Your most favourite jump-smasher

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by bchaiyow, May 26, 2006.

1. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Well if i had the hang time and power of yap kim hock then i will not be thinking too much of the bird comming back!!!hehehehehe

2. Nievk8701

Nievk8701 Regular Member

Trader

but bear in mind, the higher u jump n being able to hit the shuttle from the highest point possible means u'll hv sharper smash so the shuttle will hit the ground sooner n this will gv the opponent a hard time to retrieve. apart frm that when u do jumpin smash the weight of ur body being pull by the force of gravity also contribute power to ur smash. last but not least, by jumpin up high u'll also hit the return shuttle frm ur opponent in shortest time possible, n return the shuttle bac to them in the shortest time, meanin giving them less time to get bac in position or preparin for another shot. its a great advantage.

or else all international player wouldn't do jumpin smash, they will keep their feet firm on the court n wait for the shuttle to drop within their reachable range before they smash.

jz my 2cent, please correct me if im wrong.

3. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Past

yess.. jump smash do produce more power & sharper angle but its consume a lot more energy than normal smash.

I remember during the 1996 to 2002 period, MS started to use the short serve regularly... and once the shuttle being lifted high up to the back. The player would jump to the highest point and smash powerfully. exp H.Arbi, Peter Gade (old one), taufik (old one) & etc.

Its a good way to play when 50% of the time the opponent can retrive your shots but nowadyas players has improve their defense a lot thus it almost impossible to kill with one shot. Of coz most star player can take the 2nd shot after JUMP SMASH but its very engery consuming as you has to dash at full speed to the next spot.

Human can only run 100m in full speeds not 10000m... so how long can you sustain those kinda speed.

Now, Ms is more on rally and finding open spaces... We are more likely to see REally High jumping smash in doubles nowadays.. where yo double players can cover the space u left behind...

The beauty of badminton, its not a all power game... u see tony&candra seldom JUMP to full height to smash.. Just a little to make use of body mass & gravity.!

Just to let ya know, I am an avid fans of Heryanto Arbi but I doubt his style still work today.

Cheers...

#143 s1nn3r, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    back to the 90s.have u seen how jalanu sidek did his smash?its...how can i explain.its amazing!!i dont have the pictures but if only u can see him in action.Hj.sidek have detected this since he is a kid.now,he is a legend for malaysia.for the recent players,i choose 2003 hafiz hashim.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..well, in essence, doubles game, esp. MD, is all about power and speed..And yes, jumpsmashing can drain a person's energy..
    Btw, speaking of "making use of body mass & gravity", have you or anyone else seen this pic of Tony from *last year's* Japan Open tourney??..hehe:rolleyes::p:D;)

[​IMG]

#145 ctjcad, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  6. Nievk8701

Nievk8701 Regular Member

Trader
    tot we were talkin bout YKH in the begining, now u change topic to MS pulak..hahaha

agree v u tat nowadyas players has improve their defense a lot, but definitely not agree tat it is impossible to kill v one shot(pls watch the nex tournament). u'll nvr c a defensive player shine in the badminton scene. yes player's defense has improve , the same goes to their attack.

no doubt jumpin smash required a lot of energy, but it also give u more chances to kill ur opponent's shot. every player also trainin hard to improve thier stamina n power, if u don hv the energy to play a powerful game til the end, it was u who didn't train hard enough.

badminton is an aggresive game.or else why being able to set the game or place the shuttle close to the net is so crucial?? tat is bcoz we mus force our opponent to lift the shuttle for us to kill. player will choose to play drive instead of lift the shuttle up high if they cant place it on the net bcoz they know the chances of being attack n kill is higher compare to if they keep the shuttle low.

hahaha...wondering if u only play drop shot n lop to d base durin a game. end of the day mayb u manage to save ur energy n walk steadily, but u've lost ur game wats the point? unless u r vry sure of ur opponent strength n u know u r a class above or else y save energy when u don even know whether or not u can proceed to the nex round??

s1nn3r no offence ya, jz frm my point of view, evryone has diff style of play if defensive play suits ur more jz go ahead. hehe

**Jumpin smash reli rocks, n tats wat make badminton match so lively to watch. go TBH, go FHF and forever YKH.

7. Nievk8701

Nievk8701 Regular Member

Trader
    ctjcad, i tot they are taufix and sony..hahaha

tony look dark in that pic..

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sony???..

...with that muscular tummy of his??:confused::rolleyes::eek:....naaaaahh..:p:D;)...That's Tony & Taufik..;)

9. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Arby's play would be too one dimentional for todays game, and unless u have other skills like wonderful shotmaking like gade and lindan to compliment the leaping power-smash, one cant go really far. BUt the point of the discussion is really not how useful the leaping smash is or how it should be employed, but how beautiful and exciting it is.

But by the way i am a defensive player, when up against an aggrasive player i just keep sending the shot back with minimal risk and error untill the oponent makes the mistake or get tired or get pissed...which ever comes first. Still the wonder of a full blooded jumping power smash is always nice to see.

10. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    y0

oh!! I forget that we are talking about YKh... hehehe..:D
    Jumping smash is the most attractive of badminton game move...

I used to smash smash & smash only when playing in tournaments...
    But found out that usually average players smash arent as effective, now in tournament i usually drop & lop to open up opponents.
    It's totally a different kinda game for the international... for average player is almost commit suicide to play like them.

11. scminton

scminton Regular Member

cafe manager
    He is Jung jae sung!(in the picture who jumping man) Jung jae jung is best!!:D

12. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Just wow wow and wow . HE'S THE MAN.I've never heard his name but the jumping is amazing.

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

oh my god, that's....1 metre high

14. Marc E

Marc E Regular Member

IT (whatever IT is...)
    Xia Xuanze
    Fu Haifeng
    Donna Kellogg.

Xuanze is my favourite, he'd play a net shot and then 2 steps/jumps/movements later he'd be 3 feet off the ground at the back of the court firing the shuttle down at a ridiculous angle. With style.

Allowing for equipment then Park Joo Bong, Liem Swie King and Zhao Jianhua all pushed the boundaries.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Cai Yun did taste Fu's mis hits many times before.

16. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

donna kellogg? does she jump smash? goodness, are you fantasizing about her?

17. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    last sunday my partner hit me on the side of my face while smashing... ouch! painful...

fav jump smasher, Chong Wei, Tan Boon Heong, Lin Dan and of coz, Fu Haifeng! that man is incredible.. 300++ kph with a Ti-10... woah...

18. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    woah..

nice pic... BTW when was the pic below taken, and who was partnering Fu Haifeng in each pic? this was posted earlier in this thread...

thanks!

Attached Files:

19. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    FHF play mix

and i know why cy is not his partner in the one above - he used to be a singles player

20. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Yes she does, sometimes.