Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

jackie, your net shots look like they're used for singles

need to be closer to the net, especially in doubles

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You mean taken closer to the net or played closer to it? And at what time, roughly? There were quite a few :D In some drills, it was better to play safe shots rather than close to the net as the aim wasn't tight (risky) net shots, but to sustain a rally to get the movement going (playing a very tight net shot when the opponent is supposed to lift it anyway can be a bit bothersome :D).
    No idea if that was the case though, that's why the time would be helpful :)

Thanks for the feedback, anyway, appreciate it :)

Getting ready for our matches....gonna tape a bit only, and search for sth that I can edit the footage with. It's the re-matches of matches I already posted (against the 2 teams at the bottom of the division), and the opponents will probably not have gotten any better (and the matches weren't good last time -.-)...

3. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I was going to say you look like you're getting slimmer which is a good thing! I agree it's a shame the intensity of your training was not matched by your training partners, I've experienced the same, and by the looks they got a bit better towards the end, but we used to get punished for being lazy on the overhead. The mood of the training session is set by the majority, and with half an hour on court constantly, it's all too easy to see them slowing down and follow suit. Any backhands that are unnecessary should be discouraged by the coach if he isn't doing so already . But I did see quite a lot of backhands (not so much from you). I dare say you would find the training more intensive at the end of the session if you were working on the overheads because it requires more movement.

In terms of legs, yes you could maybe do with a bit more muscle for explosiveness but you're movement is a lot better than i've previously seen. If you look at Boe/Mogensen they're a similar build, it's the asian players that tend to be bulked out, so don't worry too much. Quality not quantity i'd say when it comes to muscle. ;)

One thing I thought, is that perhaps sometimes your follow through is a bit exaggerated, for the sake of preparation for match situations, especially when you're fast dropping you're likely to get caught out if you're still following through by a return drive or low flat lift.

What i'm suggesting is that you try and get your racquet up and ready as soon as possible, even if you don't think you need to, good habits are formed in this manner and it should reduce your errors too!

#1643 AimUk, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for the (lengthy) comment! :) Since that virus in August/September, I've only gained back 1 of the 8 lost kgs....so, while I may have lost some muscle in that time, I definitely lost some baggage as well, and by now I finally feel kinda fit and fluid on court again, so maybe it was for the best :)
    Going to the gym twice a week, doing rather explosive training for the legs and some strength and stability for the rest of the body (especially the back and shoulders, as my muscles in the upper back tend to harden and form little rather painful knots when they're overused (i.e. too much smashing, too little weight training/other exercises). And in the taped training session I found out you can't slack off on your lower back training either as I pulled a muscle at some point which got really painful later that night. :/

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to both watch the video and comment in such detail. I'll try to work on the smaller follow-through, on the other hand it throws off many opponents and is rather useful in singles that way....and even though MD is my strongest discipline, I have to play MS in team matches as well. Speaking of which, we had two today, and I managed to take some vid of the MD and MS of the first team match. The second was rather unspectacular, so I didn't regret not taping it (21-13 21-8 in the MS match....if I looked anything like I felt, I had to look very tired or very relaxed, in any case it wasn't suited to show me playing anywhere near my max :D).
    I'll upload it elsewhere again, perhaps tomorrow, otherwise Monday...

PS: I watched a few videos about Badminton at the Exeter University yesterday. You wouldn't happen to be in them, would you? I saw a certain left-hander who looked suspiciously like you in the background a few times... ;) Don't understand why they focussed so much on the Asian kid, he played rather unspectacularly imop. Kinda tense in the left arm and gifting away quite some reach by not extending the right....but for all I know that was then and he'd wipe the floor with me now :D

5. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Haha, well yes that may well have been me, that video was done 2 years ago and took about a year for the stupid filmer to produce it. Yes he was, but basically there was about 20 minutes of him doing that training constantly for the producer to get about 2 minutes of shooting time. He was absoluetely knackered, I don't know why he didn't put either myself or the girl in to give him a rest but we found it hilarious because he was exhausted at the end. He has probably got better, but I haven't seen him for best part of a year now, don't know what he's up to these days regarding badminton! I do miss the constant training you get at university, it's so much easier to improve when your working hours are more flexible and you get far more practise time for peanuts in cost.

My aim is to do something similar to what you have done, get really ill, lose some weight /muscle and get back to hard training before I go to some bigger tournaments in easter time. I've got a big training session in 2 weeks that i'll try and get some drill footage of too!

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha, no need to get ill - just basically stop eating for a week :D From what I've experienced British food isn't all that well-suited to losing weight either ;) But it's way easier to lose the weight the 'normal' way rather than by getting sick, because it took me nearly a month to get back to a decent fitness level - that adds up to 7 weeks of no or really bad badminton. Personally, I'll rather eat less and do a bit more cardio :D
    Matches went well for me, lost the first MD - while the opponents were strong, helping out although they usually play 1 and 2 divisions higher respectively, I'm confident I could've won the match with a decently quick partner. As it was, it was a good try, but after a close first game (20-22) we lost the second quite clearly. Won all matches after that, pairing up with my usual partner for the second MD match (he didn't play the first because of his slightly injured shoulder, didn't want to smash as much as he would've had to).
    Gonna go to Uni to upload both MD and MS of the first team match now :) didn't tape anything in the second match though. My matches were rather clear in our favor and the MS match was only challenging because my doubles partner bet me I couldn't keep my opponent under 10 in the 2nd game :D

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Here's what I taped yesterday: first two are of the MD match, starting at 11-10 in the first game (funny scoreline - 2-6 to 10-6 to 10-10...:D). Lost it 20-22 and sth-21, second game was decidedly clearer as you can see. Let them get away to a 6-1 lead in the beginning and never managed to get back in touch, the closest we got was 2 or 3 points away...
    Third video is of my MS match, which started of rather weird. Converted a 5-11 and 7-14 into a 21-19 win in the first, and only started taping after that (so you see the much more in-control 2nd game here). Have to say I didn't quite stay as intense as when I chased after him at 7-14, but it was a decent game.

I don't know how clearly you can see it, but the ceiling was incredibly low in this hall. You couldn't even clear properly during warm-up, and as a result all matches were played rather offensively as you couldn't slow the game down with clears or lifts. They also didn't drop even close to vertically, so you could take the shuttle like 20cm in front of the line even when the clear/lift was great (close to the ceiling, right on the line).
    As I pulled a back muscle in Thursday's training session, I played all matches with a back support and a compression shirt over that. Not sure how obvious it is but I was a bit stiff in my lower back and couldn't turn into shots as much, especially smashes.

Shed a tear for my brave Bs12 which died in the second MD game - it fought well and brought me many victories. Too bad someone wanted to take my shot :mad:

MD1
    [video=youtube;H9rd4O_Y_Ug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9rd4O_Y_Ug[/video]
    [video=youtube;bojwTZIVc9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bojwTZIVc9E[/video]

MS2
    [video=youtube;lXjW2h1BWps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXjW2h1BWps[/video]

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

^Good shot @ 3:59 in MD2;). If in doubt, roof out!

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ceiling was an error...and the rings were a bit too small to hit consciously....at least in a pressure situation ;)

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Some MD matches from Monday's training session - imop better than the league match. Kinda sorta proud of some jump smashes as they are slowly starting to actually look like jump smashes :D Still need some more height on them, though - need more time for the preparation to actually hit them at the highest point...just like always, any feedback is appreciated! :)

[video=youtube;onJfz0ulbgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onJfz0ulbgA&list=PLsoTpjPe1CEHKk6sBctlmCHMee15-VvW2&feature=mh_lolz[/video]
    [video=youtube;8p5FFpbnWu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p5FFpbnWu8&list=PLsoTpjPe1CEHKk6sBctlmCHMee15-VvW2[/video]
    [video=youtube;DBVU1qYux2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBVU1qYux2I&list=PLsoTpjPe1CEHKk6sBctlmCHMee15-VvW2[/video]

11. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Definately heard scheiße at 4 minutes in the second game being whispered somewhere, made me laugh- was it you? Potty mouth whoever it was. Thats about all the productive comments you'll get from me this time in the evening, i'll have a watch properly tomorrow ;)

#1651 AimUk, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

tbh, didnt see too many jump smashes... :p :)

one thing that comes to mind is your short service return... quite often they are within your opponents' comfortable racket reach. you're toeing the line in receiving and you have long arms so should be able to produce good challenging returns.

i know it's easier said than done and i'm sure you already know this ... but the best returns you should aim for is block to the net, brush to the mid alleys past the server, or tap with some pace towards the body of the server's partner at the back.

when you do this, you'll get weak replies which you can start pounding down :)

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I didn't say there were many, did I? :p The 2 or 3 that are there seem better to me than any I recorded earlier. Hit the gym twice since then to continue that particular trend :D

And yeah, I know which returns are the best, but it's always a different thing to know it and to actually implement it, especially when the serve is varied as much as it is here (one of the guys using many flicks and one having a rather unpredictable -even to him- short serve :D). I'll work on that a bit more, though, seeing as I fancy myself as a rather net-oriented doubles player...also sorta kinda proud of keeping my racket up most of the time. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to change that habit of dropping it to your ankles! :D
    Well, thanks for the feedback. Always good to know someone watched it, and with enough attention to actually comment :)

AimUK: Tbh, I couldn't hear Scheiße around 4:00 - someone WAS complaining in the background, but I couldn't understand it. Tons of words with 'ei' in German though, so it could've been something a bit more innocent ;)
    In any case, it wasn't me. Most of my annoyed ranting was too quiet to be caught by the camera, and I'm rather glad my comments on my own service errors weren't! :D

EDIT: Just noticed you meant the second vid. Ya, that was me :D Annoyed I had to try the trickshot there instead of just lifting....:eek:

14. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

My single match from yesterday, after a while ^^
    [video=youtube;z2s00q87y-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2s00q87y-M[/video]
    [video=youtube;KSOqG-CESXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSOqG-CESXE[/video]
    [video=youtube;PLqHFSKCCzU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLqHFSKCCzU[/video]
    I am the yellow guy :p
    What strikes me is that I don't split step at all O_O. I was tired but still xD. And ofc many unnecessary mistakes :(
    Feel free to comment ^^

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well after watching the first game I can only agree that there are quite a few unnessecary mistakes ;)
    I think footwork should be your highest priority right now, as your big advantage over any opponent will be your ability to change direction rather quickly and flawed footwork (especially the missing split-step) will rob you of that advantage. Also you'll want to avoid high clears as much as possible against tall players in singles - your defense isn't so great when he's got that extra time (your reflexes seem to be good, but often you just can't cover the distance needed to defend cross shots or steep drops).

A good way to go about that would be to play lots of attacking clears and low lifts/pushes down the line - unless your oppenent has a lethal interception (this one lacks any explosiveness, so it should be rather effective against him). To mix it up and keep them from anticipating this early, you should work on all shots you can do from the short corners - net shots, flat pushes, lifts, both longline and crosscourt. If you can hold the shot as long as possible he'll either be rooted to his base position or move early, in which case you might be able to wrong-foot him by playing the shuttle elsewhere.

Putting in a jumped crosscourt clear from time to time is also a nice way to fool your opponent, as most tend to lean forward in a defensive stance when you jump up, and are unable to change direction quickly to take that clear in a controlled manner (in the best case, it's a direct point, usually, they'll end up playing a low-quality shot that you can capitalize on).

To further increase your movement speed and overall capabilities, some weight training for the legs would be helpful - if you can jump well, your opponents will always be weary of that, as it enables you to intercept flat shots very well. Squats, calf raises, and machine trainings for the quadriceps and biceps would be a good start. Rope skipping as well.

Hope that helps :)

16. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I watched about 10 minutes or so of the middle video. I don't see much wrong with your speed or footwork to be honest. The biggest problem you had in the game was that you didn't move your opponent into he rearcourt anywhere near enough or deep enough. But a good length clear to the back a few times to the same corner. If its a good length clear then his smash won't be a problem to defend from back there. You just need to be ready in mind for the drop shot. Because you weren't playing enough to the rearcourt you were on the run most of the time and so didn't get chance to get back to base and splitdrop out to next shot. I would suggest you stop the backhand low serving for a while and use forehand high serve. It will give you more time and the shuttle will be coming at you instead of having to always dig it out of the rearcourt corners all the time. You might find yourself defending smashes a little more and getting caught by the occassional dropshot but you will have more time to engage your brain and play more intelligently and might even play more deceptively. He can't hurt you with a smash thats coming from the rear tramline, I promise!

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[video=youtube;_gaUB3H2t8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gaUB3H2t8M[/video]

Here's the latest video of a MD training match - using N90 and N90II in this, as I did on Saturday in the league matches. During warmup (on Saturday), I somehow twisted my back, which resulted in really bad back pain (probably dislodging a vertebrae). I managed to get it under control by trying to get it back in place and then relaxing the cramped muscles, but as we had already filled out the match record (or whatever it's called), I couldn't step out anymore. As a result I had to compete.
    We lost the opening MD match, as I was still distracted by the pain, unable to smash at more than 30-40% and my partner didn't exactly bring his A-game either and one of the opponents was really, really strong. In the following MS match, I switched from my Braveswords to the N90, as I couldn't rotate my upper body and though a heavier racket might help me get a tad more power. Apparently, it worked out as I managed to win the match in 3 games - despite dominating the first and controlling most of the 2nd game, I had a string of errors and could only save 3 of 4 game points. I got very nervous when we approached the end of the 3rd (having had a few painful shots during the game), but managed to convert a 18-14 lead to a 21-19 win on the 2nd match point.

Well, after that, I used the N90 for the following MD match (which was super easy as we played against an injured player - they had tactically put him in the 1st MD to have a chance in the 2nd as they knew us to have a very strong 1st MD) and Monday's training. As you can see, I was still not back to full mobility and had some muscle pain from time to time, but I'm feeling much better now and am confident I can return to normal training next week (i.e. my usual 3-4 sessions+weight training).

A thicker grip on the N90 seemed to help with drives and defense. Will try to get used to it on a more permanent basis as the ease of playing clears and the attacking power are quite brilliant, as is the control from the rear court.

18. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

just one little remark this time:
    jump to minute 19. concentrate on where the racket of the front court player is (either you or your partner!)! @min 20 or so, you perform a (decent) short serve and your racket drops. 2 times...

you're tall, you have good anticipation, but you need to be more prepared with your racket held up high. that's the split second between intersepting the shuttle at the net and letting it through...

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks. It's a really ingrained habit I'm trying to get rid of...and it's hard. But thanks to you guys I'm at least on my way of improving that and have my racket up sometimes instead of never :)

20. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant