The impact of bad linecalls on MSF players in KO 08 and CO 07

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Birdwood, Jan 27, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify.

Greetings,

Just want to quote a well-known saying here in this thread... just to break up some of the arguments thus far. :):):)

"Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify".
    Henry David Thoreau, 1817-1862
    American essayist, poet and mystic

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hahaha...thanks for your support :D I have stated my thoughts, so, no point to dwell on this topic anymore.

Fact: Lin Dan did throw his racket. --> can anyone refute this?

3. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Maybe he was fair before, but not after blaming LD for not finishing the match quick enough as the cause for all the trouble in MSF KO 08. Lost my respect right there, sorry to say that the least and an argument unheard of :mad:

If that's true, why we need to improve baddy line calling system, conduct of players and coaches, conduct of court personnels and umpire, reform baddy tournamnets,...etc. :confused: We can just all blame players and let linesmen decide who win or lose :eek:

4. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I did not think that LD was right for what he did and I will say it again that LD needs to be punished for what he did so as LM. I would and will blame any player and any country for bring bad behavior to baddy competitions and bad name to the sports. But, I will only do so with facts, not with any strange notions ;)

5. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Sorry, but after all the 21-21 incident, LD did manage to save the match point in favor of LHI and reverse the situation to get a match point to 23-22 which he did not convert. So your argument is flawed concerning LD's psychology following the incident. You will never know what happened

Again, your argument is flawed because no one will ever know what would happen if the line call was overruled. Just because LD won the next points after the incident doesn't mean he would have won those points in another situation (eg. where the call would have been overruled). Things would have been completely different, because Lin Dan would have served instead of Lee Hyun Il for example. What you are doing is pure speculation.

Me too, you make me laugh, but I do answer your comments :p

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

LOL.....things are going on round and round and round :D

Look's like we will never reach a conclusion :eek:

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Spot on....this was what I explained just now. Too bad, my English is too poor to be understood :eek:

Lin Dan won the point from Lee Hyun Il's serve (to make it 23-22), but, can he guarantee that he will make it 23-21 from his subsequent serve (if the linecall turned out to be overruled at 21-21 and his turn to serve at 22-21).

Two different scenarios....but...I guess ppl just won't understand what we meant anyway :p

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I understood his post different....;)

LOL, you were not in the receiving end when it was CO 2007 - when LCW was said to be mentally weak, how to be champion like that, etc,etc. When he complained abt it in the press, critised as whining, among other things.
    No sympathy for LCW like what LD got in the press reports.

And fans who pity/supported him were said to blindly supporting, finding excuses - granted LCW, knee injury & all, could have lost without all the bad line calls but maybe in 3 tight sets. No slaps in the back for getting runner-up in spite of knee injury, but focus was on "how could he let himself get upset with the line calls".

#148 eaglehelang, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  9. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Is it some sort of,korea helping other countries n represents them for revenging n make china to pay back for what have happend last year?=P

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, INA fans typically have the same mindset as MAS fans right....we are neighbours :D

Just to show that how one post can have different impact on different ppl. "Ground-breaking" comments :eek: Never know that such a small comment from me can induce such a reaction :eek:

On the other hand, after re-reading the posts, I think I might have conveyed the wrong message:

Lin Dan swept over Lee Hyun Il 21-4 and could have won it in the second set. Yet, he missed those matchpoints. The same thing happened in the rubber-set, before all those controversies set in. If he won it at that time, we wouldn't have all this bouhaha.

So, who was to be blamed for his loss, if not for Lin Dan himself :cool: He had the chances to seal up the match without any controversies and he failed to do that.

(Note: I am not blaming the player's inability to win earlier as a cause for the eventual controversies happening latter, but, more for his eventual defeat :cool: I hope this will clear up the misunderstanding).

Move on ppl.....

#150 badMania, Jan 29, 2008
  11. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I never said my argument was perfect. But it was closer to the truth than any of your arguments. No one can deny that LD won the point after the last bad call, which was not corrected by the umpire in MSF KO 08. As I said over and over, I don't like to speculate what would happen if this or that had happened. I only go by what's on the book :eek:

I'm sure we can disagree on the outcome of MSF KO 08. We're all entitled to our opinions, that's what the forum is about :)

12. eaglehelang

We can understand Malay mah. I understood what you meant but Loopy explained it better. Kah kah kah, 'ground-breaking' good mah, CNY coming. Break new ground in 2008 in inducing reactions, hmmmm.

13. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I would say again that LCW was given bad line calls by Chn linesmen in MSF CO 07. I was very angry at what happened and sympathized him for suffering the unfairness. In fact I admired LCW more for his manner, courage, and playing skills more than those of LD. Once, I even suggested LCW should be the would #1 baddy player without knowing how it was calculated from all previous years. But LCW being wronged in CO 07 does not mean LD should be mis-treated in MSF KO 08. Unless there is a fix to the line judging system, it's difficult removing bias from future SS competitions.

14. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for the modifications, points well taken and no bad feelings :)

btw, I thought the post way back at #140 was your last, sorry to have you stay up late for more :D

15. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Leen, I agree that LCW could have the possibility for wining MSF CO 07 (I'm always with you since the hills of Ipoh is so attractive) :D

btw, not the same with Eagle, we just had some minor brush-ins. That's why she flies, while I'm on the ground :p

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So...

...looks like we have somekind of an "middle-ground agreement" here!..:):cool:
    Btw, i was looking for cooler;);), who's arguably the staunchest and one of the "die-hard" fans of LD, in BC, to come in and somewhat give you support. But i think he knew that this small discussion is most likely going nowhere and for a lost cause...anyway...

*Btw, for Birdwood's info (this i hope badMania won't mind me "revealing";)) : i'm sure you've realized badMania is a loyal follower of baddy, but he's also related "directly" to the world of high level academia/universities. So yes, like eaglehelang has mentioned, he is quite fair in his arguments and will have facts collected first before he presents his arguments....Although, i may say, ahem, once in a while he can be a bit "patriotic" in his support/views (i'll let you figure what country he supports)..:p ;)

17. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

ctjcad, the discussion was too hot for cooler to get involved and stay cool at the same time, so he chooses to stay away :rolleyes:

I will take your words for badMania since you are our BC librarian, detective, welcome committee, ... sorry I need more fingers for the hats you wear :cool:

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-It's okay and no problem..

:)..glad to help you navigate and familiarize yourself with the other BCers...;):cool:
    Btw, if you're wondering who's badMania, here's a pic (one of many in BC) of him (and other BCers) during the 2006 S'pore Open:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33674&page=2 (post #22):cool:

19. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for the link, I have to say he's a better debater than you do, and also a very good looking fellow comparing to ...where's your picture anyway :confused::rolleyes:

20. eaglehelang

That's easy, Badmania already revealed it in his reply to me, just a few posts before yours, he he.

Meanwhile, we shall wait for their 'hearing' & outcome, then the heated discussions will re-start.

#160 eaglehelang, Jan 29, 2008