Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by yan.v, Mar 4, 2012.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yes, thanks for your advice.. I think i will stop badminton for a while now.. Just even getting up from my seat is very pain.. How on earth can i still play badminton:D... I've seen doctor already and he told me it's nothing serious since i can still walk..:rolleyes: I will try and see for a few more days.. If still pain, i will see physio or chiropractor..The reason why i want to look for the back support is for my future use, if i may say, after my recovery:(... Just pray hard though..

2. visor

visor Regular Member

^^How can the doctor say it's nothing serious when you can't play badminton?! :p

Seriously, go see a chiropractor ASAP so that you can go back to playing sooner. And when you're recovered, you should plan on doing some core strengthening exercises to prevent reinjuring your back in the future. Just check on YouTube.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

George, I agree with Old Doc Visor.
    Don't make the mistake of simply lying around until the pain settles; then hope that a brace is going to prevent future injuries. You must work on the problem that made you susceptible to the pain in the first place. That usually means core strengthening.... but be sure to get a professional opinion that there is nothing else wrong, as well.

I used to be sceptical of all Chiropractors and a fan of all Physiotherapists. But both professions have something to offer for back pain. Nowadays I recommend Chiro for treatment of the acute pain episode and physio for the exercises to avoid future occurences.
    The skill of the practitioner matters more than which specialty. So make sure that you have a good recommendation on whomever you plan to see. Good Luck and Take Care! :)

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Thanks guys for the great advice:)

5. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    I take Voltaren(Diclofenac diehylamin) , and mobic pills for muscle and join pain, apply voltaren cream on the pain area, it will be gone in few days. if join dislocate, see chiropractor or martial art master, they'll put in the right place.

6. Mario C socal

Mario C socal Regular Member

I've been playing a lot of sports, this past year: badminton 3-5 times per week, racquetball 2-3 times per week, pickleball once a week and tennis once or twice a week. Recently for a few months I had even been doing the P90X ab workout (Ab Ripper X) three times a week, so I figured my back would be protected. Well, about 4 weeks ago, I was playing racquetball, my first game, feel greet and moving very well, and then all of a sudden I my whole lower back, like the whole sacrum, was in great pain. I had to stop and could barely walk. I was afraid I wasn't even going to be able to make it to my car. (although, I insisted that I take off my court shoes and put on my regular shoes: don't want to use those outside! My oponent thought I was crazy and should just forget about the shoes and not sit down, because I might not be able to get back up.) Anyway, I made it home, made it into the shower, and into bed. For the first three days, I could barely move and just shifting my weight in bed was super painful. Luckily, sitting and bending forward was somehow not painful, and I was able to use the bathroom without assistance (big worry, at first!). After 6 days, I finally went to the doctor and told her I thought I may have gotten a herniated ("slipped") disc. She agreed and said I was probably right and that everything I had been doing was spot on: When it first happened, I iced it for a while; I immediately started taking 800mg of ibuprofen (with food) three times a day; stayed in bed, resting; and after a couple of days, had been using a heading pad throughout the day. She gave me a shot of Toradal (similar to ibuprofen) and a prescription for some muscle relaxer (flexoril) and more ibuprofen. Two weeks later, I was back on the court (total of 3 weeks of not playing).

7. lefeather

lefeather New Member

Student
    I had similar back pains too. But mine were so bad that I couldn't sneeze without feeling the pain shooting through my back and I needed to lean on something to support when I put on or take off my pants. I went to see a physio and he said that i strained my back badly. Another reason would be nerve impingement when the pain worsens when you sit down and get up and take the first few steps then it disappears.

8. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

my lower back pain comes out differently. I got a little sneeze in one peaceful morning then i fainted due to immerse painful feeling on my back, it felt like a bullet came through my lower back. When i woke up, my whole body was sweating like never before. My face was pale as dead. My wife was scared, thinking God had finally come to pick me up. This happened just 3 weeks ago and i have not been playing badminton ever since. For a note, every morning i always sneeze for about 4-8 times (lightly or strongly) and have running nose and it's been going on for 2.5 years which caused my vision to slowly blurred and i have to wear glasses now.

Can someone help my problem with a little diagnoses? For the first 3 days i can only lay down on bed and barely turn my body around. Then on 4th - 7th day i forced myself to walk with help of stick. Now it seems better except i constantly getting this "numb" or "cramp" on my left leg (yes, after i woke up from my faint, my left leg went dead on me for few minutes without any feeling whatsoever). Now when i start trying to run or going up and down the stairs, my left leg will immediately feel numb. When i sneeze, my left leg will respond unconsciously.

I have not seen any doctors because of the feeling of had to get a surgery. I could walk normally now except running or moving at fast rate or jumping. I felt a bit of pain when lifting heavy stuff from the floor. And what's worse is looking at the clock when it is about time for badminton action :( and i MUST skip it until i don't know when. Now i could only re-watch terabytes of my badminton matches collection

Please someone help me with this so i can heal faster.

PS: I'm 28 years old, play only twice a week before the faint incident. I jump smash very regularly, probably the most doing jump smash out of 32 members on court. Weight is 62Kg, height 175cm.

9. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    hv u done xray o mri?i thnk u r facing with slip disc problem at ur backbone just like i did.u will num at ur feet n paindul at ur lower back.doing physiotherapy might help bt its a slow process.taking painkiller will help in short term bt many side effects.i hv taken ponstan n cddlebrex whch are strong painkiller n it wilal also add ur weight n nt good 4 kidney.try to use hotpack n put it on the pain area for about 20 minutes.it will reduce the pain.n the m6st important thng,take good care of ur back bro.

10. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

thank you for the info. btw, without any medical care (x-ray, physiotherapy, etc), would i become better as time goes by? by your estimate, how long shall i rest (not exercising at all) so that my back & feeling of numb on feet, will eventually gone away?

11. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    for me,i have to rest almos 2 years.if u use physio,the will come n go.sumtimes the pain will restrict ur movement a lot.just like sony dwi kuncoro,he rerted almost 1 year due to back injury.bt if u go for operation,then u wilal hv to rert a little bit longe

12. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

oh man! resting for a year or two?? that's basically killing my love for the badminton. I think Sony Dwi Kuncoro got his back pain from excessive bending inward his back during the training/match. Mine only comes from a very simple-elegant sneeze but enough to almost kill me. I thought maybe a month rest without exercise is gonna do the trick.

Yes, now the bit of pain comes only when i move fast, too sudden or jumping, left-leg is numb and cramp become daily routine i have to go through during this month. I was thinking to resume my badminton next week with some intermediate players on the club. But knowing how this could turn out really bad for myself,.. i am now not sure when to resume back to badminton.

But anyway, just to ensure and relief my worry, this "curse" will eventually go away and never come back again, will it? I wouldn't mind resting 12 months as long as i become normal again with 0% chance of its ever occur to me. (without surgery or therapy).

13. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

I used to have the same backache problem after games. Luckily I came across doctor from a chinese medical hall and he recommend me to try a waist tonic supplement to strengthen my back. It really work very well with only 20ml everynight before sleep. Now, I can go for a 3 hours games without worrying of backache after games. Below is the supplement I used. Those that having backache may want to try out some waist supplement and see it work for you. :D

20120730_192221.jpg

14. georgsi_uk1

georgsi_uk1 Regular Member

You have to consult a doctor and get a through check done.. The numbness on the leg (if going below the knee) is usually due to bulged or herniated disc due to its acting on the nerves that goes down to your legs.. I am no doctor but have had recent back problems which made me do a lot of research on the topic..

If your back problem has not been caused due to a sudden injury or trauma, it is mostly likely to have happened over the period of time.. And it is enough to that you just sneeze once and the back muscles can go into a spasm which is to prevent further injuries to your back..

The conservative treatment ofcourse is to build up your core muscles but the immdediate problem needs to be treated first which could be decided based on your symptoms and hence the suggestion to get a good consultant to llo at it..

It is better that you dont indulge in any extreme activities which makes your symptoms worst but at the same it a complete rest is not advised..

15. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

thnx. i hope the medicine are sold everywhere. can't afford to fly to china just to buy this.

16. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    A bit late into this thread but thought I'd contribute. No idea about the specific problem and it should be diagnosed by a professional but wanted to share some useful information I got when I saw a top sports phsyio about my back problems a few years back

Badminton players do a lot of backwards stretching and twisting movements, but often have very underdeveloped core stability around the stomach area. As a result the back is put under pressure where the mid area should be taking some of the load

If you're a badminton player I advise to look at doing (along with the ususal fitness and stretching) some regular and easy core stability exercises such as the following to help prevent back injuries

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/corestabex.htm

17. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

No problem. You can try other waist supplement which available in your country. My worst backache incident got me admitted to hospital in late night. Not able to sleep and sweating a lot in all kind or body position due to back pain. Lucky X-ray show no backbone problem and doctor explain was the back muscle overstretched. The pain was so great that it affected my balancing and all pressure were put on both my legs. Hope you can find some solution soon.

18. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

is there any possibility i can get this sudden-unnoticed-back-pain in the future? let say i jump smash, and upon landing suddenly the pain is back! or should i not do jump smash often?

19. wise-chiro

wise-chiro New Member

Back pain is a common thing that is experienced by badminton players. The most common cause is not warming up sufficiently before partaking in a game and not cooling down after a game. Both are equally important, especially in badminton.

Other issues that effect the back are week muscles (back muscles). in badminton, players have to jump, extend backwards/sideways at times these motions occur simultaneously over and over again. In these cases, the sensitive spinal tissues 9ligaments, discs and nerves) are irritated and inflamed. If this occurs over and over again, the individual may end with a bulging or a herniated disc (slipped disc).

Slipped disc (herniated/protruded disc) is common among those that play aggrasively and without warming up. I have treated dozens of badminton players for the same reason. My advice to them have been to warm-up, cool down and build up muscles in the low back to prevent a slip disc. And for those that have it to get treatment right away and those that do not know if they have it to seek professional help right away. One for of therapy that is effective for those that have a disc problem is the NSD Therapy. You can Google NSD Therapy and get more info on it. Hope this helped

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I do this.
    Lie on your back with legs up 'L' shape. Then use a chair to support your legs. Lift your back a little and do it like 20 times. It helps. ;)