Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

this is specially for chris:D..

[video=youtube;mWW-fXaScWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWW-fXaScWE[/video]

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Saina Nehwal's training and diet schedule

Thanks george. :):):)

Now, let's look at Saina Nehwal's training and diet schedule.

5:00 am - Day begins with some meditation.

7:30 -11:30 am - A light breakfast of bread, eggs and milk, followed by morning training. This includes playing at the courts with coach Pullela Gopichand, and running (sprints, cross-training and long runs). Saina also does interval training that includes 30 seconds of sprint followed by another 30 seconds of jogging. She does drills that improve reflexes, footwork, accuracy and agility.

1:30 pm - Lunch usually consists of chicken, daal, chapatis and lots of veggies. After lunch, a little rest.

3:30 pm - 7:30 pm - Time to hit the gym for weight training and agility training to aid quicker movement.

8:00 pm - Dinner is quite similar to lunch. And then, early to bed.

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Ready-set-gold/Article1-601401.aspx

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 Commonwealth Games Badminton: Saina Nehwal won GOLD in Womens Singles Individual

Congratulations to Saina Nehwal for winning the GOLD medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games Womens Singles Individual Badminton event. :):):)

4. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    My grandmother wanted a boy: Saina Nehwal

Breaking the traditions of keeping quite over social issues, Saina took the bull by its horns. She has spoken against the skewed *** ratio in her home state and the discrimination a girl/woman has to face even in modern Indian society.

Report from Times of India -

NEW DELHI: She is one of the most sought after female sporting stars in India but when Saina Nehwal was born in patriarchal Haryana, her own grandmother refused to look at her because of the inherent discrimination against the girl child in the state.
    "I was really surprised when I was told that my grandmother did not come to see me till a month after my birth. I was born seven years after my only sister Chandranshu and my birth was a big disappointment for her," the ace shuttler, fresh from a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games, wrote in a column.
    "But in it there is a message that I understand very well now about the discrimination against the girl child," she said.
    Saina still counts her blessings for having parents who were liberal enough to allow her pursue sports.
    "My mother Usha Rani had represented Haryana in badminton and she was consistent in her encouragement. That helped me build my career successfully and at just 14, I had a sponsor in Bharat Petroleum and Deccan Chronicle now. We live in an apartment bought with my prize money and my parents have taken care that it is in my name," she revealed.
    "Many Haryanvi sportspersons, particularly women, are not half as lucky. They do not have generous sponsors even after doing exceedingly well," she rued.
    But she lauded the Haryana government's efforts to recognise international performers.
    "The Haryana Government has in the last two years offered several incentives - the highest prize money for medal winners at the Commonwealth Games and a car too. No state has matched this so far. This is a welcome sign for sportswomen as it gives them new recognition," she said.
    Haryana, which has a skewed *** ratio of 847 women to every 1000 men, is notorious for female infanticide and honour killings.
    Saina said given the scenario, it was incredible to have Haryana women doing well in the sporting arena.
    "Men are domineering in rural Haryana and that shows in sport too. That Haryanvi women are in the spotlight for their excellent performance and have brought many medals to the state should make a difference," she said.
    The 20-year-old revealed that her ties with her relatives have strained on the issue of how the women in the family should be treated.
    "My uncles and other relatives are against encouraging girls in every aspect and that includes sports. I hardly interact with them. My parents are more open. They back me all the way," she said.

Read more: My grandmother wanted a boy: Saina Nehwal - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Nehwal/articleshow/6787260.cms#ixzz135NRe000

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Discrimination sucks. Good one for Saina. ;)

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This feature in 2 parts covers the journey to Gold by some of the women athletes from India in the recently concluded Commonwealth Games. It is worth watching and hearing, and an eye-opener to what a human being can achieve in the face of incredible odds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56xhE-nO-Uc
    [video=youtube;56xhE-nO-Uc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56xhE-nO-Uc[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3TDvTrdTs
    [video=youtube;hr3TDvTrdTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3TDvTrdTs[/video]

7. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Thanks cobalt for this. This was shown in all major TV channels in India and to be honest a great viewing. Must encourage any athlete to do well....

8. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Soaring "Brand Saina" gets Rs 1 crore per ad deal

Report by The Times Of India (28-Oct-2010)

HYDERABAD: On October 15, reporting Saina Nehwal's thrilling victory in the Commonwealth Games women's singles final, TOI said she was now probably India's best loved sportsperson after Sachin Tendulkar. Corporate India seems to agree. India's badminton sensation, riding high after three consecutive tournanment wins, apart from the CWG triumph, is now being signed up by major brands for an annual fee which is touching the Rs 1 crore mark:eek:.
    To put that in perspective, Saina now commands a fee that was earlier the preserve of only cricket superstars like Virender Sehwag. Only MS Dhoni and Tendulkar get significantly more than her. Dhoni, apparently, is now offering advertisers the option of paying him by the day, rather than charging an annual fee.
    Interestingly, Sania Mirza, who was once eagerly sought after by advertisers, is now said to get a fee of around Rs 25 lakh. Industry sources say her brand value has been hit by her indifferent form as well as her marriage to Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik.
    Barely a couple of years ago, Saina's brand equity was valued at a mere 10-15 lakh per endorsement and she didn't have any top brands in her kitty.
    From being a brand ambassador of Cancer Society of India and a herbal product, Saina has come a long way to now have on her list companies such as Airtel, Adani Wilmar, Yonex, Jaypee Cements and Star Plus. And the word is that the queue is getting longer by the day, at the head of which is a famous noodle company.
    According to sources close to the shuttler, Saina inked two deals - Adani Wilmar and Airtel - in July, each worth Rs 1 crore. She had earlier signed similar deals with Yonex and a City-based daily. Incidentally, a change in her fortunes came about after she switched from Globosport Management Group to Deccan Chargers Sporting Ventures last year.
    Sources close to the shuttler told TOI on Wednesday that the deal with Jaypee Cements is in the closing stages and that her management firm is in talks with Star Television Group, apparently for a foreword to 20-25 episodes of a serial titled 'Kali Ek Agnipariksha' which is all about a woman shuttler's travails. Saina is likely to be paid Rs 5 lakh per episode.
    Apart from these major signings this year, Saina has received 20 gold coins weighing 10g each from Premium Brands, the official sponsor of Indian badminton team. At the bottom end of her endosements, however, is Aspire which fetches her Rs 2 lakh a year, a deal that runs through 2012.
    Besides, Deccan Chargers Sporting Ventures - who give her a guarantee fee of Rs 1 crore per year and do not take any percentage from the deals they get for her - are likely to hike her guarantee fee
    Read more: Soaring Brand Saina gets Rs 1cr per ad deal - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ad-deal/articleshow/6824811.cms#ixzz13dj5jf7A

For your reference -
    1 crore = 10 million
    1 lakh = 100 thousands
    1 US$ = 45 Indian Rupees (approx)

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Saina Nehwal's stature is growing in sporting horizon

Ready to serve

[​IMG]
    • Saina Nehwal
    • Image Credit: Xpress /Abdel-Krim Kallouche

As one drives into the city of Hyderabad in south India from the airport, you will be greeted with hoardings almost at regular intervals featuring a familiar face: Saina Nehwal. Head tilted up, shuttle in the air, the women's world No 3 badminton player is getting ready to serve.
    It's an advertising campaign for one of that city's biggest media houses — who have chosen Saina as their brand ambassador over any illustrious member of their IPL franchise Deccan Chargers.
    To earn one's place as the most saleable sporting icon in a city which boasts of the likes of a V.V.S. Laxman or Sania Mirza is no mean task — and it gives one a pointer to the growing stature of this 20-year-old in the Indian sporting horizon.
    Little wonder then that there would be others trying to cash in on the ‘Brand Saina.'
    The hottest piece of news in the country's sports endorsement sector over the past week had been her touching the Rs10 million mark for a sponsorship deal when telecom giants Airtel signed her up for that amount. And guess who all she joins in the marquee line-up of Airtel brand ambassadors — Shah Rukh Khan and Sachin Tendulkar.
    The girl next door
    However, broach the subject with Saina and one realises that despite the world changing around her over the last two years rapidly, she remains very much the girl next door.
    "I want to thank Airtel for recognising a badminton player and I am happy to accept the offer. However, it's nothing compared to the cricketers as that is a more popular game in our country," she told Gulf News from Hyderabad.
    It's been more than two years now since she became the first Indian to make the quarterfinals of the Olympics in Beijing — and how life has changed around her. For the average Indian sports fan fed on an overdose of cricket and its overpaid, nose-in-the-air stars, Saina is like a breath of fresh air.
    Her recent exploits on court has everyone — from the Bollywood biggies to the man on the street — wishing her luck whenever she embarks on a new tournament in recent times.
    There's of course a small price to pay for all this — apart from getting mobbed at public places, there is this frighteningly high level of expectations from a country of a billion people whenever she steps on to the court now.
    "Yes, it is wonderful to have achieved so many things in the last two years. People now recognise me at all places and show a lot of love and affection. However, I have little time to go for outings," she confides.
    Saina is, of course, well aware of the fact that her Commonwealth Games gold — coming under an intense pressure situation — is only going to fuel the expectations of an encore at the Asian Games.
    Tougher battle
    As the number two seed, the battle will be much tougher for her this time with the Chinese girls coming back and the event taking place at their backyard in Guang Zhou.
    "I have gone back to my daily schedule under Gopi [Pulella Gopichand] sir: daily six to seven hours in two sessions. Yes, I know the Chinese will be tough at home but I have a good record against them in recent times and will do my best for a podium finish," she said.
    The current year had been like a dream for her so far. Not only has it seen her perched permanently among the top three in the world rankings, official recognition have come in thick and fast with the Rajiv Khel Ratna and the NDTV Sportsperson for the Year while the on-court form had been tremendous. The only place where she hadn't been able to give of her best was the World Championships, and Saina wants to set the record straight there at the next opportunity.
    "This year had been good to me for I had been getting the results for all the hard work I had put in. There is still a lot more to do," comes the matter-of-fact observation.
    As you wish to sign off with best wishes for ‘Mission Guang Zhou,' Saina had a message for the Indian expat population in the Middle East.
    "Please convey my Diwali greetings to all the Indians living in that part of the world."

• Date of birth: March 17, 1990 Place of birth: Hisar, Haryana
    • Height: 1.65m (5 ft 5 in) Weight: 60kg (130 lb)
    • Coach: Pullela Gopichand
    • Women's singles
    • Current Ranking 3 (October 14, 2010)
    Walking the ramp

The fans of Saina Nehwal were in for a pleasant surprise recently when she walked the ramp recently during one of the high profile fashion weeks in India, looking quite resplendent in pink bridal wear. Asked if she would do it again, the badminton ace quickly put her priorities in place.
    "That was just for fun. I am not a regular visitor to the ramp. My aim, for now, is to do well on the badminton court only," she quipped.

Do you think a rise in sponsorship earnings will make her lose focus? Can she repeat her Commonwealth Games performance in the Asian Galmes?

10. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It is not easy to carry the expectations of your country on such young shoulders.
    With regards to the 2010 AG, Saina should take each match as it comes and not pressurize herself with the seedings as she did at the recent XIX CWG where she was almost upset by WMC of Malaysia.
    She deserves all the accolades and sponsorships and she is indeed a breath of fresh air for India.
    :D:D:D:D:D

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

India too can perform well in Badminton

IMHO, for us Badminton enthusiasts, what Saina Nehwal has achieved for India is great.

Saina Nehwal has woken up India; that India too can perform well in Badminton.

Like many other Asian countries, Badminton has been promoted as one of their most suitable and favourite sports for their population.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    More importantly, she has demonstrated the correct work ethic that will bring success.

Too often, the Indian sportspersons are content with No. 1 status within the country, and lack that really sharp competitive edge that can define success on the international stage. Although many will argue that Saina lacks certain skills that are more to be fond in other women players, she more than makes up with her raw courage, stamina, and iron will; in short, the never-say-die competitive spirit.

That is what really sets her apart from most of her Indian badminton-playing peers. Most of the Indian men's team could take a lesson from her in this respect.

The other great achievement is the triumph of her gender in a country where gender equality is still not "there."

13. jazzroll

jazzroll Regular Member

goverment
    saina nehwal.....still yoyo performance..

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal has remained (and still is) in the top 5 spots for quite a long time now

How can we say that (still yoyo performance); when Saina Nehwal has remained (and still is) in the top 5 spots for quite a long time now? :confused::confused::confused:

#414 chris-ccc, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  15. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    Playing and losing in China is not a true measure of a player's ranking, seeding and capability where line calls may be 'dubious' even where you have neutral umpires who cannot over-rule calls which they cannot see clearly.
    The other thing about playing in China is that the Chinese players tend to take a long time to 'settle' in between points and often indicate they are not ready even when a serve has been made and the opponent has to re-serve.
    The true measure would be for competition to take place in a neutral country, say, Japan, where Saina Nehwal plays, say, WYH or WSX.
    So, please don't rush to judgment by saying that SN is yoyo.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina has IMO a few handicaps to begin with.

1. Her height. At only 165 cm, her reach is significantly less than most of the top 25 players on the circuit. Which means she needs to run harder, stretch more, dive more, and as if that were not enough, recover quickly enough to be ready for the next shot.

2. Limited skill set. No offense meant here. But she has time and again displayed a limited skill set on court. Her net play especially, is a very weak area of her game IMO.

3. Probable diet issues. The typical Indian diet can be quite taxing on the system, and encourages a certain heaviness and bulkiness. Not the best thing for a game like badminton, where agility is very important. There is also a good case to be made for more high-altitude training.

But she balances this with her attitude (never-say-die,) and truly incredible stamina. She is focussed, intelligent, and has a very wise and mature head on her young shoulders. And she hates losing! :D

If she really wants to get to the podium at the prestigious events, I think she and the BAI need to consider a change of coach, support team, and rotation of practise venues, with the objective of taking her "to the next level." The reason she has done so well in South-East Asia is that the climatic and other conditions are similar to Hyderabad, her base, in many ways. But take her out of that "comfort zone" and into colder arenas (AE, WC2010 etc) and she has come up short...

No she is no yo-yo. But the BAI need to step back and re-assess the way they have handled her so far, and where they want to go from here. Otherwise, I suspect they will be doing her, and India a disservice. The problem is, it's very easy for them to get carried away with the (limited) successes they have had in the past 2 years or so with her. I would say, to a lesser extent she has got to where she is not because of, but in spite of, BAI.

My 2 cents.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am sure Saina and her father will think over your comment

I am sure Saina and her father will read and think over your comment. I know they read our BadmintonCentral forums :):):)

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well, it would be very interesting to find out if Atik Jauhari as extended his contract with BAI.

19. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Saina is definitely not a yoyo. But perhaps shown lack of skills... and big match mentality. WS is harder than MS, don't think she can even end up with an AE. Her big match mentality is like LCW, can lose to other players whom he/she would have always beaten, but so far LCW outclasses her in skills. But of course I cannot compare WS and MS.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal is World No.2 again

Believe it or not... Saina Nehwal has returned as WS World No.2 again, based on this week's world rankings.

Saina is behind China's Xin Wang with 63211.26 points. Xin has 66152.40 points.

The rise was courtesy of Wang Yihan's fall. Wang, who held onto the number two spot for eight weeks, slipped to the third spot with 62488.91 points.

Tine Baun of Denmark is placed fourth and Chinese Shixian Wang fifth.

Source: http://sify.com/news/saina-climbs-to-second-spot-in-world-rankings-news-national-kl1su7digdh.html

#420 chris-ccc, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.