New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    yes that's true
    I play double mostly
    and it has been years since the last time I played single
    so it really depends on your needs / requirements ;)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    OMG!

Best racket. Ever. ;)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

You and Maklike, stop it with these one word reviews!
    We want more details! :p

4. Densha

Densha Regular Member

Student
    I love the red paint on the black strings ! I'm willing to do the same, and also black paint on pink strings :D

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I was in the gym just now but I had to let u guys know so I made a short post. Now I am home but the broadband is down. Can't really write a proper review on a phone. Will write a better review tomorrow.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

No problems, I was just ribbin'. :)

Reading others' reviews are all I can do vicariously for now, as I won't be able to play due to vacation till next Monday, despite having received my mx80 from Eric today!! :D :crying:

But I must say the woven carbon looks very purty! :p

7. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    I've told you so...
    glad you think so too
    we share the same opinion here ;)

8. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Just got my racket today, still waiting for another 2 hours to play with it, so i thought i'd check it out in detail :D
    All i've gotta say is this racket is a freak!!!
    It's a 4U balanced at 301mm (after removing original grip and replacing with my own)
    ...and you know what? It's just as fast as my nanospeed9900 3U balanced at 283mm!!!
    Also, it's strung at 26lbs w nbg98, but it feels stiffer than my nanospeed's strings which are nbg98 strung at 28-29lbs.
    It just doesn't make sense at all! Cant wait to play with it tonight :D

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i had mine strung with VS-850 @ 25lbs. same as my BS10. and honestly, it doesn't feel any stiffer than the BS10.

previous claim of stringbed feeling stiffer on a higher hole count racket was on a racket with a 24main x 24cross hole pattern. that hole pattern results in a higher string density which naturally results in a stiffer stringbed.

the MX80 is a 22m x 22c pattern which is not any denser than regular rackets. so it doesn't make sense for it to be stiffer at all.

10. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

If have more spare racquets, please string-test it higher at @29ish:cool: with either UM or NG98;)? tks.

11. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    I know, but that's why i'm so confused.
    When I push the strings in on both rackets, they feel the same, but when I hit the strings, the mx80 has a slightly higher ping to it.
    Only about like 5% higher though, but the thing is, its a big difference in tension (26 compared to 29). The ns9900 also has quite a lot of grommets, dont know how many though. I'll know for sure whether it's actually tighter when i hit a shuttle later.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a spare MX80?? that's a novel idea. :D

maybe maybe... ;)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah, but was the NS9900 used? for how long? depending on the string and the tension and how long it has been used, a racket can lose up to 4lbs or more.

14. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

I'm sure you got more coming your way;).

15. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Hehe, youve got me, the nanospeed was used for around a 10 sessions which is like a month. But I dnt think a months work is enough to lose that much, thats why i put 28-29 before.
    Anyways, on another topic, I read that the 3U version had bp293mm and the 4U bp305mm which is a huge diff. Does that mean that the 4U will be equal in power or perhaps even more powerful than the 3U? It sounds as if the 3u is more for doubles whereas the 4u is singles. Can someone please clarify?
    Thanks

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    maybe if i ever declare: "the search is over." then i will.. ;)

17. druss

druss Regular Member

It has been discussed many times that the BP of rackets will be different even within the same racket type. There is no real way to ensure a BP within a small +/- range which is why Yonex does not have a BP spec. Even the weight spec is a range. So if you took two same 3U rackets you'll find the weight and BP to be different.

18. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    OK, here's my view on the Meteor X80 after just 2 hours of doubles and 1 singles match.
    I L.O.V.E. this racket!!! It's just sooo easy to play with, very crisp, solid, light, manoeuvrable, powerful. It's really got everything.
    The funny thing about today was that 2 of my friends turned up on this very same day holding their brand new Voltric 80's (3U and 4U) haha.
    Of course I tried them out, and IMHO, the MX80 was way better. Defensively, it was a world away, and power-wise I couldnt really tell the difference, only that the MX80 was easier to smash with because its lighter and more aerodynamic (VT needs a lot of input to get results which tires you out), another difference was that the MX80's smashes were going steeper whereas the VT80 flexed a lot. But that could just be me as I have a very fast swing. Both my friends ended up putting their VT80's down and switching to their usual rackets after 30mins whereas I couldnt let go of my MX80 even if I tried. I even had the chance to play singles, and I just have to praise this racket again. Getting behind the shuttle and then flicking your wrist is enough to win a rally with this racket. The smashes are so powerful and steep even with a wrist smash because of the stiffness, head heaviness and manoeuvrability combined. I have found my new weapon after only 2 hours with it. Now time to sell my sw35 and invest in a 3U version on the MX80 to see if its got more to offer. Yes, the racket i have now is a 4U, just thinking of using the 3U is getting me excited :D

19. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Just wondering if anybody who has used the mx80 knows if its more or less stiff then the arc 10 a lot of people seem to find that both are very stiff though I dont find arc 10 to be too stiff.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    MX10 is more stiff.

ARC10 is not that stiff of a racket. however, if you find ARC10 too stiff, try the ARC9 or ARC7. they are less stiff version of the ARC10.