Camcorder Recommendation for Badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Shiryu, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    VirtualDub is a good AVI editor. Also, I think the VideoLan (VLC) team are releasing a video editor soon.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Here is another program to capture DV to your pc: WinDV (freeware)

3. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Thanks guys!

Chris, I wonder if an VOB file was uncompressed. I've just backed up an one hour plus video to a single layer DVD disc (4.7GB) by using DVD recorder. And I had once used my computer to capture an one hour video from a DV tape. It was in AVI fromat. If I remember correctly, it was a lot bigger than 4.7GB.

demolidor, is it really possible to back up the digital data from a DV tape without converting it to other video formats?

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I read one tape can store close to 13GB data. DV and miniDV should be just digital data stored on tape and can be imported through a firewire connection (or USB).
    Personally I/we went from Hi8 to AVCHD so haven't had to do it for myself. Did try it once at a friend's house and worked fine with windows movie maker.
    This seems to be a decent tutorial, confirming you can import your video in it's original DV-avi format :) -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Import-video-from-a-videotape

#44 demolidor, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- Yes, an uncompressed VOB file should be quite large. It's roughly the same size as an hr long AVI file (if both use the same resolution and are uncompressed).

- Yes, you can download a video/digital data from a DV tape in its original format (use default program or other softwares). However, since DV doesn't have an "official" format and most of the computers out there are Windows/Microsoft-based, the DV tape format is often encrypted into AVI containers (.avifile.dll). One can also get it in Quicktime & MXF formats.

#45 ctjcad, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    So, according to the file size and the video duration. The video that burnt by my DVD recorder was definately compressed!
    I wanna store all the videos in the highest quality. And since I only have 30 something DV tapes so far. I think I m gonna convert my video to AVI format and put them into an external HD.
    Thanks all for the detailed explanation. :)

7. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

being a .AVI file has nothing to do with quality or file size. AVI is just a container. the quality and file size depends on the codec and bitrate of the video.

the best quality you can get will be to copy the compress DV files directly from your tapes. if you can't do that then you'll have to play the DV files and recapture the video stream on your computer using a lossless codec, e.g. huffyuv, before recompressing it into a smaller lossy format, e.g. h264. you're unlikely to be able to capture directly into a lossy format with excellent quality unless you have a super fast cpu.

the lossy format you should choose depends on what you intend to do with the files, e.g. MPEG2 if you want to make video dvds, h264 if you want to make bluray discs or play back on computer, leave it in lossless format if you want to do more editing.

virtualdub only works with VfW (video for windows) codecs, e.g. xvid, so you can't use it to encode AVC files.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Hehe I wouldn't recommend using Huffy, you'll run out of space in no time :D (tried a long long time ago). I do think the windows movie maker directly imports the content on the tape as is without converting if you choose the DV-avi option (or maybe I just think so because HDV can do it). Only problem with tapes is even copying as is will happen with x1 speed so it may be mistaken as converting. The HDV format that records on miniDV has the same downside compared to harddisk and flash memory.

Another WMM step-by-step tutorial, can't get any clearer than this: http://makeinternettv.org/edit/win.import-dvtape.php

They say the filesize ends up being roughly 13GB so whether or not any conversion takes place, 13GB for 1 hour of SD video makes for pretty outstanding quality....

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Don't think you can go wrong with any of the Canon, Sony, Panasonic, JVC top of the range models. The low light image does look a little on the soft side and apparently it's sharper on it's flash memory sister model the TM300 of which there is an upgraded model available: HDC-TM350 with 64 GB SSD memory (http://www.trustedreviews.com/camcorders/review/2009/11/30/Panasonic-HDC-TM350/p1). I'd probably pick that one over the HS300, if it's available (seems JP and Europe model only in addition to being a limited model, do see it available on eBay from Japan). The Sony to me looks the most detailed of the low noise 100% crop comparison pics but best to rely on your own impressions ;).

It's always usefull to check out actual camera footage on YouTube or Vimeo as well :) (although not everyone converts their video's in top notch quality).

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For that one..

..i haven't tried it, only looked at the specs/reviews. so here's my opinion only:p:

- You can't really go wrong with a camcorder that's ranked in the top 3 for 2009 (@camcorderinfo)..;)
    - There are always good and bad to every camcorder. For HS300(e.g. better ability to record @ night-time/low light, bigger storage space).
    - However, i'm just considering the Max. bitrate capability which is only 17 Mbps in comparison to 24 Mpbs. The bitrate affects the quality of the video by allowing how much data is stored per second. Of course, the higher the bitrate the more storage space it needs.
    So, if you have the Panny and Canon and want to record at the same resolution of say 1920x1080, the Canon would have a slightly better quality video because it records more data (mega bits) per second. The Panny version will record in a "compressed" version.
    Further, one can always take a high quality video file (i.e., a large data file) and shrink it (compress it) down with editing software. But it’s nearly impossible to take a low quality (compressed) file and boost its quality by adding more data.

In any rate, the difference in Mbps is minimal. And if one can live w/that, then i'd say, that's fine. For me, i'd say both are equally as good. The price of the Panny is also nice, but maybe not for my pocket.
    Enjoy whichever you choose, Cheung!.:cool:

Some test videos, out of several, from youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxyaiqT8hME
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-y211tipp0 (Night time/low light, looks like it was shot in HK??:))
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diDtJu38rL0 (Moon/night)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ouT3LPrXQ (Day)

#51 ctjcad, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks for the info.

I'll look around for the TM350 - might not be available in HK or the price my be prohibitive (?) - The only disadvantage in the HDD is that the HDD might fail. Less chance of that with solid state media, right?

My friends have advised me to use Mac for the video editing. Any opinions on that?

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- There are good and bad abt recording into a HDD and using solid state media (like SD card).
    - And yes, the HDD might fail or just go kaput is one disadvantage.
    - On the other hand, an SD card (with currently a max. of 32 GB) is also limited in storage.
    I just checked one of my videos recorded at the highest HD quality, abt 10 minutes long, it would fill up abt 1.6 GB of storage space. If i calculate the storage capacity of a 32 GB SD card, it could store roughly abt 200 minutes (just over 3 hrs long) of the highest HD quality video recording.
    - Also, if one decides not to record into the HDD, then i wonder what is it for?
    A 32 GB SD card alone would cost around $80 (at minimum)..:p

- As for using Mac to do the video editing, are you planning to get one, too??;) Personally, i've no experience w/using a Mac to edit videos. However, if that were actually true, then don't you think there would be much more people turning and buying a Mac, just to do the video editing??.:p...
    Have you asked your friend what are the advantages of using a Mac over a PC, to do video editing?
    Oh, and i'd like to share this link (pretty much sums up the differences):
    http://www.poweroid-video-editing.co.uk/Reviews/Articles/Systems/Mac_vs_PC.asp

#53 ctjcad, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think SDHC cards are very cheap in Hong Kong. You can get a class 6, 32 GB SDHC card for about US$40. They will become even cheaper in a few months' time.

15. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

How old is that article? Macs runs on Intel now. In fact, at some time, the fastest laptop to run Windows on is in fact a Macbook Pro (not sure if that's still true). I also find it imbalanced that the article points out that Mac's got iMovie and Final Cut and pointed out the "best editing software are available on PC" without specifically stating where to look.

I do not intend to start an OS or PC vs Mac war but a lot of such "expert" articles are written by fanboys (from both camps). Proceed with caution.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sure..

..wow, is that for a 32 GB SDHC??..do they sell even cheaper in mainland China??:confused:
    ..sure. That may all be true and the article is outdated.
    That's why, considering all the tech is updated & similar, i'd like to know (the reason(s)) why Cheung's friend suggested to use a Mac to do the video editing..:cool:

#56 ctjcad, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't think 32Gb SDHC is that cheap yet!

3 hours recording capacity is better than the 1.5 hours I got at the moment!@! Again, it is all relative.

I do know people who have moved from PC to Mac specifically because the iMovie software has made it so easy. These are not the hard core movie makers but guys with families needing to record memories. They've found software available for PCs difficult to use and when they tried iMovie, it was straightforward.

So you see how desperately difficult it has been for some people to enjoy videoediting:) Pressure of work and family doesn't allow a person to spend time on multiple hobbies.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I see...fair enough..

..so, does that mean you're gonna get a new Mac, too?..:)

..well, that's pretty understandable and i was also guessing it probably has to do with the software/program. I guess, the only person "qualified" enough to "judge" which program is "better" is ourselves, once we try them. Oh, and yes, PC has Windows Movie Maker (already installed if you have Windows XP) which (i've used it before, but not sure if you've used it before or not), supposedly, is also as easy as iMovie.

In any rate, here are a couple of links regarding which video editing software is "easier" or "more intuitive" to use:
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/top-5-free-video-editing-software-review.html
    And (if you have time to read) here's an interesting discussion, on this same query, by some "experts"; a few surprising responses too; i like the very last suggestion;):
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=42fc1210d1effafe&hl=en#all

#58 ctjcad, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  19. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

hkgolden shows that 32gb class 6 sdhc costs about hk$539 = us$70. us$40 right now sounds too good to be true.

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    sorry
    i am new to camcorder
    erm
    are hd / hdd = absolutely clear for recording badminton match?:confused:
    do we need to consider the mega pixel of the camcorder?
    maybe the question sound noob
    hope anyone can help:)