Professional Players and their Tension

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by maa2003, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

same for me.

newly strung bg 65 @ 25-26 pounds is okay, but the tension drops wayyyyyyyyyy too fast...

2. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Hack! they didn't show the tension of BCL! Anyway 30-34lbs! thats nuts! Imagine trying to do a backhandclear with that. Do you think all these professional players have damn powerful wrist flexors?

3. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

- BCL is not Olympics medalists
    - they are all professional, and everyday nothing but badminton training only.

4. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    george, im using bg66 too... its beta for me... bg65 kinda sucky le... :D

5. ssertere

ssertere Regular Member

me too, but just because my bad racket can only have low tension (abt 20) so i must use bg66 to cheat it :).

6. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

can anyone tell me whats the advantage of having a higher tension racket?

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Actually you don't need big muscles to play with high tension. The great advantage with high tension is the speed the shuttle leaves the stringbed is greatly accelerated, provided you use wrist snap or whip. Also the control is better. But if you do not have a strong and whippy wrist then very high tension will only hurt your arm. Low tension is for arm players whilst very high tension is for wristy players who can cock and uncock the wrist with perfect timing.

8. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Only if you can hit hard enough to sufficiently depress the string bed :D:)

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

No, you don't have to hit hard. It can done with a mere push at the net, provided you use your wrist snap fast enough. It is hand speed, not brute force, that can send the shuttle away with very high tension at great speed. You know you have fast hand speed if every shot you hit has that crisp, dense exploding sound. If your shots are crisp sounding then you have probably got the technique. If you hand speed is slow then a 30lbs tension will hurt your arm and you will feel like you have hit a break wall. The sound will be low pitch and will sound like a dull thud. If your hand speed is fast enough, and this requires a very good wrist, you can effortlessly hit it at even 33lbs, even with a simple stick smash. A good test is the net tap or dab. Very high tensions make net dabs, if played with a strong wrist, sharp, punchy, crisp, and always hit down at the highest point.
    Some women in their 50s and 60s cannot play below a tension of below 26lbs. They graduated from 22lbs to over 26lbs many years ago. A few of them play with 28/30.8 lbs There is a muscle giant of a man who cannot handle even 25 lbs (he prefers 22lbs), which is understandable because of the way he hits the bird. His hitting action is all arm and you can tell where he is going to hit the shuttle to easily.

10. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Hehe..might be suck for u n me n for some more people..but it's the best for most of the pro players.;).I don't like BG65 either..i prefer BG80,BG68ti,sometimes BG66.But u're talking about LD n u didn't know LD uses BG65.So,that makes me wonder,where were u in BC?:eek:

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Agreed.Big power isn't all that is required to play in high tension.It's more of a technique..how to transfer the power using the parts of ur body at the rite time.

12. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

haha ok thx so looks lyk u nid a fast wrist and u have to hit the shuttlecock with a whip like motion?

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hmm, im here everyday.:)in bc forum..
    but that does not mean that i know what player uses what string etc..;)
    i seldom like to know what string did the professional players uses and im not interested of it too..:rolleyes::eek::eek::p:p
    i just know what string lee chong wei use..:D:D;)

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This may be an eye-opener about very high tension. Commenting on China's space launch last night, an outer space expert/professor said that a tiny 1cm debris would be able to smash the space craft to smittens like a big car speeding at 100mph. The reason is the speed difference. So size alone is not important. It is the speed of the hand, in particular the use of the wrist snap. Without any wrist snap even a giant would not be able to play at 30lbs tension without effort. Just look at the very high tensions today's top Asian players use, even girls and women who are relatively small in size. These small Asian women players do not have more strength than men like you and me-in fact they have less strength-so what is it that makes them able to play at 33-36lbs tension?

15. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

oic so is there any way to improve the speed of ur wrist snap? Cauz i have been doing reverse wrist curls using a 5kg dumbell for 40reps and 2 sets

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Training racquet/ squash racquet.....wrist curls and stuff don't work for explosive power.

17. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

so if wrist curls dun work then wad do they do??:confused:

18. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Just make your forarms really bulky and strong for lifting heavy stuff really slowly.