Pronation and Thumb Pain

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Feb 18, 2013.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hey everyone,

After playing during a warm-up session at a school practice, I noticed that whenever I finished an overhead stroke during the follow-through, I would feel a slight pain in the underside/right side of the thumb (the part of the thumb where the grip sits in your hand). I noticed that whenever I finish pronating and the racket strings face to the left, the racket handle sort of jams into the part of my thumb I described above. Do I need to change my technique, or does everyone get used to it?

2. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    are you left handed ? Your racket hitting face facing left (after pronation).

3. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Sorry for the confusion, I'm right handed, but after pronation, the racket strings should face to the left side if I'm not mistaken, as a result of the 180 degree rotation.

4. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

After pronation, the hitting face should face right. It faces left if you slice the shuttle, if im not mistaken.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Your thenar eminence (the meaty drumstick part of your thumb) shouldn't be hurting after any proper shot.
    This dilemma needs a video or a drawing.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps you're holding the racket handle too high up... try lower closer to the handle butt.

7. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    You sliced. This is not pronation. Try a different overgrip - I would recommend Wilson Pro.

8. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hey guys,

I rested my thumb for a while, but unfortunately after some smashing, my thumb went down the drain again, so its definitely my technique.

The thing that confuses me the most with pronation is whether or not my racket should be pointing straight up and down when I strike the shuttle. When theJym demonstrates pronation, his racket is not pointing straight up and down (like how many coaches teach the stroke), but its at an angle. Am I suppose to rotate my arm so the racket points up and down, or hit the bird at that angle (looks like 135 degrees to me). I have been trying to rotate my arm so that the racket points straight up and down, and this may be the cause of my injury.