ways to improving speed, strength and footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JukUx, Jun 5, 2012.

1. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

MSeeley

Dam, I think I usually take 2 steps to get back to base and sometimes more. I guess there's something wrong there already .
    I don't believe all my steps are effective. I should film myself playing singles first as I have no game tapes of that. This way I would be able to analyse more effectively. In the example you gave, after I net lunge, I do lead back to base with my racket foot and then I take a tiny step to square up and I split step. Not sure if I am doing that right.
    A lot of times I don't move right already, I notice I am recovering from my shot and by the time the next shot is coming, I am already running for it. Rather than, recovery to base then moving to the next shot. In this case, is my footwork slow and ineffective?
    lol yes I've been doing that Rasmussen drill that you showed me from long time ago. I do it for around 15-30 mins going slow at first then going as fast as possible.

2. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Question for you guys,

I know there are different types of steps (footwork movements) such as shuffle, chasse, running steps etc.. My question is how should I be using all these footwork movements effectively? I am slightly cautious of how I am moving on the court now and thinking well..maybe I shouldn't have use chasse steps because I got there too slow.. etc

Thanks!

oh and I am going to take a video some time with me shadowing and doing some smash swings so you can guys can correct me and tell me what I am need to fix

3. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    If you know the terms shuffle, chasse, running steps, etc you already knows all the basics (plus more).
    When to apply them depends of how much time you have and how much distance you need to cover. In general, your return clear/lift/drop determine how you recover. You don't want to recover too fast or too slow. You want the last step to be your split step for the next shot. There is also a skip step which we use our non-racket foot twice to bridge the gap right before the last step with our racket foot; if you don't do that, you will need 2 extra steps instead of one hop.

Both of us have the same problem with our footwork... and we both already know the answer... it the recovering steps. At the beginning of the rally, we recovers well, and able to "handle" the next shot. A few exchange later, when we either did not clear deep enough, or not lift well enough, all sort of timing issues started to show, then it is all up hill fight.
    And then there are players either with good speed and deceptions, they will throw us off our recover steps timing. Once we are half a step/beat behind, it is show time for our opponents.

At the next level, advance level - which I am not, players can abort their recover step early and drops lower start the split step at "off-base" position, and use their powerful legs to approach the shot (defensive clear or lift).

#23 captaincook, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  4. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Thanks for the info! Will take that in mind. I do agree with you, I think its the recovery steps and the lack of singles games that I get to play. Its true that the first few rallies I am doing everything correctly, but after a while I go retarded and start tensing up as I can reach certain shuttles and I keep running/scrambling for them.

I think I need to learn how to set my base around the court, instead of always going back to the middle every single time. Example, when I play a net shot, I should stay a bit closer to the net and cover yet. I need to believe and relax myself so I am to cover the back corners still.