Woon Khe Wei

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ixory, Apr 22, 2007.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Vivian Hoo (back) and Woon Khe Wei won the Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold yesterday.

WOMEN'S doubles Vivian Hoo-Woon Khe Wei ended their brilliant run in the Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold in style when they clinched their first international title in East Kalimantan yesterday.
    The unseeded Vivian-Khe Wei, ranked World No 60, defeated Japan Open champions Bao Yixin-Zhong Qianxin of China 19-21, 21-19, 21-18 in 65 minutes to earn a deserving victory in their fifth tournament as a pair.

Yixin-Qianxin were the favourites after their exploits in Japan last week but Vivian, 21, and Khe Wei, 22, showed grit and determination to turn the match around after losing the first game 19-21 and trailing 10-15 in the second.

Vivian-Khe Wei fought back to win 21-19 and took a healthy 13-8 lead in the decider before the China pair scored seven points on the trot to lead 15-13 but the Malaysians battled back to secure a 21-18 win.

National women's doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said Vivian-Khe Wei have shown their pedigree but still have a long way to go before they can stake a claim as a world class pair.

"I am very proud of them. It is a fantastic achievement as they are still young and have a bright future," said Rexy in an e-mail from Indonesia yesterday.

"They have some resemblance to Wong Pei Tty and Chin Eei Hui, who have also worked hard to become what they are now. Khe Wei is very hard-working while Vivian, like Eei Hui, is very skillful.

"Both are fighters and their battling qualities helped them against the China pair today (yesterday).

"They are still not ready to win the Sea Games although they have improved so much. I don't want to talk about winning and put pressure on them. They still have a long way to go."

Vivian-Khe Wei's biggest obstacle will be Indonesia's Meiliana Jauhari-Greysia Polii and since the Malaysians will not be seeded for the Sea Games, they may meet their rivals early and this will not help their cause.

However, the BA of Malaysia (BAM) will have some breathing space as Vivian-Khe Wei have what it takes to replace Pei Tty-Eei Hui who are expected to retire after next year's London Olympics.

Dioinisius Hayom Rumbaka of Indonesia also clinched his first grand prix gold title after beating compatriot Tommy Sugiarto 21-16, 21-17 in 37 minutes to win the singles crown.

Read more: Badminton / Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold: Vivian-Khe Wei do Malaysia proud http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/...n-KheWeidoMalaysiaproud/Article#ixzz1Zj0CCj9X

2. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Monday October 3, 2011
    Khe Wei-Vivian nail Indonesian Open GP Gold title
    By KNG ZHENG GUAN
    PETALING JAYA: It was a case of third time lucky for upcoming women doubles pair Woon Khe Wei and Vivian Hoo at the Indonesian Open GP Gold badminton tournament at East Kalimantan yesterday.
    The duo clinched the title in their first ever final appearance after failing to get past the semi-finals of the Thailand and Taiwan Open earlier this year.
    The young pair defeated China’s Bao Yixin-Zhong Qianxin 19-21, 21-19, 21-18.
    [​IMG] Hungry pair: Woon Khe Wei (left) and Vivian Hoo made the most of their first ever final appearance.
    It was an amazing feat considering the fact that the more experienced Chinese pair came into the tournament fresh from winning the Japan Open last month.
    The first game was a close affair as both pairs failed to gain any headway but it was the Chinese, with their vast experience, who wrapped up the first game at 21-19.
    However, Khe Wei-Vivian showed that they were no pushovers when they fought back to win with an identical 21-19 scoreline.
    In the deciding game, Khe Wei-Vivian tightened up their game to coolly romp home 21-18 and celebrate their breakthrough in women’s doubles.
    “I’m really happy to win our first title as it is also the first time that we have beaten players from China,” said Khe Wei.
    “We have been training hard lately and part of our improvement as a pair is due to the fact that our defence is getting better.
    “Opponents are finding it harder to finish us off and mentally we have also toughened up and we no longer panic while trailing.
    “Hopefully, we’ll be able to maintain our performance and make a push for the London Olympics next year,” said Khe Wei.
    The pair are currently ranked 60th in the world. Their good performance is also a boost for Malaysia’s gold medal hopes at the Jakarta SEA Games next month.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/10/3/sports/9619882.asp&sec=sports

3. eaglehelang

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I am impressed with Rexy. Where is KKK? ;) lol.

5. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    CHN is still the team to beat especially in WD department....
    WKW/VHKM did a good job to dethrone them in this INA GP Gold
    for CHN, this is only a small hiccup for them....they will study and
    analyse our girl's strength and weaknesses and before we even woke up
    from this celebration, CHN is already ready to counter back...
    lets hope WKW/VHKM can be ready for that...

6. victory

victory Regular Member

WKW/Vivian success has nothing to do with Rexy. He is too new to guide this pair. In fact someone pointed out earlier may be Rexy hasn't started coaching MAS WD.

Even if Rexy started coaching WKW/Vivian, he can not claim credit for he is just there for less than a month.

7. victory

victory Regular Member

No doubt China is strongest team at the moment and they have a very strong tradition in WD.

But MAS players have to step in the court thinking we are here to win. Mental is very important. How we think is crucial to our success. WKW/Vivian has this quality.

Most importantly KW/Vivian and their coaches must keep improving and keep watching their opponents as well. Well, if the Chinese can analyze our team, we can keep a close watch on them as well. Sport is all about competition. To keep winning , we must not afraid of competition. In fact, we should welcome them.

8. PrimeShuttler

PrimeShuttler Regular Member

Health Dept
    Woon Khe Wei- Vivian Hoo

Having watched the Indo Open GP Gold WD final match partially, I have formed some opinions.
    Firstly, I am very impressed with Vivian Hoo. She smashes hard and steep. I think she has the better match temperament in the pair. However, Woon Khe Wei is clearly better at the net, probably because she also plays mix-doubles for the last few years which has helped her to develop this ability. Any half-chances that comes her way, she kills it. At times she makes the Chinese front court player, Bao Yixin, look ordinary.
    Nonetheless, I do worry about Woon Khe Wei's footwork. I think this is something that can be improved upon. She was also more prone to errors than Vivian Hoo.
    This pair definitely have some raw talent. However, let's hope that Rexy will come along and fine-tune this pair to challenge the Chinese supremacy in women's doubles.
    Malaysia Boleh! :)

9. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

To add on to your views, I would love to see pair to be more versatile with WKW switching sometimes to the back and Vivian occasionally attacking the net..right now, they are a bit too predictable with their tactics. WKW needs to work on her physical strength and Vivian to work on her soft play and her drives.
    As the CHN coaches will definitely be monitoring this upcoming pair from now onwards..no more surprise factor in the future. The girls certainly have to have a few aces up their sleeve

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I believe Rexy can claim it. As long as you have those ability to fine tune your players. ;)

All you need is a few good players who 'can listen' well and follow instructions. ;) This can up your level by 10-20%. You've done coaching? ;)

During KKK win in AE days, it was not long as well. For my standard. So this should not be counted? How long do you think it takes then?;)

It's the enthusiasm of the players and the quality of the coach who know what it takes to win. ;)

11. PrimeShuttler

Health Dept
    I don't want to make it sound as though I am a pessimist. However, I'm not sure how well the players can change their roles. The examples I will quote are all in men's doubles. I can't quote the women's doubles examples because I am not as familiar with them.
    In every top men's pair, there is clearly an established front court player and back court player.
    The front court players are: Cai Yun, Lee Yong Dae, KKK, Hendra Setiawan.
    Their respective partners are usually the power hitters from the back of the court: Fu HaiFeng, Jung Jae-Sung, TBH and Markis Kido.
    Even after so many years, FHF still cannot play well if he is occupying the front court. Same with TBH, Markis and JJS. They have gotten better with time, but they are still a bit suspect at times.
    Hence, I am not sure how well Khe Wei and Vivian can be trained to swap their roles.
    It would be ideal if both are versatile and can play front or back. Maybe this will be Rexy's challenge hor? :D

12. victory

victory Regular Member

No I have not done coaching but I have had a coach and I see others being coached. First thing first. Can anyone confirm Rexy started coaching WD? For how long? We have to get this established. Other wise this is discussion base on speculation.

If he indeed started coaching our WD. Based on news announcement untill last week, it is less then a month. No no no! To me that is taking away credit from their existing coach.

Rexy is a big name and he is a good coach but credit must not be taken away from our local coach that has been working with the WD for years. Make no mistake. WKW/Vivian have been together for about 6 months and they made appearance in last 8 and last 4 in at least 3 tournaments. They were already making progresses and breakthroughs. Besides, who has the eye to spot them and put them together at the first place? It is not Rexy.

During AE days, kkk teamed up with TBH and Rexy not too long but certainly not LESS THAN A MONTH. In addition, for kkk/TBH case, at least Rexy were there together with Yap Kim Hock to spot their talent / compatibility and put them together. But in KW/VIvian case it was our local coach that nurtured them.

I say Rexy can claim credit if he can help WKW/Vivian to achieve consistent success in future but not this one.

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Pang make them semi-finalist... rexy make them a champion
    The level at the

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of NST

For your reading pleasure :

Badminton: Vivian, Khe Wei offer hope for BAM 2011/10/04
    K.M. Boopathy
    boopathy@nst.com.my
    Share|

MALAYSIA have run dry of talent, especially in the national women's squad, but the emergence of Vivian Hoo-Woon Khe Wei offers some hope for the future after the retirement of Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui. Vivian and Khe Wei are not newcomers and have been in the national senior team for four years but the lack of emphasis on their development by the BA of Malaysia (BAM) may have delayed their arrival on the international stage.

The fact that BAM has been changing women's doubles coaches regularly has not helped matters but Pang Cheh Chang's tenure as the coach for the third year has provided some impact.

Vivian-Khe Wei had been tried out a couple of years ago without much success but Cheh Chang kept faith in them and the results are starting to show.

Vivian, 21, and Khe Wei, 22, have the right attributes to make a strong impact but much will depend on how current women's doubles head coach Rexy Mainaky moulds them.

Both players have battling qualities and play without fear and have the ideal build to match China's pairs, although they are still way behind the top 10 combinations.

Vivian is skilful while Khe Wei is solid in defence and neither has fitness or injury worries which have dogged Eei Hui throughout her career.

China's Cheng Shu-Pan Pan are an experienced combination while Bao Yixin-Zhong Qianxin are one of China's rising pairs, so beating both pairs to win the Indonesia Open underlines Vivian-Khe Wei's ability and talent.

It cannot be seen as a flash in the pan as Vivian-Khe Wei have other results to justify their potential. They have also reached the semi-finals of two other grand prix events -- the Taiwan Open and Thailand Open -- this year.

In fact, they only started playing as a pair in June and made the semi-finals of the Thailand Open and winning their first grand prix gold title in just four months says much about their character.

Read more: Badminton: Vivian, Khe Wei offer hope for BAM http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/iijowjkl2/Article#ixzz1ZsJsJ0t0

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

Khe Wei-Vivian a breath of fresh air for Malaysian badminton

Success in the women’s doubles is hard to come by for Malaysia. With giants China dominating the event, it is really difficult for the rest of the world to win even a title.
    So when Malaysia finally landed a women’s doubles title last Sunday, it really came as a huge surprise. Woon Khe Wei and Vivian Hoo were thought to be one of the pairs making up the numbers at the Indonesian Open GP Gold in East Kalimantan.
    The Malaysians made people sit up when they toppled Cheng Shu-Pan Pan 21-15, 18-21, 21-18 in a titanic quarter-final tussle. Then came Thailand’s Sujitra Ekmongkolpaisarn-Punyada Munkit­chokecharoen in the semi-finals. Again, Khe Wei and Vivian raised their game a notch. They easily won 21-12, 21-13 in just 23 minutes. It was their first-ever final in an international tournament. Previously, their best-ever results were semi-final appearances at the Thailand and Taiwan Opens.
    Bao Yixin and Zhong Qianxin of China were up next in the final. Not a top-ranked Chinese pair yet, the duo arrived in East Kalimantan as winners of the Japan Open a week earlier.
    The odds were stacked against Khe Wei and Vivian. But Khe Wei and Vivian refused to be cowed by the Chinese reputation. They lost the first game 19-21. In the next game, the Malaysians surprisingly turned the tables on the Chinese with a 21-19 win.
    In the decider, the Malaysians showed great tenacity and fighting spirit to claw back from 10-13 down to lead 20-18. A beautiful net winner by Khe Wei saw the Malaysians take the match and their first-ever title.
    It was just reward for the hard-working pair. And it was Malaysia’s first title since Chin Eei Hui and Wong Pei Tty’s triumph at the 2009 Super Series Masters Finals.
    Age is catching up with the former world number one. Both are expected to call it quits after next year’s London Olympics. The emergence of Khe Wei and Vivian is like a breath of fresh air for Malaysian badminton. At least, there is now hope of a capable pair taking over from Eei Hui and Pei Tty.
    It has not been a good month for Malaysia with world number one Lee Chong Wei losing to Chen Long in the men’s singles final at the Japan Open. It may just be a minor title, but Khe Wei and Vivian have brought some cheer to the Malaysian camp.
    But there is a word of caution from national women’s doubles coach Rexy Mainaky.
    “I don’t want the success of winning a title to get to their heads. They must not lose their focus and discipline. Khe Wei and Vivian need to maintain their consistency and carry on with a good training attitude and discipline if they are to become a top pair in the future,” said Rexy.
    He believes Khe Wei-Vivian can still improve and wants them to keep their feet firmly on the ground.
    “It’s a good win for Khe Wei-Vivian and it’s a promising performance but there is still room for them to improve,” said Rexy.
    For Khe Wei and Vivian, there is the SEA Games next month. And they will be back in Indonesia for more glory.
    So let’s keep going Khe Wei and Vivian, Malaysia is watching and cheering for you.

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Too much praise to them i am afraid they will be another KKK/TBH's.

17. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    hmmm..............

Attached Files:

18. PrimeShuttler

Health Dept
    I think it is a bit of a double-edged sword here.
    On the one hand, they have to be given some credit for winning a title, even if it is a minor one. In the process they managed to defeat 1 established Chinese pair, and another up and coming pair. You have to start somewhere, and they have taken some steps here. Not everyone can just anyhow go win Asian Games gold medal and All-England in their first few major tournaments ala KKK/TBH.
    But as mentioned by Rexy, they need to continue to work hard, maintain discipline, and carry on with a good attitude.
    It is also heartwarming to see interest in their development as demonstrated by the media. However, at the same time, it is also somewhat sad that Malaysia has been so starved of success in women's badminton that even a small title like this generates so much interest and hope.
    Is this going to pile additional pressure on Khe Wei and Vivian? Is this just a false dawn and we have gotten our hopes up prematurely? Even Wong Pei Ty and Chin Ee Hui took many years before establishing themselves on the world stage. Only time will tell what fate awaits this young pair of Khe Wei and Vivian.
    I just hope that they continue to be professional, respect their coach, work hard and continue to develop/improve further. Too often our athletes just don't quite make it. Malaysia needs some success badly.
    Don't know how come we can have a Nicol David dominating Women's squash like nobody's business but despite so much more money pumped into badminton that we can't produce world-class women badminton players.
    Anyway, end of my few cents worth. :eek:

19. victory

victory Regular Member

Your concern is relevant. Encouragement is good but instil strong discipline is also need. Hopefully their coaches can help them establish ambitious long term goal. They must not feel contented with small success. After all, this is still not Super series open. On top of that, if they are world class materials , they must aim all the big matches such as World championship and Asian game title. These kind of ambitious goals will drive them.

I share your concern. I am not too comfortable seeing WKW rub shoulder with KKK/TBH as well.

Please don't say I am jealous.:D I just don't want WKW to get some attitudes from the flamboyant KKK. I certainly don't want KKK to influence WKW to do tattoo.....spoil everything.:eek:

20. victory

victory Regular Member

Media coverage on WKW/Vivian success is necessary. Weather or not Malaysia have not produce WD champion for a long time and it is a small title is irrelevant. The media is doing their job. This is also a right recognition of their efforts and success.

It is WKW/Vivian's job to keep focus and not let this success get into their head.

Yes I agree they must continue to be professional, respect their coaches, work hard and keep improving.

As a player, what other people says, including whatever media reporting is beyond their control.

But they can control their trainings, their attitudes, their focus on court and how they think.