It's time for Misbun Sidek to work for Malaysian Badminton without BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Boleh!. Oh, how come no datuk title for silver medal in OG? ;)

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Misbun Sidek has already resigned. It's not that he wanted to resign

BAM needs to be thinking clearer. :eek::eek::eek:

IF national singles coach Misbun Sidek wants to leave the BA of Malaysia ( BAM), he should be allowed to do so.

Misbun Sidek has already resigned. It's not that he wanted to resign.

Teng Chor was also surprised that Misbun refused to meet with BAM president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh to thrash out the issue but agreed to discuss the matter with Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek.

It shows that Kedah BA (KBA) president Teoh Teng Kor doesn't know what caused Misbun to resign. Where is the email that was sent to BAM? Hope that BAM can be more transparent; to release it for everyone to read.

Had Misbun met Nadzmi, Teng Chor feels the issue could have been resolved. "As far as I 'm concerned, Misbun made the decision to resign by himself and if he feels it's the right decision he should leave. Nobody is indispensable and we (BAM) didn't force him to leave," said Teng Chor.

'Nobody is indispensable and we (BAM) didn't force him to leave?' Then, why is BAM trying to get Misbun back. I just don't understand all this double-talk.

"The coaching and training committee decided that Hendrawan should train Misbun Ramdan . He still has some way to go before becoming a elite player . We are not against Misbun. " Terengganu BA ( TBA ) president Datuk Sayed Abu Bakar Abdullah said that the executive council ( Exco ) meeting tomorrow should be able to solve the matter.

"Let the Exco decide on the issue on Tuesday (tomorrow). By then, the president (Nadzmi) would have met the Sports Minister and Misbun and should be able to come up with a final decision ," said Sayed Abu Bakar.

It also shows that Terengganu BA (TBA) president Datuk Sayed Abu Bakar Abdullah is not thinking clearly either. I shall repeat "Misbun Sidek has already resigned. It's not that he wanted to resign."

BAM treasurer Datuk Lim Teong Kiat said the ball is on Misbun's court and he should be the one to decide.

"Resignation of coaches is normal. Life will go on if Misbun sticks to his decision . We still have Rashid (Sidek) and Tey Siu Bock and training will carry on," said Teong Kiat.

It shows that BAM treasurer Datuk Lim Teong Kiat is also not thinking clearly either. I shall repeat "Misbun Sidek has already resigned. It's not that he wanted to resign."

I would summarise things with these comments;

Misbun resigned because he did not find BAM appreciating his work. And even after he has resigned BAM committee members are still not commenting that they appreciated Misbun's work. They keep saying that it's up to Misbun to decide.

So, I shall repeat it the last time;
    "Misbun Sidek has already resigned. It's not that he wanted to resign."

BAM needs to be thinking clearer. :eek::eek::eek:

#82 chris-ccc, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. extremenanopowe

Power struggle going on... extreme freaks. ;)

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BAM has not appreciated Misbun's work

Are you saying that this 'power struggle' has caused BAM to be unable think clearly?

My post was to say that BAM has not appreciated Misbun's work in the past, and even up to today (as we can read from the comments made by BAM committee members).

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

CSK's case has some stories attached to it which I cant and dont want to remember, i think it was simply unavoidable.

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

BAM and MS have some conflict but other coaches eg.doubles are not involved,so it is sth between BAM and Misbun.

The show will surely go on in other departments.So far other coaches have not made any statements.

At least we know it is something solely between MS and BAM for the moment and it could be matters confined to the Men's singles dept., to some it sounds like it is MS et al vs BAM.

This is just a statement of fact.

#86 Bbn, Jan 10, 2011
  7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Thanks for the info, to be honest I only read some threads in BC that interest me and never click on sections I have no interest in.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's something that Misbun doesn't want to deal with BAM anymore

Yes, it's something that Misbun doesn't want to deal with BAM anymore. That's why he snubbed the BAM president, as it was mentioned by Teoh Teng Chor (a member of the BAM coaching and training committee); "The president had even called him but he chose to snub the president and speak with the Sports Minister."

However, Misbun is still in contact with Lee Chong Wei, as it was reported that Misbun phoned LCW (in Taipei), analysing his play/performance at the 2010 SSMF tournament.

Source: http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newssport.php?id=555564

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well after you read the statement by the sports minister in the Star today which someone or other will post

it has been narrowed down to 3 basic issues :

1) MS 's training methods and techniques (up to you to evaluate )

2) Family matters (related to 1)

3) BAM 's role and administration and management policies

10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    from The Star

Tuesday January 11 , 2011
    Shabery hopes for a win - win situation in Misbun ’ s episode
    By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR : Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek understands the feelings of an aggrieved Misbun Sidek. And he is also well aware of the constraints of the Badminton Association of Malaysia ( BAM) .

On the agenda of the BAM exco meeting tomorrow is Misbun’ s decision to quit as a national coach . He submitted his resignation letter via email on Dec 31 via email.

And Shabery hopes that BAM will re- look into Misbun’ s grouses in an open manner and a win - win situation will come out of it .

Shabery drew this conclusion a day after meeting Misbun and the BAM president , Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh , together on Sunday night .

The meeting at a undisclosed place was also attended by the National Sports Council ( NSC ) director general, Datuk Zolkples Embong .

Shabery said that the discussion was a positive and constructive one .

“ Misbun spoke openly to Nadzmi on the reasons for his shocking resignation . He was hurt because his perception on the technical aspect and training system were misunderstood . He spoke clearly to Nadzmi about all these ,” he said .

“ Misbun also said that he had no ulterior motive . He has no plan to start a new professional outfit or had any plan to tie up with other sponsors .“

Nadzmi , on the other hand , highlighted the basic principles that the BAM stood by and on how decisions were made. Both have their ideologies and ways of doing things .

“ Now, Nadzmi is clear on what had happened and he will present what Misbun said to the exco . The onus is on the BAM to decide whether to accept or reject Misbun ’s resignation. And I hope they will come out with a win- win situation to stop this issue from snowballing into something very destructive . ”

Shabery also said that it was important to understand the feelings of a coach , his instincts and the role of his family members .

“ Misbun has contributed a lot to our sport . As an experienced coach , he may also have an instinct for future champions ,” he said .

“ The success of tennis player Serena Williams and golfer Michele Wie is because of strong support from their families . All these have to be taken into account . ”

It is learnt that the last straw that drove Misbun to quit was the BAM ’s decision to turn down his request for his son, Ramdan , to come under his charge .

Under the BAM’ s new coaching and training structure , players aged 21 and above and those with great potential are placed in the elite squad .

The others are divided into the elite back- up and back- up, according to their level of maturity in their game and Ramdan was placed under the charge of Hendrawan .

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    It appears that majority of BCers side with MS/LCW than BAM in this saga...quite the contrary in the case of TCS. NSC brought out a big stick and hammered TCS for wanting to walk out while a red carpet unfolds for the 2 datuks, quite a double standard. NSC and BAM are in a tough position. To carve in to this would set a dangerous precedent and a laughing joke in future.
    I always believe no one is indispensible even in sports After all, the early years of development and nurturing by the giving party should not be forgotten.

#91 OneToughBirdie, Jan 10, 2011
  12. extremenanopowe

In the interest of professionalism, BAM shd let TCS go. I didn't notice this early. ;)

Eventually, all countries prefer deregulation. From the public point of view of course. Tax matters. ;)

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

"Nadzmi , on the other hand , highlighted the basic principles that the BAM stood by and on how decisions were made. Both have their ideologies and ways of doing things ."

This statement is in line with policies in many set-ups.Even government departments are going for eg.

ISO accreditation and Quality Systems. This is to ensure that operations conform to certain guidelines,go by best practices and avoid decisions based on whims and fancies ie. an organised system.This can reduce abuse of power,bad management and eg.corruption.To some this is good management, giving employees too much leeway and room may end up the company as a whole going bust as can be seen in many modern Western enterprises using the wrong system for the wrong industry.in the eyes of some BAM is actually
    making improvements year by year conforming to best management practises, as compared to the past when it was run by dictators and their hangers-on like a small shop.

Of course there is always room for flexibility in any system, but the basis for deviating is to attain the best results.

The best practical example of such systems at work can be seen in Star Trek movies, how Mr. Spock goes by the book and how James Kirk bends all the rules not for his personal agenda but to save his ship.

Of course such rigid rule conforming systems will never work in creative industries such as making movies, song -writing,
    computer games , the arts etc. etc.where the key is thinking out of the box and creativity , as opposed to being boxed in

by rules and regulations.

#93 Bbn, Jan 10, 2011
  14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    from NST

Badminton : Technical matters blamed

MISBUN Sidek resigned as national coach because of technical matters , not due to personal issues or outside influence .

And Misbun' s future depends on whether the BA of Malaysia ( BAM ) accommodates his requests or persuades him to renew his contract in tomorrow' s Exco meeting .

Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek said Misbun resigned because he was unhappy with the current coaching structure .

Ahmad Shabery, together with National Sports Council ( NSC ) director general Datuk Zolkples Embong , had a closed door meeting with Misbun and BA of Malaysia ( BAM ) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh on Sunday in the hope of settling the issue amicably.

" It was a fruitful dialogue as we got the actual reason behind his resignation. Misbun and Nadzmi had a heart - to- heart talk, " said Ahmad Shabery at the National Sports Council ( NSC ) in Bukit Jalil yesterday .

" The picture is clearer now as we know why he left . Both parties have their own views about the coaching structure . I want to stress that Misbun resigned because of technical issues and not because of other factors ."

There were rumours that both ( Lee ) Chong Wei and he had been approached by a sponsor . It is untrue . It is also not true that he wants to open a badminton academy. "

Ahmad Shabery hopes both parties ( BAM and Misbun) will compromise as he does not want the issue to prolong.

" It will affect our badminton if this issue is not settled amicably . I think both parties must handle it carefully as the needs of players are being affected .

" Of course, Misbun 's views have to be studied too as a coach knows best on what his player needs to improve ," he said .

The minister said it is up to BAM to make the next move .

" Nadzmi will bring up Misbun ' s issue during the Exco meeting and it will be deliberated before a decision is made."

It is entirely up to BAM on whether to accept Misbun ' s resignation or persuade him to stay on .

" Of course, BAM would need to think of options after a final decision is made, " added Ahmad Shabery.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Perhaps a good example of how flexibility can work in a rigid system is China allowing

autonomy in regions like HK or Tibet or SinJiang, every now and then when uprisings occur,they will send a reminder to toe the line ie.national interests before regional first.

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

i wonder how other back-up players will feel if MS's son is allowed to train with and in the company of the best senior players.

Maybe it is fate, just see how Li Gen or Tommy Sugiarto is treated elsewhere,

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Allow players and coaches to go independent if they wish to do so

Look at university students and university professors; A university is an institution for learning with teaching, training and research facilities. After a student has graduated, he/she should not to be tied down by the university. Similarly, after a professor has taught and has done something great (say, introduced something new), again, he/she should not be tied down.

BAM (or any National Badminton Associations) should look at the interests of their players and coaches like some of the other National Sporting Associations. Allow players and coaches to go independent if they wish to do so.

#97 chris-ccc, Jan 10, 2011
  18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I suppose you are at U in Aussieland. My wife and I both went to university;) and that were many, many moons ago:crying: and now, we are looking at our daughter 3rd year at U. I went to Polytechnic first followed by U next, and today a professional mechanical/civil engineer, all paid by my parent, myself working part time and later government loan. The difference is we paid fees to attend, U did not pay for us, even though we can say the govt paid 2 of the 4 years for our daugther. BAM on the other hand pay all cost to develop the players and if the players do not pan out then tax payer and sponsors' $$$ went bust. If the player succeed and go independent and reap big $$$, who would bother sponsor BAM. It is easier if you put yourself in BAM shoes today making this decision that looks like either way BAM is screwed.

#98 OneToughBirdie, Jan 10, 2011
  19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Badminton: Chong Wei ready to walk with Misbun

2011/01/11
    By K.M. Boopathy
    boopathy@nst.com.my
    Share |

[​IMG]
    MISBUN SIDEK

LEE Chong Wei is not ready to change coaches and will quit the national squad if Misbun Sidek is not persuaded by the BA of Malaysia (BAM) executive council (exco) to reconsider his decision. Chong Wei, who returned from Taiwan yesterday, said it will take at least six months to adapt to the training methods of a new coach and the World No 1 does not want to risk his preparations for the 2012 London Olympics.

The BAM exco meeting will be held tomorrow where president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh is likely make an official announcement on the Misbun issue.

The majority of exco and council members favour accepting Misbun's resignation which means Chong Wei's departure also looks inevitable.

"I don't want to train under anyone other than Misbun and if he decides to leave, I will join him. If BAM accepts his resignation, I will leave immediately," said Chong Wei yesterday.

"It takes about six months to adapt to the training of a new coach and I don't want to take the risk at this stage of my career. I need to prepare for the 2012 London Olympics and I want to be under Misbun."

Chong Wei also disclosed that Misbun had been calling him in Taiwan and helping him during the World Super Series Masters Finals which the former won.

Chong Wei is also looking forward to a confrontation with China's Olympic champion Lin Dan in a likely semi-final encounter in the Malaysia Open, and no matter what transpires in the next few days, he is certain Misbun will be guiding him in the Super Series event next week.

"People are expecting a battle against Lin Dan in the Malaysia Open and Misbun will be there to guide me, no matter what happens in the coming days," said Chong Wei.

"If a decision is finalised on Wednesday (tomorrow) where Misbun's resignation is accepted, I will go out (of the national team) but I will compete in the Malaysia Open as I am serious about defending the title."

It appears that BAM should be prepared to let Misbun and Chong Wei go and this could be followed by the departure of several elite players like Tan Chun Seang, Chan Kwong Beng and Liew Daren.

However, BAM may have to accept that the only way it can persuade Misbun to stay is by making an about-turn on the recently revamped national training structure.

That prospect doesn't look bright if the mood of the BAM management and council members is any indication.

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Like I say before Sibuchai's post, I don't envy those BAM fellas, screwed all the way:p:D Sure some people in BAM will get some white hair overight and some will lose a lot of hair:p:D times for aspirin.:)
    BTW, BAM and Malaysian tax-payers are in the same corporation that pay to support the development of badminton in Malaysia;)

#100 OneToughBirdie, Jan 10, 2011