Difference between Yonex Mavis 350 and 500

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by gardkarlsen, Jun 16, 2008.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that's why i didn't replied.
    All talk, no walk.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Simple:test what is meaningful (court speed) instead of weighing it on a scale, which is meaningless. It is weight + cone size + hole size and # + skirt design that determines real dynamic speed, which = court testing for speed. If weight is the only thing you brag about then all slow Mavis 300, 350, 370, 500 would weigh the same and have the same speed.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

see post#29, same thread
    i believe every model and grade like every mavis 300+, like AS20+, have the same diameter.
    Even with all your talk, your talk is shakey.

#63 cooler, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Just a question is the price difference between these shuttlecock big or small?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Why the reluctance to court test all the Mavis models? Perhaps other players who play with Mavis can volunteer? Could the unpredictable pattern of collapse of the skirt between each test hit send the shuttle over a wider distance range, or even under or over the distance limits? To solely highlight its weight consistency and "run away" from speed testing on the courts looks more like a smoke screen.
    Again, Silentheart and Cooler, how about biting the bullet and do the right thing?

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    :confused: seems like pointless (as SH mentioned)..

If you have read what cooler has written, it is obvious that he HAS tested his shuttles for correct speed. He even elaborates on how he adjusts speed on plastics (which I beleive does not work very well, becuase the Mavis plastic shirt always strives to go back to its original shape it has when it was molded).

Regardless of what shuttle is used its speed can be adjusted (albeit with Mavis just temporary).

The BIG problem with the Mavis shuttles discussed in this thread is NOT the speed when testing using an underam-stroke from the base-line..
    This test has been designed to test the speed of feather shuttles and is based on the assumption that the tested shuttle has the correct flight path anything flying can basically be adjusted (even spheres to play with sold for recreation here in sweden) to have the right distance but the test really mandates a good trajectory to begin with.

The problem is the non-rigidity of the folding shirt, the flat trajectory and minimal spin, making these shuttles inferior to more expensive alternatives.

Maybe cooler is "lucky" that an un-pressed Mavis 300 slow, in most cases have the right speed for his environment.

But I don't think you would agree that Mavis is a good shuttle, even IF cooler could proove to You that his Mavis 300 in most cases have consistent and correct testing-speed for his high-altitude courts? right :rolleyes:

/Twobeer

#66 twobeer, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi T,
    Thanks.
    3 points.
    1) Mavis does what it design to do. It is a plastic shuttle design to perform closer to the real feather shuttle than other brand's plastic bird. Mavis does great on that.
    2) Mavis has average consistency and durability much better than feather shuttle.
    3) Mavis was never meant to replace the real feather shuttle.
    Mavis plays and feel different than feather shuttle. Different strategy and tactic need to be adapted between Mavis and feather. Mavis is not a bad shuttle, it is just a better than average/good simulation of the feather shuttle.

kiran borkar likes this.
  8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i can't disagree on those. The evil empire teaches u well;)

9. butch

butch Regular Member

Hellooo....are we talking bout star wars? Just kidding tho..

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no comment. SH undertands them better than me:)

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

There are evils, and there are necessary evils. If you have a group work for the necessary evils and dominate in a field/region/business, then it becomes an evil empire. As an entity, the evil empire want to survive. So it will continue to do evil...
    However, there is always a hope of light. Someone (for example, Ant) in the empire works for the little people like us and leak out info and good news for us to make right decision.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

as the name imply, maybe ant is really just a trooper ant of the evil empirre:p

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I beg to disagree on all 3 points. Here are the reasons:
    1) Yes, Mavis is designed for non-competitive recreational play. It is not designed for competitive play like feathers are. Neither is it designed for the real game of badminton as the game should be played. Pls check with Yonex on the target markets for Yonex feathers and Mavis-two entirely different level of play. Also Yonex never claims that Mavis is designed to perform like feathers.
    2) This is not relevant. To say that a plastic sheet shirt is more durable than an Egytian cotton shirt is, just like your claim, as meaningless.
    3) Then why are you implying that it is designed to perform like feathers in 1) above?
    Mavis is a bad badminton shuttle and your claim-even Yonex does not claim it-that it is a good simulation of feathers is some kind of a joke.
    I have yet to have any feedback on court speed testing of Mavis, other than you don't have the hitting consistency to do such a test. But Cooler has earlier claimed that Mavis complies with the BWF court speed testing. Where is the proof? Instead we get gibberish replies. FYI, feathers can be made in 12 or more speeds, and each speed has a distance difference of about 30cm, making a distance range of 360cm+. This wide range can satisfy almost all the extreme conditions of playing conditions. Mavis with only 3 speeds can never hope to cover this range. Using only 3 speeds is in itself indicative of a demand from players who are not well informed, and is ideal for the beach, country and urban parks. In its early days plastics came out with many speed grades, about the same number of speed grades as feathers, with the same speed designation of 76, 77, 80, etc. But reality then set in and it is now reduced to just slow, mediem, and fast. Plastics just don't have the reach. Cooler should stop his claim that plastics would be King but for the conspiracy of BWF and the world's top players.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it is obvious that taneepak try to steer this thread back to a feather vs plastic debate which the mod had cautioned us before already. We try to comply mod's wishes but taneepak's poor memory prevented him doing so.

As i have shown in many occasions, debating with taneepak is like falling into a time warp tunnel, he just keep on spinining u around, repeating arguments that have been explained already but he'll just keep on spinning. I had also gave examples that he contradicted himself umteen times but he just ignores those.

For a guy who seem to lack understanding of the mavis shuttles and keep on making comparision to feathers is pointless.

At this point, taneepak is hijacking this 350 vs 500 thread to do his spinning agenda. I don't think it is fair to close another thread just because one persistent violator.

#74 cooler, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

A little side-tracking, when it is necessary to set the points in contention, prevents taking things out of context and help keep them in perspective. Now back to the various Mavis speed testing on the courts, when, Cooler?

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

tonite i played 3.5 hrs with mavis 300 and loving it.
    Can't remember the time i have taped so many shots than tonite.
    the question is, where were u when i was speed testing them?:rolleyes:
    cut the crap talk.

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If Taneepak is so interested in the speed, why dont he test it himself :confused:

I agree that these thread easy go inte to feather vs. plastic brawl :mad:

But I think it is important to compare to feather-shuttles when comparing the different plastic models, as feather shuttles really are the yardstick of how a badminton shuttle should perform.

If we want to compare fro example Mavis 350 with Mavis 500 and establish which one is better, we need to first agree on what properties a "good" shuttle should have.

If we agree that the reference should be a top-end, rigid, precise speed, spin and balanced feather shuttle, then we can compare the different plastic on how close they come to "reference".

We could then rate their performance based on the flight, speed and feel compared to feathers, and also compare price, durability, quality, consistency etc.

If we do NOT have a common base of what "Good" flight and feel is, the performance of these shuttles can not really be objectively compared and discussed.

If I understand Cooler correctly (please correct me if I have missinterpreted your post), he argues that for example a Mavis 300 is just "different" to feather, not worse maybe even "better" in some aspects).

So how can we compare if Mavis 500 or Mavis 350 (or any other shuttle) is better or worse.. If we do not agree on what "good" and "bad" properties are, in the first place.

The problem with these types of threads lies, in that if we not have a common base of agreement of what properties of a shuttle are the "ideal", then we cannot really agree on the performance differences of any two shuttles at all. no common base of reference.

What makes a Mavis 300 better than a Mavis 7?? What makes a mavis 300 better than a a "Black night 2000" plastic shuttle? What makes the Mavis 500 better than for example Saulun ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ANHNVG?smid=A17W46BYOKVLL9&tag=yahoo-sg-20&linkCode=asn ) ..

If we agree mavis 500 is slightly closer to feather than Mavis 350 I think it is fair to say its performance is slightly better. do you agree?

If we do not agree that "closer to feather" = "better performance" then we could really only stick to comparing price and durability, performance would be "subjective" and we could just easilly crown the cheapest most durable shuttle as the "best" shuttle.

/Twobeer

#77 twobeer, Aug 2, 2008
  18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

as stated in the product review and earlier postings, M500 feel heavier than M300/350 of the same grade and later confirmed by their weight data. Also commented by someone that M500 feel slow when hit lightly but goes really far when hit hard, opposite characteristic of a model shuttlecock, be it of plastic or feather construction. Another proof is majority plastic clubs use M300, then M350. I dont know any plastic club that use M500 exclusively. If M500 perform all around better than M300/350, it would be most used but it is not the case. All these are good enough reasons

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    A condensed version of what you write above could be that you feel M300/350 are closer to the properties I attribute to a feather-shuttle than M500.. :p

My experince is that the problems you describe (heavier feel, to fast at fast-shots, to slow at slow-shots etc. are the same problem that Mavis 300/350 suffers from compared to shuttles made from natural feather..

SilentHart, do you agree with cooler that M300 performs better than M500.. Why have the more expensive M500 at all in the product line, if it is worse than less expensive models ?!?!

/Twobeer

#79 twobeer, Aug 2, 2008
  20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i think your tactic of trying to find weakness in mavis marketing ways to support your feather agenda, rather than use pure feather merits to support your feather agenda:p What and how the evil umpire want to sell and market the mavis product line u will never know. Asking us to explain the evil umpire's why and how to brand, market, and distribute mavis shuttles in hope to discover some plastic inconsistency is quite...futile.

Even if i know i wont tell u. That is the advantage reserved for plastic players. If u want to understand more about plastic, play them

#80 cooler, Aug 2, 2008