either human error or some crazy conspiracy :D;)...all the media talk with the newspapers is just the media perpetuating stories and speculation...unless there is absolutely 100% proof that spectators heard or saw this and voice recorded it or something, everything is either lies/speculation/(what i call burning the fire) or "friend of a friend of a friend's words"...:D;)

but i would really hate to be a line judge...gotta go with first instinct and whatever you see at that split moment...and remember, they don't have instant replay like we do at home...so the only way to "fix" this problem, if we even have a problem...is to implement the hawk eye system of any sort or an instant replay type of system to overturn bad calls...

in anycase, professionals should know to play by the calls instead of playing the game...it's like recreational games where if it's your side, you make the call, and you just gotta play by it, if you agree or not (by this i mean the close close ones, not blatantly obvious ones)...:D;):cool:

still, this game's a "Classic" for any Bao Chun Lai fan :D;)

10. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    lolz would i be going over the line if by some crazy way, the umpire was malaysian...LOL...:D;):p..only kidding of course, but it was a match of mis-calls and mis-faults...