Adding one extra cross string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Blitzzards, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

From personal experieince I'd say that missing the ten string off makes no difference at all. My racquet was strung like that once and it changed nothing for me. On the other hand stringing the 8 cross of Yonex, I find is not a good idea at all. I think it causses power loss. I believe the slightly freer strings restore some trampoline effect to a tightly strung racquet when hitting for instance a smash with your racquet held in a vertical position.

I think some shots, one 'carries' the shuttle more than others. Imagine a shot coming at you rising and you smack it right back where it came from, the difference between the angle of arrival and the angle of departure both in the horizontal and vertical planes is zero.
    Now imagine a shot falling straight down that you hit both downwards and off to the left. The angle is about 135 degrees in the vertical plane and say 45 to 80 degrees in the horizontal plane. Thus on this second hit, the shuttle will 'dwell' on the racquet for a longer time.

Since you are probably using both shots in a game, your racquet has to be, ideally, versatile enough to give you power in both situations. (Stringers, what's your best formula for versatility?)

Furthermore, where a player is getting his speed from changes with the individual, there are those people who use a wrist flick and others who move their entire body so that in effect they are hitting shuttle with their abdos.

As i said, missing the 10 cross did nothing FOR ME, but other people might not be getting their power from the same way I am and maybe it works for them. Likewise adding the 8 cross doesn't work FOR ME, others may find it useful.
    I really believe that the only way to get exactly how you want is to try each system, simply because what works for one person might not for another.

(Sorry about the geometry in this post. In my house if you're served pie, you get asked 'How many degrees can you eat?' - Well you learned that stuff in school didn't you? We might as well make use of it!)

#101 Grotius, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    ...now includes french geometry.... its confirmed interesting..

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It may not be about the number of cross strings at the bottom but do you see the tapered frames of an iso and an ARC Z, the former on the top and the latter at the bottom? The total frame or stringbed area of the ARC Z may even be larger but it plays faster than an iso Cab 20. Reducing air resistance at strategic places to suit the late acceleration of badminton shots, that is provided you know the technique of using late acceleration, will pay rich dividends.

4. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    some buy that while some don't, guess you have to figure it out how to prove your point. i know you tried your best :cool:

it will solve the problem if lin dan's stringer, in a hurry, forgot to put the last cross string in his racket...:D:D

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

If you want to put it that way then:

Notice the one additional cross string right near the top of the frame. It doesn't tell us anything does it? Whether Lin Dan specifically requested for it or the official stringer on spot did it for a specific reason is up to speculation. Even if either case someone knows that adding one additional cross string onto the string bed has some benefits. We have yet to prove that the omitting of one cross string has much if any benefit yet major competition play.

FYI Lin Dan won the AE2006 by beating Lee Hyun Il with this particular racquet.

6. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    then you solve part of the problem!:cool: and the other part of the problem is getting the rest here to buy that!:D:D

7. Blitzzards

I don't like repeating myself :cool:

8. GrayDark

GrayDark Regular Member

Medical Transciptor
    It tells us from the picture that LD wants to hit the shuttle at the top of the frame sometimes and not just the sweetest spot of them all for all the reasons not intended for public discussions, probably:)!

So adding one more at the top or at the bottom and even skipping whereever, if, at the end of the day, it happens to be LD, LCW or TH doing that kind of string pattern, then it wouldn't matter, does it? But since we are mere enthusiasts or not at their caliber of play, we tend to be more keen on discussing the pros and cons these pros never gave a hoot:cool:? So what gives for all the logs here:)?

9. GrayDark

GrayDark Regular Member

Medical Transciptor
    Yup, a tennis comparison (but claims to be a badminton stringer first and foremost), from a guy who supposedly got tons and tons of stringjobs under his belt who likes to flaunt his stringing prowess but is a snob when ask as per client's request a certain pattern or tension variation because the guy wants to impose his skills and seems to know better and doesn't give a damn because he thinks he is superior to the guy needing a stringjob:rolleyes: and charges extra if the client insisted:mad:.

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    thats what we call businessmen..:D

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi
    please tell us what you are drinking. I will suggest most people to stay away. Because you are just making no sense at all...

And don't worry, this is only reply to your post. Have a nice life.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I think graydark is just another one of his new alias because he got banned before.

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i was waiting to see what's he's got with his tennis stuff until you came along with that..:D:D

14. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    Most yonex racket is 22 main and 22 cross, The starts at top 7 ends and bottom 9.
    Most non yonex racket( victor, head, blackknight) is 22 main and 23 cross. They finish at Bottm 8.
    Some new Yonex (ARC10, ARC9, ARC7) is 22 main 21 cross, They starts a top 8 end and bottom 9.

The is common for Chinese team to add extra cross at top. So their yonex usually starts at top 6, and end at bottom 9. It become 22 main 23 cross.

It is only could be done at two point machine, and impossible on most 6 point mahine. Because the top cross would be too close to frame, The middle beam on 6 point machine just too thick for that to happen. It is in the way of that extra cross. Even on two point machine , extra cross is difficult to do. Some racket has a small single pass grommet at top 6 make it also impossible.

One thing most experience stringer agree, best playable racket is string form top to bottom, so the top part for the racket is tigher than the bottom part. It makes sense, since when you do a smash the top part has higher speed than bottom part of racket. The faster the racket speed , the higher the string tension. That is why most pro prefer high tension, and usually wouldn't work for most player, average player just can't wipe the racket as fast as pro. Add extra cross would provide more support and higher the tension and you could raise you hitting point on the racket.

But we also know , string from bottom up is safer( which is recommanded by Yonex).

So at extra cross on bottom is not something new, It is just a standard for non yonex racket.

#114 Tim1456, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Good summarization there, Tim1456!

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

there are many ways to have tighter top feel without doing TD.

If taneepak likes less air resistance, he should be recommending 1 less cross at the top since 1 less top cross is more meaningful than 1 less bottom cross. As noted, chinese team 'add' one more top cross. This debunks taneepak's claim that removing 1 or 2 bottom cross will give u practical advantage in speed gain.

#116 cooler, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Cooler, please do not make false claims on my behalf. I have never said that one missing cross string at the top will reduce air resistance in any meaningful sense. It works only on or at around the T-joint or throat area-in other words the bottom part, not at the top. In addition I replace all U-shaped paired grommets at the T-joint with small single grommets to reduce air resistance too.
    One more cross string at the top will not significantly affect air resistance as the velocity at the tip is so much greater. That extra top string is there to ensure any mishit at the top will not snap the string. Players tend to hit the top part of the racquet than the bottom part, hence any mishit at the bottom is more unlikely.

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

So given the string has same gauge. The additional top string on the top should have approximate same air resistance index as the string near the throat. If that is the case, the top string will produce more resistance to the racquet head speed because 1) It is near the top. So the leverage will produce more resisatnce force. 2) The speed is faster as you mention. So the resistance force will be greater because the force=speed*resistance index (just a simple formula for some one has no idea in physic) Master Cooler is not claiming anything you did not say in your post.

19. Blitzzards

Agree totally on this simple physics fact; the faster an object is moving, the more resistance force it will have restricting its movement forward, no matter how small the restriction area is. Although actually the faster the speed of movement the more serious the resistance force will be even if the surface area remains the same.

So to summarise (for all), the extra cross string will have much more effect on swing speed due to resistance if it is placed at the top rather than at the bottom as claimed, if the extra cross string actually does increase resistance surface area in the first place anyway.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

silentheart, blitzzards, thanks for noting the air resistance effect at the racket top.
    I wasn't plannig to reply to taneepak's previous post because he has a 'selective' view on basic physics. I like to note his illogic statement which u two had also caught.
    i dunno where he learn that drag force becomes insignificant with increasing speed. It baffles me. At low velocity, drag force can be at 1 to 1 with speed increase. At higher velocity but subsonic, drag force is more than 1 to 1, it's to the square of velocity.

Attached Files: