Is 20 years old too old to start badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by BakuNETSU, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BakuNETSU

BakuNETSU New Member

Student
    Hello everyone,

I've been playing badminton during grade 11 and 12, but it wasn't consistent. I am 20 years old male, 5'11" and 250lbs, but many people tell me I don't look it and I am also dieting too. My dad have told me that I have no chance to be good in badminton anymore and he rather have me studying harder for school. I would say that I am at intermediate level, but my backhand is really weak. So with my so-called experience in badminton am I too old to train for small badminton tournaments, or maybe even stand a chance against advance player who competed in tournaments before. Feel free to give any feedback. Anything advice or opinion will help because I am trying to turn my life around and the only sport I have experience in is badminton so this really means a lot to me.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not true. many people i know who starts badminton in their 20s and they can get pretty good. can play local tournaments and win some too.

you have to be realistic though, you are not going to be in the national team or play any national or international tournament.

but you can have fun playing badminton and if you are disciplined enough, you will lose some extra weight and be pretty good at it.

3. BakuNETSU

BakuNETSU New Member

Student
    Thank you very much. That was just I was hoping for. I will try my best to improve and win.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    thats deffinetly not to old for what you want to achieve, you can do that and still get pretty good to compete at smaller tournaments and maybe even later on go into higher tournaments. its true that at that age it would be unlikley to make the national team or anything like that but you dont sound like thats a priority of yours so that is not an issue. best of luck with it and keep pusing through and enjoy badminton!

5. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Just to share with you i started playing tennis since Sec.1 and train competitively (played for my school, district and then uni). I only started playing badminton after i started working as my surrounding colleagues, friends are non tennis players. So i picked up the game at 24, having played competitive tennis for more than 12 years, you can imagine the way when i first played badminton (zero wrist flick, no control of my tennis raw power , wrong footwork, etc.) But heck, today, after just 8 years (now i played almost 5-6 times a week), i am playing considerably well (intermediate level) and enjoying the game socially.
    It is a matter of what you want to do/achieve and how much effort you put in to realise that: sports, personal goal, studies, all goals in life are the same. It is NEVER too late.
    Good luck and first of all, enjoy the beauty and fun of badminton first, rather than being over competitive to win tournaments.

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    y0... 20years is not too late to be a good player but definitely too late to be a national players!

Keep up the goodanee wokr!

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I only found badminton at the tender age of 20 years old. I fell in love with it!! I played as often as I could. I am now 24 and have gotten to the finals of few local tournaments (should have won atleast 1!!) and am currently getting better thanks to having a coach and playin better people.

You are lucky to be already at a decent standard but as you said you have a weak backhand so improve it. Make it a strength. My advice wud be to find a coach if you can as you will improve faster and better with a coach but atleast play better players than you.

Good luck and dont give up. Why give up something so fun :)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

it's better you found & start the sport at 20 y.o. than to never try and experience the beauty of the game in your entire life..i certainly wished i re-discovered the sport when i was 20 y.o.

9. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Doing any sort of sport is great stress relief, and being physically fitter will help your brain work better. If your brain is getting more oxygen, then your concentration will improve. So you can tell your dad that badminton will help your studies.

I started badminton in my 20s too. I'm still not "good" at it, but it was still one of the best things I ever did. If it means something to you, then you should do it.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Realistically, you are too old to make a career out of playing badminton. You're not going to become an international player.

Becoming a good amateur player is a totally different matter. You could potentially reach as high as national standard (i.e. competing in national competitions where you represent your region). This would be difficult, of course!

You could certainly make huge improvements to your existing game, even without a difficult training regime.

Almost everyone plays badminton for fun, not profit. As long as you're enjoying the game, what's the problem?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think most parents would say that!!:)

However, wether you would use the extra time not playing badminton and putting it into studying and getting better results is another matter. Life is not necessarily like that.

I'd say keep going on the badminton and enjoy the game. It's all part of your overall health as well so this is a very good reason to do some sports. And why not do a sport you enjoy?

Just don't expect to make lots of money or be superstar. But what you can expect is better health, enjoyment and a different level of social activity.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Playing Badminton will make us healthier

Agree with Cheung's comment.

IMHO, playing Badminton will make us healthier; and if we are healthier, we will function better: including studying for exams.

Tell your parents that and also show them with your improved academic results.

#12 chris-ccc, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  13. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    As I said so many times on here , you need a decent coach and he /she would give you advice. None of us here know what level you are playing and if you got the natural ability ; therefore I would not like to judge. some players if they got the dedication, passion and talent , they can become a decent player within a year (training 5 times a week with fitness throw in ) and win a few local events, and other who does not have that gift would take much much longer.

One thing I can say to you is whatever you do , good luck and enjoy the game.

14. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

This is a good quote for anybody in life:)

15. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Well said Gollum!

I played my first club tournament at the age of 32. In no way am I pretending to be good but I enjoy to play and meet different people at the tournaments (mainly in Stockholm).

If you have any talent for the sport and with good training I think it is possible to be a good amateur player winning local and regional tournaments (about on par with 17-19years national juniors?). However you will probably not be able to beat a first division club player or qualify for an open national championship tournament.

/mats