BC Thomas/Uber Team Tournament (Kwun-Drifit Cup)

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by abedeng, May 14, 2010.

1. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Welcome to the Canon camp Loh. See you at the SO :)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, I'll be there even when LD et all will not show up. :mad:

3. epaphroditus

epaphroditus Regular Member

i like this photo:D
    thanks uncle[/quote]

You sure have "gaya", I give you a 10 :D

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    but ability not good enough:mad::crying:

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Wah, u guys actually had 'secret' training at the venue , eh?:D

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Classic Match 4: Porroy/fastdrop vs rawtiger/nokh88

Classic Match 4: Porroy/fastdrop vs rawtiger/nokh88

This was to be the most dangerous undertaking of the World Team (Filipino Powered), going head to head with an almost extinct Malaysian Tiger and the Tiger's master from the city down south of Johor Baharu. :eek:

Almost from the word "Play", the merciless Tiger and his mercenary "trainer" pounced on every loose "fastdropshot" with such ferocity that could only be seen in a Jet Li Kungfu Movie. :D Despite having prepared and warmed up well for the match, fastdrop had to spend much of his first game ducking and dropping away from those flying missiles. :p Porroy tried gamely to steer a defence but there was just no chance of salvaging the scores into doubles figures. They were just "eaten alive" 8-21.:eek:

In game 2, with the, err, Tournament Referee giving a bit of "Team Support", this Filipino pair went up a notch higher. Now already "full", the Tiger and his master was more accommodating in providing, ahem, bonus pts to keep the scores more competitive. But the World pair still went down 16-21 with flaming red faces of heatstroke ..... wakakakaka.:D

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Well, that's all the Classic Matches that I could remember in the tournament. Didn't get to see the rest of the matches because of officiating duty. Maybe the umpires of those matches can give their, ahem, expert opinion of how the match actually transpired.

For example, I would REALLY LIKE TO KNOW Terry's explanation for mopping up the floor while doing umpire duty during loh/hagen's match against suetyan/mengkiat ..... :eek: :p

As tournament officials, we are supposed to be "beyond reproach" and not give any side an advantage. :D

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    That's extreme commitment from the World Team, training in a stadium where heat cannot escape and kites can't fly. :D

There was even a "Press Blackout" during the training program, so their focus were not interrupted and they didn't provide any excuse for failing to win the cup ...... :) other than advanced years and low power yields.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks abedeng for the precise account of the match except that I'm not the master but the pupil. The heat probably hampered their abilities.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

An exception perhaps for senior "uncles"? :D

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Your partner, Hagen is not "Uncle" yet.
    On a lighter note, since you are the only combination from World Team to score point, may I dare say that most of the MAS team would like to have a game with you and Hagen. He he:D

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hagen is quite a friendly guy. If you can get someone to sponsor his trip back to KL, I'm sure he would oblige most happily. For one thing, he wants to taste the satays again, plus the teh tarek to go with them if possible. :D He also wants to escape from the cold weather in Germany. But make sure you arrange to have ReflexWorld airconditioned to give him a fair chance of survival! :p

I'm glad abedeng was not around to umpire our match otherwise he would expose all our shortcomings. Terry had been most agreeable to the extent that he helped mop the floor for us. :rolleyes::)

You know I can't do much but to rely on Hagen's booooommmming smashes...;) But of course I also look forward to the satays as well. :)

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    OK Chief Umpire and Referee abedeng, I'll let the cat out of the bag to alleviate the suspense. ;)

Terry was most thoughtful and should be given credit for it. The incident occurred as follows:

I dived to retrieve a particularly acute and dangerous drop shot on the right forecourt, I think executed by suetyan (can't remember too well for it happened so fast and I was slow :(). I managed to just get to it and made a low net cross-court return. Our opponents could not take advantage of it and had to keep the shuttle in play by hitting high. Hagen was waiting and in his excitement, alas he hit into the net! :eek:

Umpire Terry was quick to spot the wet patch on the floor and immediately got on to "mopping the floor". He was caught on camera. Temperatures were rising both in relation to the competitive environment and physically in the 'hot' enclosed courts as evidenced by our dripping wet shirts. Quite rightly, as a 'qualified' umpire Terry had to look into the safety of the players first, especially when one of them is a "senior uncle". :p

You don't wish to see the uncles breaking a bone and surrender the game, do you? :rolleyes:

So kudos to Umpire Terry for saving the day and helping us earn a most precious point for Team World. :D:D:D

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    From your detailed description, it was really serious competition and appreciate the 120% effort and dedication spent on this tournament. We are all proud of ourselves.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Video clip during the BC baddy get-together day..

..just want to share this video clip:
    in Blurry D's car on the way (after being 1 hr late), then the car's GPS stopped working as we got a bit lost, the baddy session and the satay parteeeyyyyyy..*i still can smell the satays*..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmyOdfKyUlI

#215 ctjcad, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  16. epaphroditus

epaphroditus Regular Member

Heading back to the US tomorrow. It has been a great pleasure to meet up with you guys, and I really enjoyed the games, friendship, satay, and the hospitality shown by the locals. Looking forward for the next gathering. Thank you all!

p/s: Love the new look of BC website!

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    have a safe trip yeah
    hehe
    hope to see u soon
    uncle
    hehe

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Pics from my camera

Attached Files:

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Indeed, umpires do need to cover the, err, "health and safety" aspect of the tournament, more so when we just got our "retired VIP comrade" back, wakakakaka .........

However, it must be done, ahem, impartially. So I will need to see another pic of Terry mopping the Malaysian side as well.

20. BadYankee

BadYankee Regular Member

hiker
    It was told that the Legend can not be upheld nor supported!