Victor Brave Sword 12 (review)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ucantseeme, Jan 14, 2011.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If they actually argue that they're too good for one racket or another, then they're full of crap. If they argue that they're not comfortable with it (or more comfortable with another), it makes sense. Many players will not be very comfortable with the Bs12 both due to the low head weight and the bendy shaft, which makes it hard to control hard shots like the smash if you have a quick, hard swing and are not used to the racket. Even for me, it's the most flexible I can go, more would probably be too much to still control the sideways placement of smashes or the exact length of lifts (which are the two areas where a flexible shaft irks me most, followed by singles defense where I have to cover a wider area).

Additionally, you can never be too sure with the GREAT pros and what they're using - chances are it's not stock equipment you could get in a store.
    LYD should have a stiffer version than the stock Bs12, otherwise I can't see how he would get THAT much power out of it with the string tensions he uses....I'd also suspect a higher BP/head weight, but for all I know he likes it that way.

Let's just agree that the Bs12 is a cool racket for those lowly amateur players out there ;)

2. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

If I like the bs09 would I like the bs12? I've been trying to figure this out and I am not sure anymore... some people say that bs12 is head light but judging from the BP that's talked upon here, I find out more leaning towards slighty head heavy. Could someone give me more insight? I have played with the bs09 and I found that racket to have the best specs for me however its harder to obtain one nowadays. I own a bs10 as I wanted more power from the bs09 but it lacks the speed that I need for doubles.

Gpower likes this.
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Interesting. In my experience the BS10 is faster. But yeah, if you like the Bs09, you'll like the Bs12. It's pretty much the same racket, although the ones I got seemed to have a better quality control than my Bs09s as the weight was more constant.

4. meteor

meteor Regular Member

On friday I had one last club evening before holidays and wanted to give BS12 more playing time. The results were appaling (utter rubbish defence combined with modest power) so I decided to strip all my racquets to the same replacement grip only and then checked their weight to see if there are any major BP and weight inconsistencies. My BS12 stands out as the heaviest by far at almost 94g and BP just over 300mm. In contrast mx70: 90g and 305mm, Carlton VTT (first generation) 88g and 305mm, mx60: 92g and 300mm...
    Look forward to see how it fares with no overgrip. I'm desperate to make this racquet work for me :)

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I know that feeling, it's very similar for me with my heavy heavy Bs09. It's actually so bad that I prefer to use a N90. When I pack 6 rackets, they're (usually)
    Bs12/Bs09 [go-to]
    2xBs10
    2xN90.
    The Bs10 feel completely identical, and the N90, while slightly different, are similar enough that there's no sudden loss of speed or power when changing after a broken string or because the grip is practically dripping with sweat.
    Had the good fortune of being able to stay with the Bs12/Bs09 in competition so far, though. Only 1 broken string every match day.

6. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

Many seems to have weight consistency issue with Victor rackets. My LYD with AC102EX over original grip is having 96g and BP of 295mm. Is it common or probaby facing the same problem ? Meanwhile MX80 with same setup gives me 92g and BP of 305mm. Personally i prefer the MX80 weight compare to LYD.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Can someone tell me how thick the frame of the BS12 is or have a photo of it against say a yonex arcsaber?

I prefer thin frame racquets and just wondering if the BS12s frame is thick like say an Armotec?

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The Bs frames are way thinner than any Yonex. Also much faster. Nanoray 800 comes close concerning thickness, but is still not as thin...

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks, but I meant the thickness of the frame when looking at the side profile of the racquet head... not looking at the racquet face. Is it thick that respect?

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ah. In that case....they're not thick, but I think they're not really different from other slim rackets in that area. Here's a quick photo with my Bs09, Bs12 and an Arc7 I got for stringing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    j4ckie, many thanks for uploading the photos. That confirms what I needed to know. For some reason, I just don't seem to get along with wide framed racquets. I have a couple of old aerotus, widebody, armortec and Ti-8 racquets that I just never really used and is now just part of my collection. The thickest I've got along with would probably have been the MP100. I've always preferred the thin minimalist frame shapes so this has sort of made me think twice about getting a BS12. :(

Measuring your image on PS... I get roughly...

302 pixels BS09
    292 pixels BS12
    250 pixels Arc7

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm. I can only say that the Bs frames are noticeably faster than the Arcsabers I've tried, and the Bs09 is imop very similar to the Arc7, while better in many aspects. I would not pay too much attention to details like that, after all if you think you won't like sth most of the time that ends up influencing you.
    The important aspects of a racket are the speed (influenced by the frame shape and BP/weight/distribution of the material) and the feel you get with it when you hit the shuttle (depending mostly on the frame shape, shaft stiffness and materials used).
    Mostly people tend to flock to two types of rackets - speedy ones that don't feel quite as solid as heavier models, but usually give better feedback (and are much easier to wield in rapid exchanges), and head heavier ones that don't quite have the speed or feedback of the lighter counterparts but are potentially more powerful. For some, a light racket will be more controlled due to the increased feedback, while others prefer a heavier racket as it smooths the motion and won't veer off course as easily.

I would recommend you test rackets without looking at them too closely, and rather just experience how they perform for you....and, other than me, just get several of the one that is best (instead of getting 1-3 of many different models)

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yeah I guess so. It's just something I've noticed over the years - that I only seem to go for racquets with thinner frames. There are several things I look for in a racquet aside from the balance (even balanced). Racquets which have thick frames in my experience, do not generally have all these attributes... (but usually tend to fall at my first hurdle - being too head heavy).

1. Forgiving off-centre shots (usually a sign of good torsional rigidity) and large sweetspot (some racquets have really tiny sweetspots despite specs that matches my requirements... e.g. Arc10, whereas Arc8DX has a much larger sweetspot)
    2. Fast for defense, drives and backhand smashes.
    3. Solid feel.
    4. Good touch/feel - thick bulky frames seem to be more clumsy at the net.
    5. Stiff.

I don't need too much head weight for smashing, something like the ArcZS's balance is perfect. But in terms of speed, when you say it is faster than any Arcsaber you have tried, do you mean it is fast when smashing (fast overhead swing) or do you mean it is fast for defense/drives?

I've noticed that my ArcZS is very fast for overhead swings, but when it comes to defense/drives, it is not quite as fast as my NS9900 (which ironically I find marginally slower than my ZS in overhead strokes)

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I own the Bs09, 12 and 10, and they're all superior to the Arcsaber 7, 8DX and 10 in speed, both overhead and on defense. The Bs09/12 may be a little slower on defense because of the medium shaft while the Bs10 responds immediately to any movement.
    The thing is that the Bs series, while the fastest range of rackets I know, does not have quite the same head stability as other ranges for the very reason that makes them the fastest - the unusual frame shape and maneuvrable weight/BP. While I have no problem with that whatsoever, you might find that they're not quite as forgiving as other rackets on off-center shots. My personal benchmark for stability, torsional rigidity and overhead control is the N90, which obviously has a lot of drawbacks though, being the heaviest racket I've held in my hands so far.

One more thing - you mention that you want your rackets to be stiff, yet that you like the Arc ZS. Which is true? Because either you like stiff rackets OR you like the ArcZS (which I find to be very unstable as well) :D
    Comparing the Bs10 to the ArcZS, it's very noticeably stiffer, similarly forgiving/unforgiving on off-center shots (meaning outside of the sweetspot, they react similarly, but the Bs10s sweetspot is larger) and faster in defense. Overhead, I guess it really depends on the weight as both rackets are very quick in that area. My Bs10s are probably slightly slower than the ArcZS there, but with a slightly more weighted head they also feel more solid and powerful. In defense the Bs10 is superior as the stiffer shaft allows for greater control on the fast movements and less delay. I'd place the ArcZS between the 09/12 and 10 there (with all Bs rackets profiting from the bigger head in that regard) or on even terms with the 09/12.

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes I absolutely agree that the ArcZS does not feel stiff (I've always said this in previous posts). But this is because it has a longer shaft, which allows it to flex more. I think if it did not have that longer shaft, it would feel stiff (by yonex standards). However, I only really feel this lack of stiffness when playing overhead shots (particularly whipped smashes) where the racquet bends more. But since it is so fast in the overhead department, it seems to mask this deficit to some extent. I think if it were stiffer, I would like it more. But admittedly it is a little compromise that I can live with.

Strange, I actually find that off centre shots on the ZS quite good. It's one of the things I like about it. Yes, it has a narrower head, so there isn't a lot of room for error sideways, but I very rarely hit the frame on the sides. Frame shots for me, tend only to be near the top of the racquet. So as long as the racquet is stable up to say 1-2 inches from the frame at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions, I should be ok.

But as a positive result of the narrow head it seems to have stretched the sweetspot lengthwise, above the centre - which reminds me of the classic oval shaped carbonex racquets.

I've never tried the N90 but my benchmark for stability would probably be the original Ti-10.

I'd like to get a better idea of what the BS12 medium stiff shaft is equivalent to? Would you say it is more or less flexible than an ArcZS?

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Mor flexible. It's rather similar to the Arc7 that way...my guess would be that the Bs11 is similar to the ArcZS, but I've never used it so I don't really know. The ArcZS is somewhere between the 09/12 and 10 in stiffness and speed, I guess...being closer to the 10 in speed and 9/12 in flexibility.
    Although if I wanted to be absolutely sure I would have to re-string the ZS and take it for another spin, because the way it is now it feels like I'm hitting the shuttle with a plank of wood or under the influence for all the feeling and control I get :S Have to string it at least 1, more likely 2 lbs tighter than the Bs to get a similar measure of feedback (although power suffers then). No wonder Tago's string have such a high pitched sound!

Funny thing - even though I have much trouble using the flexier Li Ning models such as N50/N50II/N70, I never have control issues with the Braveswords, whereas there have been games where only 2/10 down-the-line smashes remained in with the LN. I guess heavy head and medium flex don't combine well for me...

17. yaojun05

yaojun05 Regular Member

Fund Accountant
    I've always wanted to find out what it's like to play with a Victor's racket and I finally decided to buy one last week after much research. My first Victor racket, a BS 12 (1st gen) and it turned out to be a gem indeed. I was looking for a racket that fits my style of play (doubles play; smash and control) and this racket did not disappoint :) It felt great when I first played it on court. My smashes were consistent in that I could keep going without feeling the strain on my arms unlike those head-heavy rackets which can be quite unforgiving to the wrists. I could generate smashes of decent power with a head-heavy racket but I couldn't keep up with that level of power after 20mins of play. That said, even though this is a mid flex racket, it still packed a punch when I was doing my smashes. I did not feel any lack of power in my smashes compared to my previous head heavy yonex arc saber z-slash. In fact it was just as powerful. Clearing to the back of the court is effortless and the response of BS12 is just excellent. I could return smashes in double quick time and I could also see an improvement in my net play where I could get my net shots closer to the net with higher consistency. This is definitely my all time fav racket. I might get myself a BS12 (new gen) for my second one. Anyone has any feedback on this racket? Any difference with the 1st gen BS12? Cheers :)

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Afaik, the only difference is the paint job. Any in what universe is the Z-Slash head heavy? :D

19. Benito

Benito Regular Member

I've played several months with Z Slash before to sell it. Now I have a BS11 2nd generation and I think they are very similar, but I prefer the BS11 (more stable, easier to control, approximatively the same speed). By the way, I'm using MX JJS, very repulsive and powerfull, excellent racket for doubles.

20. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Does anyone have a BS12 4U and 3U? Just wondering how big a difference there is between them, if any? I'm mainly wondering if you still have the same speed with some extra power that comes with the added weight.

I have a 4U which I bought as my 'lazy' racquet but I still use it often so I'm considering getting a 3U too.