Tang Xianhu - The Thing (Is He The Greatest Ever?)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Sep 11, 2007.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Are you sure Tang left INA because PBSI let him go or due to other circumstances that also result in Hou and Fang left too...;)

2. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Had PBSI exert enough pressure, om Tong would not have to left INA for the 2nd time....That's all I've to say.:eek:
    At least Fang sifu is back in Djarum and Hou is enjoying retirement in the Southern part of USA. :D

#62 badadum, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  3. kong-19

kong-19 Regular Member

casual worker and stringer
    In the 2004 SO, I gave " Kwun " a chinese badmintom magazine.
    If I remember correctly. There is a one or 2 pages article about
    Tong Sin FU`s life, family and why he retired as a head coach
    in the China team.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This is a bit too strong isn't it? :D

5. viver

viver Regular Member

As Chris suggested, to continue discuss topics relating to Tang Xinfu's here in this thread.

Actually on this, it really depends on your availability and sincerity. ;)

It's really not just about the demonstration. It's about the principles that Tang Xinfu based his game on. Furthermore, Tang Xinfu's smash WAS powerful, but it WASN'T more powerful than other players. In my opinion his smashes were lethal because they were very accurate and hard to read. But of course, this is solely based on a layperson's observation. ;)

But again, not description of his demo, it's about the principles of his game. Things that he thought were important - a few words would be enough, such as power, etc...

In this case Tang Xinfu was not honest :confused: in his interview where he clearly stated that he was a player with average skills while in Indonesia. He advanced a lot in terms of badminton skills during his first years in China.

In 1980 :confused::confused::confused:. Tang Xinfu already retired as player. ;) You must seen a different Tang Xinfu in Australia.

6. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

If only LCW can have someone like TXH to help him.. I guess it will help a lot to improve his game.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Tang Xianhu was teaching us how to coach, not how to play

Yes, Tang Xianhu was already a retired player.

Tang Xianhu did not come to Australia to participate in tournaments. His tour was organised by our National Coaches Association as a "Coaching Tour", not a tournament tour.

He was asked to come to teach only our Australian qualified coaches. He did not come to teach our team of players.

Now that's the important thing: Was he telling coaches things different from what he would tell his players? Only he can answer that question.

Yes, from my observations, Tang Xianhu is a player of great fitness and physical strength. But he was asked by our Coaches Association just to teach us Badminton principles and techniques. Therefore, we coaches didn't get to learn how he trained to be so fast and physically powerful. He thought us what to pay attention to when a stroke is performed.

Since most BCers here are players and not coaches, I think that is where my posts were not fully understood. Like you said "It's about the principles that Tang Xinfu based his game on"; But was his coaching method based on how he played? - I would guess that his coaching method was based on what he thinks, not how he played.

On the other hand, his playing method would change (I am sure), if based on how he would play to win (reacting to his opponent's playing style). Here, we are more into "Tactics", rather than into "Techniques". This is a different subject/topic altogether.

You have to remember this: He taught us coaches how to coach, not how to play. And this has probably caused BCers (of playing members) the confusion.

Our then Australian No.1 player, Mark Harry, was invited to play a demonstration match with him. Again, it was played just for our coaches to watch. BTW, there were less than 10 of us coaches witnessing that match (no non-coaching people were invited).

#68 chris-ccc, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Ok, great... beside what u said a few days ago in LCW's thread, any other principles u like to share with us which you learnt from TXH?

9. viver

viver Regular Member

In 1980 the person teaching/coaching you in Australia may has been anybody, definitely not Tang Xinfu.

Can you tell me how was Tang Xinfu's playing style. And how was his tactical thoughts compared to his playing style? You mentioned earlier:

- "I find Tang Xian Hu's philosophy on training methods the best. If only you have studied/listened to his coaching methods. But of course, this is only my opinion"

- "... How do I know? After knowing Tang Xianfu's philosophy, I can only
    guess what he had told Lin Dan before the match. And also how he had
    trained Lin Dan at the 2008 OG (in anticipation for him to face LCW at
    the Finals).
    "

Based on your own words and description, you must have an intimate knowledge of Tang Xinfu's thoughts and training methodologies. Would you be kind enough to share the principles that guided his game then?

In 1980? As mentioned, Tang Xinfu already retired as a player and did not train much. I don't think he would play a match against a fit opponent. And again, in 1980 you could have anybody coaching you guys in Australia, but not Tang Xinfu.

#70 viver, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If you happen to meet Tang Xianhu, just remind him of me...

I think I have wasted all my time posting here (if you think I don't know who Tang Xianhu is :eek::eek::eek:).

If you happen to meet Tang Xianhu, just remind him of me (the one who took him (to introduce him) to McDonalds in Australia. :):):)

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Tong Sinfu – The man behind the victory…

http://edwindwianto.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/tang-the-thing-xianhu-a-wasted-pearl-of-indonesia/

Excerpts:

Tang is the man who responsible for the winning of China’s team. With his magical touch, he makes China into a badminton giant in this modern era.
    The sad part is Tang was Indonesian…

The fact is Tang was born and grew up in Teluk Betung, Lampung, Indonesia, March 13, 1942.

”In China, my name is often called Tang Xianhu or Tang Hsien Hu, depending on the respective regional dialect. But, my parents gave the name of Tong Sinfu”. While still dealing with Indonesian national team, he got the name of Fuad Nurhadi.

...His career began in late 1979, when he started to retire. For six years, Tang had trained China’s female players.

...Then in 1986, Tang started to train Indonesia’s players. Initially, he did not handle Pelatnas Cipayung’s players. He coached at the Bakrie owned club, Pelita Jaya. He was paid USD 750 per month, at that time. After that, Tang was transferred to Pelatnas Cipayung and began to coach there.

...”Indonesia’s players at that time were different from the one now,” he said. “They were of better quality”. “Also, they have a spirit and willingness to be a champion” said the 68 years old coach. ”My philosophy as a coach is not the coach who must be good, but the player himself. The trainers task is only to help” he continued.

...At the 2000 Sydney Olympics, he saw his protege, Xia Xuanze, surrendered at the hands of Hendrawan who was also Tang’s protege while he was still in Indonesia. ...Conversely, the success Ji Xinpeng who had beaten Hendrawan was also thanks to Tang’s instructions.

...How sad is above story ???…
    He could have been Indonesia’s greatest badminton coach…
    He is truly a pearl who have been wasted by Indonesia…

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think this one beats all the loud 'noises' that chris-ccc promised so much but nerevr delivered.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

wow, never knew his background

too bad those videos are in mandarin...

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

chris-ccc promised so much but never delivered?

:(:(:( I am really getting annoyed now.

May I repeat it: Tang Xianhu was teaching me how to coach Badminton, not how to play Badminton. It looks like I haven't been able to get this point across.

BCers (who are players) are still asking what he has taught me on how to play Badminton - While I was only being taught by him on to how to coach Badminton.

I shall stop responding now, because the noise is getting too much for me (I regret to say). Because many readers here do not understand the difference. :(:(:(

It has really got on my nerves. :crying::crying::crying:

#76 chris-ccc, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Well, that is what we are expecting from you. At least Cobalt did dig up something about the coach's job being to help. Now tell us what the 'Thing' say about helping players? This is the right place and if not why was this thing brought up in the first place? Please let us also benefit from the reflected glory of your great experience with the 'Thing'.

17. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Woah, poor chris. Don't make him regret sharing this with all of us.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's time for us to rest and re-think about Badminton now

Thanks undeadshot,

It was good that I went away for a break to cool down. This is getting crazy. :D:D:D

It all started from this post (in LCW's thread);

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I think Chris has been very tolerant. I would have stop long ago. I am a lousy teacher of any sorts.
    Chris, you must be a very good coach.