TV Commentators

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by skchen, May 17, 2009.

1. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I must commend Gillian Clark and Charmaine for their excellent and at times explosive commentaries of the just-concluded 2009 Sudirman Cup World Team Badminton Championship held in Guangzhou, China. They were just fantastic.The early-round commentaries by others were 'so so'. The other commentator who is also very good is John Burgess but unfortunately he did not comment for this tournament.
    Gillian and Charmaine were also very gracious in offering their best wishes to Julia Wong, the Malaysian woman singles player, for a speedy recovery from her knee operation.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think many would agree that Gillian Clark is one of the best in the business. Haven't really heard much from Charmaine Reid as a commentator (odd since she is a fellow Canuck).

As for Burgess, aka "that guy" to many of his detractors, you either love him or hate him. Personally I shade towards the former. At least he brings some enthusiasm to the table; have you heard some of them drab "point by point" commentators... UGH!

3. viver

viver Regular Member

I do miss Hoyer-Larsen/Morten Frost analysis... ;)

4. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Gillian Clark is fine but she goes over the top a bit too often.

She often proclaims "how in the world did he do that?" on shots that even intermediate amateurs would make from time to time.

5. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    A good commentator is one who knows when to talk and when not to talk during the course of the match, and Gillian is very good at it.:)

On the other hand, the worst commentator of all is not "that guy", but the freak male Chinese commentator who talks about crap non-stop during THE ENTIRE MATCH, just view the Cai/Fu vs INA pair during the Sudirman cup, and I couldn't even hear the sound of the shuttlecock being hit simply because of his annoying voice and non-stop non-sense.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

6. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    hah...yeah....the chinese commentator....he talks too much and knows little....plus....he cant pronounce names properly...

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Perfect qualifications for a commentary job, don't you think? :rolleyes::D

#7 madbad, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. tmtay

tmtay Regular Member

Bussiness Solution Consultant
    I watch the game on global tv. The commentator cannot spell the player name correctly, each time he pronounce the player name is always changing and end up with a funny name. And he also like to mistaken the player's nationality.
    Thanks god on the final match they change the commentator.

9. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Which channel??

I always enjoyed listening to ZJH's insights especially in the fianls, on CCTV.

10. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

I don't know which channel it is, but if you download the match I mentioned(Cai/Fu vs Ina pair) in my earlier post then you will know what I mean.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a51d0263ce178baf8066db0503cf4f2cb878de785cc0f59e

Obviously the quality of commentating is way better when they have former badminton greats like ZJH to give actual "expert" analysis on the match.:cool:

However, when that annoying Chinese commentator starts telling you how he plays and stuff that has nothing to do with the match itself, then it begins to really piss me off.

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

can they challenge hasbullah awang?:D

12. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I have to agree that Gillian Clark and John Burgess are the best English commentators I've heard so far.

But one thing that I can stand with Gillian is that she focuses too much on LD during every match of LD.

During LD-PSH match, she was saying "LD is such a character and he's so fun to watch...." when LD dove and failed to retrieve a shot by PSH.

She questioned "It was called out?" when LD's return just missed the line but commented "It was very close!" when the replay showed LD's return missed the line but was called in.

Well, I believe she is a huge fan of LD.

13. lagigolo

lagigolo Regular Member

I did hear her say how good looking he is.

14. scherzando

scherzando Regular Member

Student
    He was hilarious! :D Did anyone else watch the SF on Global TV? Well, he might not have been professional or insightful (or useful), but it was just hilarious. He pronounced almost all the names wrongly and the funniest was when he tried to pronounce KKK's name. He came up with at least 5 ways of pronouncing it, I kid you not. :p (well, ok, maybe 3)

Oh well, he was a good laugh. (And did you hear the comment he made about XXF being LD's gf? LOLOLOL. His whole sentence was screwed up! Talk about grammar!) Oh let's not forget he also did numerous mistakes about the scores!

Ooh someone has a crush. :p LOL.

15. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Ouh.. I am surprised she can be so fair and not being irritating when doing commentary on LD's game, if she is indeed a fan of him. Good. So professional.

And i'd say en ex-player could always be a perfect commentator when they were also provided with the talent. They'd be perfect! Who's next? Wong Choon Han?

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..probably..For one Oldhand, his equivalent is probably John Burgess..;)

As for the Global TV commentator, any video of him on the mic??..:confused:

#16 ctjcad, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i for one have never been able to stand Gillian Clark. she tend to over-dramatize and over-sensationalize trivial issues.

she also used to be very anti-China. even though she seems to try to be neutral, you can tell her commentating has been a bit hostile to the Chinese, be it that she always tend to support the non-China side, or trying to down play the Chinese.

in recent years, however, she has slowly accepted the fact that it was futile and has since gone with the flow a bit more.

to really see what a good commentator is, we should look towards more professional commentators in the US and in other sports. little that i watch other sports like NBA/NFL, whenever i do, i always find their commentating much more professional than anybody have done in badminton.

another excellent commentator is cycling commentator Phil Liggett, who can make a sport as monotonous as pedalling from point A to point B interesting. :)

18. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

WCH can only be a 'support-commentator'. He just does'nt have the ummph nor the vocabulary or the command of the English language of Gillian or John Burgess to be a 'stand-alone' commentator . No doubt he knows everything about badminton but that is not enough. Sorry.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Ok, jokes aside. Wong Choon Hann is not the man. I loves his spirit but he's not for the job.

20. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    It's always a challenge for a non-English speaking person to do commentary in English.