wet behind the ears wanting to get better and learn more

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by azabaz_ipoh, Nov 5, 2006.

1. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    my bad.......:(
    i pay attention on lips...... :eek:
    bad drifit.... bad drifit...:mad:

2. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    and i thought the cute picture for my profile was good enough....*sighs* :D

3. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Did you just put it up? I don't remember seeing it. It looks so cute. That will definitely beat AJ and win over all hearts :p:D

#103 Birdwood, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  4. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    chris, i think that is because i always believe that philosophy transcends boundaries. there is basic truth about how human beings are in all philosophy. we are all really alike in our most basic emotions. :)

5. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    birdwood, that picture have been there for quite sometime. just that nobody cared to look before all this mystery revealing, name guessing fiasco. hahahahah :D

6. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

On the second thought, was that cute baby picture really yours, not AJ's since you had asked to do just that before :confused: Where's our ABCD :cool:

7. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

You meant that bad drift blowed Leen's breeze away :rolleyes:

Very possible, maybe we can request a hurricane strength one from her next time, especially if it needs to cross the ocean, so no one will ever miss it :D

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i am just 200km away from her...... no need hurricane:p:p:p
    this thread is so active now.... chit chatting.....:D

9. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    maybe should send my kisses via pos laju (malaysia's own express courier which literally translates into "fast post") :D :D :D

i dont mind. chit chat keep the lethargic feelling over mundane day to day routine away. chitty chitty bang bang away!!!!! :)

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The make up of where most the BC members are from should explain it..

...i believe the make up of where most of the BC members are from should explain that English is indeed a major language in M'sia (or at least in that part of Asia, along w/ S'pore and Philippines). Bear in mind, M'sia used to be a colony of England/British, so the language should be atop of their influence. Aside to what azabaz_ipoh (Leen) wrote as her influences, i would assume she probably received some formal English-language education thus it shouldn't surprise many of us that she's English writing-savvy.;) :cool:..

#110 ctjcad, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Birdwood, Azabar is Malay lah. Her name is malay name.

As to the term, "English-educated", some go to Chinese medium school, where the medium of instruction is all in Mandarin.

All subjects, except language are taught in CHinese. Then in secondary school, government school - language of instruction is in Malay, the national language. Hence the term "Chinese educated". Their English, normally are not so good, unless they learn up after they finish school.
    Nowadays, non-chinese parents also send their children to chinese medium schools, so they know extra language.

Those who are "English educated", go to national schools, where medium of instruction from primary level is in Malay. All subjects are taught in Malay. Recent couple of years, they have some like Maths & Science in English too. Level of English is higher. These ppl, cant read & write in Chinese, even if they are Chinese, but better in English & more western influenced.

The term "English educated " stayed cos in British colonization time, everything was taught in English. So, we didnt change it to "Malay educated".
    Good example is LWW & KKK. KKK said before he cant read & write in Chinese. He went to a school that's good in English ("mubaligh school, they call it, where nuns & priests used to teach in British days).

The main difference is : "Chinese educated" can write & read Chinese, not that good in English, very good in Maths (China system). Values, some follow more China/Taiwan/HK influence, more traditional, listen to Chinese songs.
    Very good example is TBH - he doesnt understand questions posed in English, only Malay & Chinese.

This is more pronounced in those who also go to private Chinese medium schools at secondary level (high school)- all subjects taught in Chinese. They normally further college studies in Taiwan/Spore.

"English educated" good in English & Malay, cannot read & write in Chinese.
    watch more English language shows, think more like Westerner - they listen English songs. All this due to education system

THere's also Tamil medium schools, everything taught in Tamil.

And I give credit to Azabar, not many Msians nowadays, whichever race, can write well in English anymore- standard has dropped. They can speak but writing skill, kaput.

Got understanding??? (Msian broken Eng) If not, Aza, tolong cakap lagi sekali dlm British punya English, he he

#111 eaglehelang, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  12. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    during the times of my parents, i believe yes, everybody who went to school usually can speak good english and write good english. nowadays, at least in malaysia, schools in the cities and in big towns can have students that are proficient in english. this is because they use it outside of schools too, in day to day life. and american music and american movies are the staple of these teenagers's language diet. but those from smaller towns, rural villages, tamil schools, chinese schools and religious based schools have students that study english but they are not very proficient. this is because they never use it outside of school and in fact sometimes they don't even use it much IN school. only recently the government made it compulsory for students to learn maths and science in english because when the students further their studies in university, all revision books and research journals are in english. failure to master the language during early years in school made it harder for these students to master the course that they have chosen in university. but at the same time, if all subjects was taught in english, then where does the official language of malaysia stand. so only maths and science are taught in english while the rest is in bahasa malaysia. and kids nowadays are not really into books. except maybe harry potter. hehehehehe :) :)

but all in all, almost everybody knows basic english like yes, no, thank you, hello, bye-bye. :)

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Yes, and this seems to apply..^^

..to most British/England colonized countries, esp. in Asia (e.g. S'pore, HK & M'sia)...:cool:

14. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I did not know drifit was so close to Leen. I would make a personal visit to Ipoh to receive the honor. Courier service is for business, not for someone who is about to be kissed :eek::p

15. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Many thanks to eaglehelang, ctjcad, and Leen for explaining to me. I used to know someone from Masia. Now I'll need to go through your words and do a little research to fully understand. Maybe ask around to see anyone badminton player here knows all the differences. But it's safe to say that the gaps among different schools or among different countries as a mater of fact, are narrowing in the age of internet and globalization :rolleyes:

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Advice required: I will be visiting Malaysia

If you're thinking of visiting Malaysia, I am glad that you are a member of Badminton Central Forum here.

All you've got to do... is to start a thread "Advice required: I will be visiting Malaysia" :D:D:D

17. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Sorry confusing you, "here" I was talking about my local baddy club. But I may need different advice though. I'm not thinking of visiting Masia, rather my retirement in the hills of Ipoh (in my dream for now) :)

18. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    then the hills of ipoh will welcome you when the time comes...:)

19. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    err....
    so far, only dhl do this
    dhl, we deliver anything..........:D

20. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

"Grandfathered" into something is an English expression at least in US. It means that if you have some prior price or privilege advantage in an organization or something, it can be maintained. For example, if you joined a country club for $50/month, two years later the club was sold to a new owner, who decided to raise the fee to $150/month. Since you were already in the club with a contract, the new owner would honor the old contract and continue to charge you the low membership fee until the date you drop out, while at the same time charging others who join late a higher fee. It's like an old clock left by your grandpa passes through your hands, what you are going to do with it. You don't want to throw it away since it may hurt your Mon's feeling or your feeling. So keep it somewhere and be done with.

Some of the usernames in BC has less than current 5 characters' requirement. We thought those BCers joined early when there was no such restriction. After the rules came out, their usernames could not be changed so they are still in use. Their uses were "grandfathered".

There's no humor here, just a choice of expression.

How's your baddy lately, any improvement since you got new shoes and racket(?). Are you downloading any videos to watch? I never saw you in that sub-forum :confused: