most difficult shot to master

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Aug 23, 2007.

?

most difficult shot to master

1. clear

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. lift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. drop

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. smash

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. straight net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. crosscourt net

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Same shot I thought you were talking about :) it's strange I got good at that shot simply by accident...

What happened was, is that if I was not in control of the rally or was trying to anticipate slightly by standing up the court then if my opponent played any type of attacking clear to the RTH side then I would be struggling, but somehow I always seem to manage to swing my racket round and really cut across the shuttle and send it the other way.:) it's a great shot to be able to do cause it can get you back into so many rallies and in fact it can prove to be a winning shot or at least set you up for a kill especially if your opponent played a clear from deep in their court.

Practice it:)

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ooops, 00:45 is actually the start of the rally :D
    Yeah, but the RTH shot is basically the same, except more difficult and most times more surprising for the opponent. In any case, a good crosscourt drop will be a good way to dig yourself out if you're in trouble as most opponents will anticipate a straight drop or clear.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It's the angle that you can create if you play it right is what is so beneficial. The shuttle just dies in terms of pace, and your opponent is left scrambling and can only play a loose straight net shot (presuming they've played a straight clear and you replied cross court) but it is difficult to get right, and if you play it wrong then you are really struggling in the rally.

The other shot (at 00:45) is played under very little pressure and there is time. Still impressive, useful and just as effective :)

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yep, especially with my height. Thankfully, most people assume that I can hit incredibly hard just because of that, and have their defensive stances quite far back. That makes this shot quite lethal if used sparingly :)
    Somebody had asked before what the shot should look like, that's why I posted it.

5. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    U also did a good drop at 1:28.
    When playing fast, u may want to try "bouncing" back to base from baseline after to u hit - like a quick hop on both feet (same time).

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, I know, really not a great game that one. I've been working on footwork and recovery though...

7. captaincook

captain
    U hit the nail right on the head - the recovery step! Make it small, but extremely fast.

8. KyMurr

KyMurr Regular Member

Suprisingly, the backhand crosscourt drop would've been up until recently, but now I'd say the smash. To be able to master it with proper technique is really difficult.

9. captaincook

captain
    I tried it yesterday. The drop went well, but didn't go crosscourt. Not sure if I didn't turn the racket face enough (or didn't increase the speed of the swing). May be I should have swing hard, same as a smash.

10. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    You should swing hard and cut the shutllecock...then it will be a disguised cross drop.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Swing exactly the same as if you were going to play a flat longline smash (to the base line), but turn the face of the racket to the left. That should result in a nice sliced crosscourt drop going just over the net - if necessary, adapt the angles until you get it right. It's important that you keep the swing straight to create the deception, it's very easy to forget about that and give away the direction early.

12. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Backhand straight drop IMO.

13. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

Backhand cross court smash is hard :p

14. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Any shot you can't do!

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It's all subjective. We all have different strengths and weaknesses but for me, the most difficult shot to master has been the tight dropshot, especially the in-to-out sliced cross court dropshot with a bit of deception.

16. flite

flite Regular Member

The doubles low serve is the most difficult shot to master. This is the only shot that is governed by a set of rules and hence the presence of service judges to regulate it during official tournaments.

Besides, the opponents is always in a ready position (threatening most of the time) to pounce on any less than perfect service. The server is always under constant pressure to perform this shot.

Sometimes a match is decided by the quality of the serve.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I don't think the low serve in doubles is a difficult shot to master, it's just a difficult shot to do consistently well.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your opponent pouncing, it's going to happen however well you play the serve. In most cases, it's down to your partner to return it back. As long as you don't make it too easy for the receiver, it should be fine.

18. flite

flite Regular Member

What is the difference between a difficult shot to master than a shot that is difficult to do well consistently?

If you are able to execute a quality serve, more often than not the shuttle would end up at the net or would went out/wide if your opponent (the receiver) still try to force a push/attacking shots simply because there is very limited (or none at all) angles and space for the receiver to work on and therefore you and your partner holds the advantage in the next few shots which eventually would win you the rally.

It does not only required skills when comes to the double low serve but mental toughness and intelligence comes into play as well.

Anyhow, this is my personal opinion and it boils down on the individual at the end of the day as to which shots is the most difficult to master.

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Not sure if you're asking a rhetorical question or you genuinely have no idea what I'm saying?

A difficult shot to master is one that you will spend a lot of time and effort trying to get right but still tend to struggle with.

A shot difficult to do well consistently is one that you may be able to pick up easily, but can't perform all the time.

For example, a novice may find the backhand a difficult shot to master even though he/she has been practising it for a long time. On the other hand, a singles player may find that a high serve easy to do, but can never get it close enough to the baseline without it going out.

Well, I think you've pretty much stated the obvious there.

Again, that's a given.

I responded because it didn't seem like it's your personal opinion since you said...

"The doubles low serve is the most difficult shot to master"

... which seemed like you're stating a fact.

Well... Bingo!!!! :D That's the point of this thread! To find out what people think are the most difficult shots to master!

20. flite

flite Regular Member

At least you got something right here. I stated mine.

#580 flite, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012