MS: Who has the best head to head record of top players

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by freelast, Sep 10, 2010.

1. freelast

freelast Regular Member

I believe your thinking stuck somewhere. You mentioned many times that CHJ would ranked #1, CHJ would ranked ahead of LD, CHJ stronger than LD based on H2H, but what you said was not true. How to understand statistics is the key for you to solve your :confused::confused::confused:

The H2H should be viewed statistically, even assume CHJ h2h 1:0 against LD (the fact is 0:0 without counting trival games), but CHJ lost to too many other players, how come he can ranked before LD, your wrong reasoning resulted in wrong conclusions. He's not stronger than LD at all.

Same thing for all the other players. CJ just lost a taiwan player, their h2h is 0:1, does this put that unknown taiwan player ahead of CJ in the h2h ranking? or justify CJ is a weaker player than that guy? definitely not.

when Taufik first played Chen Long, Du PY from China, Taufik lost both, that didn't mean Taufik suddenly weaker than CL or DPY. Same thing apply to LCW vs CL where CL won their first encounters.

You got to read statistics statistically, if you just stick to 1 single data, you will definitely get lost. :)

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

virtual fantasy??? lol thats a good one

You make me feel like a hungry wolve......haahaha

3. freelast

freelast Regular Member

I got confused why and what people here arguing about. :confused::confused::confused:

exactly as Yoppy pointed out, I started this thread with the extremly bias opinion to ask for you guys biased opinion back for the list of the best player in your mind. You don't have to agree with my list, or agree with my method/reasoning, just post your list of your ranking. Attacking other people's method doesn't make much sense, if you disagree, just simply give your power ranking for the current active players.

by the way, the title for this thread when I started was "who's the 2nd best active MS players now after WC?" unfortunately, the title was changed by mod not me, which made my posts sound unrelevant. Sorry for that.

#103 freelast, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- I'm biased??..Hardly. I only use the H2H record as my basis, there's no disputing those records. If CJ has a better overall H2H records vs. the other top 10 MS players, i'd put him as no.2. If TH has a better overall H2H records vs. the other top 10 MS players, i'd put him as no.2. If CL has a better overall H2H records vs. the other top 10 MS players, i'd put him as no.2...But what is the reality??..LCW is no.2 because he has a better overall H2H record vs. the top 10 MS players except vs. LD.
    Very simple.
    - For me, to determine who's no.1 or who's no.2 from the current top MS players, i can certainly rely on the H2H records alone.:cool:
    - :pThe argument stems from only a few, i'd say 3 or 4 people, who question the method of determining who's no.2 player behind LD. Basically thought it's a "joke" to use the H2H record as a sole basis, as you've brought them up. Even by the way you created the list (post #6) from the tabulated points is questioned.
    - Yes, i thought the title of the thread has shifted from your original query.
    - If indeed your intention now is to have a subjective & biased opinion, with no specific time range and no basis for the list, then you will get names like Rudy Hartono thrown in the list...i hope that's not what you're really after, is it??..:confused:;)

#104 ctjcad, Sep 16, 2010
  5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Please make up your mind and tell us, which one do you really mean????

1. LD is world's current BEST player, and wanting to find out who's no.2?

or

2. Use H2H record to RANK each of top 10 players based solely on their H2H record

For me no.2 is fine, but not no.1

I asked this because:
    1. You can not use H2H record to say for eg. LCW is world 2nd best player
    2. H2H record is a record, it does/may not reflect the current condition. Eg. LCW maybe better than LD today, just because LCW has a bad record againt LD in the past does not mean he wont be winning againts LD today
    3. H2H can be more accurate and justify if player played each other the same time. We all know thats not the case, so H2H how can we confidently say that looking at H2H record only is sufficient??

#105 Yoppy, Sep 16, 2010
  6. freelast

freelast Regular Member

Actually Rudy Hartono popped up in the list as the best active player, was not what I after for, because that's the list someone got from his god, not human being's thinking. That's not supposed to be biased because it's his god's words. What I am looking for is a biased human being's real thinking.

7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I did gave you my list.
    IMO your innitial post can offensive enough for many. For example, how you assume that LD is the wolrd's best player. There are tons of criteria out there that can knock out LD easily as the best. Dont get me wrong LD is my fav player, i admit it. And im also not here to attack you personally (as you never attack me personally). But the bottom line is, the whole thread can be misintrepeted that we can look at only at the H2H record and say "Thats it, its him the no.1 , no.2 and so on"

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..the way i see it:
    We can use H2H record to RANK each of top 10 players based solely on their H2H record and at the same time figure out who's the world's current BEST player and who's no.2?..(killing 2 birds with one stone)..:cool:

9. freelast

freelast Regular Member

That's the basic difference between you and me.

I encourage people say what they think and what they believe

...... while you disallow people say anything that's against what you think and you believe.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Going round in a circle lala..allalallalla :D:D:D I did tell you Mr.C if you want to RANK base on H2H thats fine!! What are we arguing here??? I thought we gone through that

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Sorry, i dont agree with that

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..yes, see my post #108..:cool:

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

yeah then see my post 111 just above you

14. freelast

freelast Regular Member

By the way, I didn't say LCW is world 2nd best player

Please read my post carefully, in fact, I was wondering whether LCW still the 2nd best player. I thought Chen Jin might be the 2nd best player while LCW dropped to the 3rd.

The other wrong conclusion you draw about me is the usage of H2H. I said according to H2H, LCW might still be the 2nd, but based on the big time winner like Chen Jin (the current WC champion, current Olympic medalist, All england title holder...) he might overtake LCW in some people's subjectve personal power ranking.

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

hahaha thats funny, first you said you encourage people to say what they believe, and i follow your advice....then this :( You may as well tell me to shut up

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    :confused::(:(:(

Any international association or federation evolves a rankings system after very careful consideration of many criteria that a player is eventually judged by on a continuous basis. Now, I don't know about all the criteria, and the point weightages applied to different criteria, but a lot of statistical analysis would be performed, and the formulae wll be devised only after accepting the recommendations from a board or committee of capable, experienced and very knowledgeable people who take a lot of time to evolve their recommendations in consensus.

Let me repeat: from a board or committee of capable, experienced and very knowledgeable people who take a lot of time to evolve their recommendations in consensus.

What you are suggesting is not just pure anarchy, but an invitation to Grade 5 pissing contest. No merit, no justice; no objectivity.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

No.... you read my post carefully buddy, i dont care about whos no 1 or 2 or 3. Its not about that.

Secondly i did not draw the conclusion like you mentioned, if you read my post carefully then you know what i mean. Or you can also ask ctjcad, he knows what i mean (although he does not agree)

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Do not use the H2H statistics to our rank players; it can be misleading

That is why I have posted "I do not like to use the H2H statistics to our rank players".

May be I should rephrase my comment to "Do not use the H2H statistics to our rank players; it can be misleading".

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i don't think freelast is suggesting you to shut up or stop posting; he's merely showing the difference between his intention and yours...:cool:

20. freelast

freelast Regular Member

no, i truly support your right to say that. The fact is that you asked me not to say. (please read the post).

no matter what, I encourage you in saying everyword you want to say including you discouraging me from saying what I want to say :)