custom worqs review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tranqq, Dec 24, 2012.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Bit of a general statement! I don't think any manufacturers' racquets can be considered to be A LOT better than the next, these days. The quality and the playability of the racquets made by the best racquet manufacturers today is closer than ever before. I accept this is your opinion, but it probably suggests that you probably haven't tried that many Yonex racquets before.

Taken with a huge pinch of salt. ;)

2. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

AS1984 - it's not rocket science to work out who this is, folks. An actual professional badminton player... I know what, lets disregard what he says about rackets but when LCW 'tells us' a racket that looks like the racket he plays with (but is actually totally different) is amazing and will totally change the way you play, let's buy 5 of them. BC at its best!!!

3. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

What spec do you have?

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

To be honest, I paid no attention to the username but on closer inspection... :p

I know some people are gullible enough to take what someone (Like LCW) says in a promotional advert and go out and buy this racket just on that.

Stringing a racket "tight" nowadays is not much of an issue. 30lbs is a figure that quality rackets irrespective of brand can reach without hassle.

Other brands are offering other forms of customisation which is more than adequate and doing so at a cheaper price to consumers.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Have never heard LCW promoting the Z-Force on BC. The highest profile sponsored player by this brand coming on this forum holding a customary promotional talk to give them some cents worth, yeah that's miles better :rolleyes: ... Maybe if he gave a "professional" review rather than one done by your little teen sis it would be worthwhile. His results aren't exactly proving it is miles better :D (hadn't seen the similar comments above yet haha).
    I would rather await a more neutral review coming up on Badmania france ;). Should be a month away still as it has been spec'd for one of them and still has to be made ...

And same comments about price and level of customization on the French forum (and German; well the German thread hasn't really taken off yet).

#25 demolidor, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

As1984 is giving as honest an opinion of a racket you can get from a sponsored player. At least he is using the racket you can buy unlike LCW or other top Yonex players. Anyway, all this will become irrelevant when adidas arrive and blow everyone else away.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

As long as you believe it ... [​IMG].

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I just can't see the brand really taking off and going global. I can see it going the other way especially the way the brand came to my attention (in the other thread) it didn't give me much trust to the reputation the brand is trying to build.

Coupled with the price, the availability already of customisation, and the already known brands on the market already, there really is no incentive here to give it a go.

Oh and also, I don't think it's right to speculate about LCW's racket without much evidence. We know Yonex did it with Taufik, but there's no current evidence to sugges that LCW is the same, unless you have a racket and evidence otherwise?

9. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

I'd don't believe it or not believe it, my preference is to test a racket before deciding. You keep up your keyboard badminton though. Over 10,000 posts... how do you find time to play?

10. tranqq

tranqq Regular Member

I'd also recommend anyone who wants to try one and likes the feel of 3u racquets to get the heaviest weight they offer. I went medium weight and with the grip it comes with and strings it's 89 grams. Surprisingly the balance point with this setup was 310..but the racquet is so light it might be difficult for some people to get power. as1984.. please tell me what specs you went with and why you like the racquet so much

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm just amazed at how shockingly bad Customworqs his launch on BC has been. So many other brands basically started out on BC; Sotx, Chao Pai, Panda power, even apacs's popularity abroad had some help from BC, not to mention Zelm who probably has BC to thank for 90% of it sales.
    And for some reason, CW really has a hard time.

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Probably down to their publicity stunt in the previous thread ;)

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes, for a brand whose concept solely relies on the trust of the prospective buyer, it hasn't been the best approach ;). For all we know this latest account has not even been made by A.S. but solely to post a "quote" from him and stick in another feather. Slightly better approach already on Badmania by offering a free customized sample to one of them, but then again they are a store as well and probably hope to do business through them in the future.
    They should give jerby a freebie as well for a bc review :D ...
    It would still be better perhaps if they actually had to pay full price and make it a genuine factor but they can probably give a clear enough review and price-performance verdict. After all, you can buy practically any racket on the planet for this price and with it the equivalent of hundred "customization" options.

Wonder jerby, if you complete the racket selector tool if your current racket input comes out of it as well as recommendation [​IMG] [if you have the time and patience to complete it]

#33 demolidor, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  14. Eddie Hang

Eddie Hang Regular Member

Marketing and Sales Director
    I've been reading this thread following the comments and now feel that I must post. Some comments from Customworqs:

1.Whilst Customworqs started off on BC using pseudo names to cover up who we really were, as stated in the previous thread, every brand does this, no doubt, it's a fact / part of marketing a brand. Like it or not. We came clean and as such are now taking the hit for this. I find it difficult to understand why we should be given such a hard time for this and not other brands.

2. AS1984 was not prompted to post by Customworqs assuming it is who we think it is. Do you really think we would have gone down this route given this backlash caused by point 1 above? No, although it is true Andrew Smith will be playing on standard Customworqs frames which is again being more transparent than every major badminton brand on the market specific to their sponsored players.

3. We've bought a new way to the market for manufacturing rackets based on single unit production. Having seen such a lack of development in rackets for 30 years, I thought fellow badminton enthusiasts like me would be keen to see this type of manufacture develop and evolve rather than being satisfied with resprayed models for another 30 years. Have I missed something? Whilst it doesn't have the customisation levels that you might want in your perfect world, it is a step in the right direction.

4.We're being judged without anyone (of any credibility on this forum), except Tranqq, playing with the rackets. Given my professional badminton playing experience combined with heading up a rackets brand for 4 years, I would hope I know a little about what makes a good racket. How about you play test them and give us a fair trial? Either that or wait for the official reviews and then make a judgement.

5. We're happy to listen. We've taken Tranqq's feedback, discussed it internally and changed the packaging as well as added some additional 40K carbon into the head lay-up to stiffen it in 4 areas. What badminton brand's would be able to be as dynamic as this in its response?

5. Customworqs isn't owned by some wealthy corporate. It's owned by people who love badminton. We would have hoped this might have given us a little traction with BC members. I wonder how many of you are Yonex / Li-Ning sponsored coaches and players playing the forum?

Customworqs

15. Backhand_Dave

Backhand_Dave Regular Member

Wow.. tough crowd.. ;)

(hint: Why dont you just create a new account named "Custom Worqs" and post under that, thats a good start.. doing that from the start may have helped! )

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Trying it now, why does it want to know if I'm left/right handen? Do I need a different racket again when I turn 25? If I gain weight, do I need a different frame? ... I don't get this at all...
    Anyway, I get a heavy, stiff superheadlight racket. In real life I prefer slightly heavy, headheavy, slightly stiff rackets. So It's close but not quite.

17. jerby

jerby Regular Member

You really don't think it's slightly disingenuous to post under 1-2 false names on a forum like this? As far as I know every brand representative is pretty open about it, why wouldn't they be? Can you give us an example?

Well then, which false names have you used?

I still aplaud the initiative and I hope it will get somewhere in the future. However, I think the biggest problem is that in the current market almost every enthusiast can already get the exact racket they want, if they shop around 4-5 brands.

So far, I've not seen anybody crituque your rackets unfairly. Most of the comments have been about the racket-lineup, the selector tool on your website and the pricing. Also, a small tip from me, saying "I know what makes a good racket" doesn't always go over very well on the internet
    well that's great, keep up the good work.
    As a sponsored player, I'm maybe in a glass house here. But what does this matter? Can you name one example where a brand manager has created a dummy account to promote their brand? Do these yonex/li ning sponsored players not love badminton? What is the point here?
    If I get my hands on a product that's good, I'll gladly say I like it, regardless which brand it is, why would any sponsored player/coach be less genuine?

18. Eddie Hang

Backhand_Dave - hindsight is a wonderful thing

19. Eddie Hang

Hi Jerby

Apologies I don't know how to use the quote marks so have used speech marks instead

"You really don't think it's slightly disingenuous to post under 1-2 false names on a forum like this? As far as I know every brand representative is pretty open about it, why wouldn't they be? Can you give us an example? They wouldn't be open about it to influence the thread." - No I can't give an example because I don't know their pseudonyms. What I do know is that it is acknowledged when brand managers meet, for example, at events.

"Well then, which false names have you used?" - Customworqs is only Eddie Hang. Any others are not Customworqs.

"Also, a small tip from me, saying "I know what makes a good racket" doesn't always go over very well on the internet" - I did say "hope what makes a good racket"!!

"
    As a sponsored player, I'm maybe in a glass house here. But what does this matter?" - my point is that there are badminton enthusiasts coaches etc who are very 1 brand orientated.

20. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

customization of racquets via 3 parameters of shaft stiffness, racquet weight and balance is insufficient... there are already too many existing racquets at all prices with these 3 permutations from every brand.. even china's pumping out fake racquets, graphite based and all that carbon fibre epoxy stuff for tens of dollars cost.. if one grabs a big pool its possible to sort out a variety of weights, and other properties..

these are not the major issues when it comes to racquet selection for me, i can almost play with any racquet, the biggest difference to me in different racquets i handle is the aerodynamics of it, the contact feel, the frame stiffness, recoil and response, etc.

i would prefer something like an AT900T, with the frame "flexi" point at 10 to 2 o'clock position, with a dominant weight right smack at 12 o'clock for weight, two medium weights at 8 and 4 for stability, good frame stiffness and probably thicker at the bottom like a nanoray, and towards the top turning into a diamond shape like Victor's... etc etc..

if that can be done.. i definitely could be interested in customizing something for myself.