Rexy Mainaky as Coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    First, England. Then, Malaysia. Both (more or less :p) success. Now, The Philippines.
    Come on, Rexy. Be Guus Hiddink of Badminton! :)

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Today at pers conference attracted media crowd....I had to say that many of them did not know who is Rexy..after hearing all his achievements...they were like wow.....so many questions why rexy chose this country, what's his plan...what he thinks about badminton of phillippines...how much is the salary...etc....

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Some good memories, good times, and a glimpse into what made Rexy a legend. And the legend isn't done yet, no Sir! :D

[video=youtube;Mo5PoFUErww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo5PoFUErww[/video]

#143 cobalt, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yeah, can imagine the philipines reporters open their mouth big when they hear Rexy was the one who guided Nathan R/Gail Emms to win 2004 OG silver and KKK/TBh to win 2006AG,2007 AE. Philipines the last time won medal in badminton SEA games.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Alcala siblings win crowns in Swiss age group netfest
    By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated October 04, 2012

http://www.philstar.com/sportsarticle.aspx?articleid=855794&publicationsubcategoryid=69

Excerpts:

...All the hard work under Olympic champion Rexy Mainaky of Indonesia is slowly bearing fruit for the young members of the Philippine badminton team. “The results are coming in and we’re very, very happy. The hard work is starting to pay off,” said Philippine Badminton Association (PBA) secretary-general Albee Benitez.

...Malvinne, 16, ruled the 19-under division in the Swiss International Junior Badminton Championships while Mark, only 13, made heads turn when he topped the 17-under division.

Malvinne whipped England’s Nathalie Chan-Lam, 21-7, 21-17, in the semis and stopped Belgium’s Marie Demy, 21-5 (retired) in the finals. Mark stunned Sean Vendy of England, 3-21, 21-8, 21-12, for the title.

Mark was the underdog against the 17-year-old Vendy who stood over six feet. But the 5-foot-3 Filipino was all over the court to score the come-from-behind victory.

...The badminton hall inside the Rizal now looks like a training center for national players and no longer a center for beginners and corporate tournaments.

He also reported that the men’s team of Ariel Magnaye and Joper Escueta jumped to 108th in the world from the high 200s just before Mainaky came in.

...“It looks like we are on track. Just look at Mark. He’s just 13 years old and he’s beating players in the 17-under division,” said Benitez.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So,

as reported a few days ago all over the Internet and other media, the PBSI and it's bosses have announced that Rexy, Susi and Christian have been invited to become involved with PBSI's high-profile revamp and bid to get their nation back to it's days of glory.

But.... that leaves a bit of a moral conundrum for Rexy.

I don't know what the PBA has to say about all this, and I would imagine that Rexy would be talking it over with them. However, and this is purely my personal opinion, I think it would be a very, very sad day for Philippines badminton if Rexy left under any circumstances. It would be liked getting kicked in the teeth just as you were getting up off the carpet, only the one kicking you was the one supposed to help you up.

Besides, Rexy is more of the hands-on type. Yes, his portfolio at PBA is more inclusive, and he has to formulate overall strategy for the game as well, but there is the challenge! Whereas at PBSI, I don't see Rexy being allowed to get down and dirty with the doubles players. Too many layers of authority, a lot of other coaches and stuff, and the result can well be a lot of bruised egos.

Yes, if I were Rexy, I'd take my time and think more clearly than I ever did, before I make any decision.

And all this, coming just days after this:

“The results are coming in and we’re very, very happy. The hard work is starting to pay off,” said Philippine Badminton Association (PBA) secretary-general Albee Benitez.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Would love to see REXY stay and make philipines a power house in badmintonToo much politics in Indonesia...

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    REXY!!!

Is it just a coincidence?

He has always been known as a passionate, incisive reader of the game and of people. Give him young, passionate players who are willing to do as he demands of them, and he will mould them into true champions. He has shown this ability over so many years. It is really a sad thing that his call-up back to PBSI happened only a short while after he took over as director at PBA. Sad for the Philippines, because he would certainly have made a huge, positive impact for that country's badminton fortunes, had he stayed on.

But that is now Indonesia's gain. The recent run of improving and excellent results by INA's doubles teams (MD has gained the most, followed by XD) may not be a direct result of his coaching. But surely, his presence and his energy, and his incisive thinking has rubbed off on everyone around him. And with LCS there to guide the girls along with SS and many more, this new-look hands-on coaching management with Rexy at the helm looks like they mean business.

9. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Deep in his heart, he truly believes serving Indonesia national team / PBSI is something he has to do, help and contribute as a Director. Hopefully, he gets the autonomy and freedom to do things he needed for the organization.

10. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

subscribing this thread :D

11. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    I enjoy watching Rexy coaching KKK/TBH. I love seeing his enthusiasm and passion on how much he care about his players. Unlike other coaches who sit down calmly jotting down some points. Rexy is placing himself into the game. He will yell and jump in every single point. His reaction are funny and not exaggerated, deeply show his love towards badminton. I have never seen him sitting down calmly but find him being restless all the time.

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Rexy is restless, maybe as he watched TBH/KK not delivering as he taught them in training that he felt like picking up a racket and jumped in and play himself

13. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Why RExy dont coach Singapore ?

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    In all the years Rexy was at BAM, they managed only one world-class MD pair. In less than a year with PBSI they've got 2 new world-class pairs, and their WD and XD stocks are also rising.

This is good for Rexy. But is is also an indication that the PBSI management and political backing is serious about improving the badminton stocks from the grassroots all the way to world #1.

With his brothers having been persuaded to join back into INA coaching, it appears further improvements should be expected.

15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    yes,,, can see INA doubles department are gaining depth... with so many emerging pairs.

actually, during RExy reign in malaysia he produce more than 1 world chalss pair...

beside koo&tan, there is WD wong&chin... once #1, chan&goh in MX

also Fuzzy, tan bin shen, ong soon hock and few others who manage to made some small headlines.