Match Analysis App

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Thompson, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    I am thinking of ways to help people improve their game, mainly by knowing where to put their focus when training.
    For example; Sometimes I see people training on their smash when they already have a really strong smash. When they play a match I see them fail on their service or netkill a lot, and I think to myself; Why do they not train those strokes some more? Maybe it is because they don't know for themselves what to train and/or how to train it.

Because badminton is such a fast sport it is hard to really analyse every stroke in a game, but I think with modern technology is should be possible.

Here is what I was thinking about;

You have a top view of the court on your tablet, like so;

[​IMG]

At first you set some simple data. For example; Is the player left/right handed and is his opponent left/right handed.

1) Tap on the screen to set position of player.

2) Tap on defence or attack button.

3) Tap on type of stroke. You can get different options according to the data entered before.

Example; You have selected a right handed player playing a defensive shot from his backhand. You are presented with the following options; a backhand straight clear, backhand cross clear, overhead straight clear or overhead cross clear.

Example 2; You have selected a left handed player playing an attacking shot from his forehand. You are presented with the following options; a straight smash, cross smash, straight drop, cross drop, straight drive, cross drive.

4) Tap on effective or ineffective.

Ofcourse it will take some time and practice before you are fast enough to keep following the match and inserting data. But I think something like this should be possible. Afterwards you can let the program do some calculations and you can find that the player's backhand cross defence is always failing, or their forehand crossdrop is really scoring them good point.

I would love to hear your opinions on this matter and your suggestions on what should be in the app to really make it work. For now I think the focus should be on singles player, because with mixed/doubles it makes it even harder to keep up and there is also a lot of important matters (position play, front/back court exchanging) that is hard to put on a list.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

much too much hard work for users - think of how many clicks are involved per match.

It would be more usable (but still not really viable imo) if you reduced the amount of information saved, e.g. just select two points for where player contacted shuttle and where the destination was. Also select effective/ineffective. This still needs three clicks per shot played which is not something I'd be interested in doing - I'd still need to frequently pause.

What your app does is not 'modern technology', it is statistics on manual data input using a pretty front end. All your app provides is the statistics that will be really basic - % effective and variance/standard deviation. For an app, I don't think this has much value considering you will need to be next to another tablet/desktop/phone to be watching the source video.

A modern technology solution is to use image processing to automatically build up your database.

Sorry to be blunt and negative.

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Not sure if "image processing" would do that. I thought it has more to do with recovery an image in a "noisy" background. For what you described above, that's, analysis, we may need A.I.

4. rodondo4

rodondo4 Regular Member

Took me a while to look for this forum discussion.

I have a son starting to plays tournaments and realised I needed an app or tool for me to record his games data as I have used this in football and seen it used in rugby at amateur level.

I managed to find one developed and sold by Manchester University via the Apple Store, this was developed in 2012. If you youtube Badminton Analysis App you can see an example of this app in action.

Unfortunately it has now disappeared from the Apple Store, I was wondering if anyone would know a similar type of app that can be used on the iPad?

Thanks