carlton kinesis

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by robotshuttle, May 21, 2012.

1. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I don't think his intent is to advertise for the website, but merely point out a good source for the racket should anyone on here wish to purchase one :).

2. Seventhfool

Seventhfool Regular Member

It was not my intent to promote, but i do know from reading here on these forums that finding a good place to shop is hard.

Since the place i wrote about more or less was the only place that where/is selling the racket i wrote it.

There was another site that had it, but from own research and other members here that site isnt trustworthy.

3. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

The kinesis I bought has 86g printed on the racquet, although it does feel a bit light like a 4U. The kinesis on sale in the link below states 95g...isn't that like a 2U!

http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/Pr...tion=carlton-badminton-rackets&ProductID=7385

I'll try to post a short review once I've re-strung it.

4. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Just wanted to bump this Thread from last year in case anyone is thinking of buying a Kinesis.

This is the best price I've found here in the UK:

http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...s&Section=carlton-badminton-rackets&NavID=447

I'm currently playing with a Razor 1.0 and loving it. Would like to have another as a spare before it's discontinued and it's tempting at £94 with free delivery, but I'd love to try the Kinesis, even at a £46.00 price differential.

Anyone compared the two?

Derek

5. meteor

meteor Regular Member

The Kinesis feels headlight despite the even balance labeling. The frame is extremely thin too and it's easy to generate speed. Power is amazing for such a fast and light racket. With factory strings felt wobbly and innacurate, I couldn't even clear in a strait line. A friend complained of ringing and vibrations... perhaps to do with the dodgy factory strings too. I played a lot with VTT which is similar to V1.0. I'd say VTT feels a little more sluggish but has more control with bg80 at 26lbs. Perhaps this is a stupid comparison to make given the different strings.

6. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

It'd be interesting to hear a verdict on better strings then ^^

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    appreciate your efforts in letting the rest of us know about a good racket shop tho i don't live in Sweden. it's always good to know about them since there are so many people selling fake stuff these days!!

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

finally someone agrees with me that this racket does not swing like even balance but head light.

9. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Well, now I'm completely confused....

My new Kinesis X90 arrived today (£104 from a well known auction site!) and written on the shaft quite clearly it says: "Balance: even, Flex: medium".

That's all well and good, but on the official Carlton website the X90 is described as: "Balance: head heavy, Flex: stiff"! It's the Kinesis that is listed as even balance with medium flex, and it's definitely the X90 I have as it's written quite clearly, "Kinesis X90", not just "Kinesis".

Funnily enough, if you do any kind of Google search all you'll come up with is the Kinesis for sale and not any of the other derivatives (X90, X80 and X70) - do they actually exist? (okay, the X90 does!)

The curse of Tennis Elbow has struck again and I'm not currently playing. But just holding the racket and choking down on the end cap with my eyes shut as if I were doing a short serve (I don't shut my eyes in real life!), it feels slightly head heavy to me, certainly a different sort of balance compared to the Razor 1.0. The simple finger balance test on the shaft shows that it's more weighted to the head than the grip.

The Carlton default strings are much softer than on the Razor 1.0, so I'll be hoping that I break a string fairly quickly whenever I go back. The matte finish is quite nice (if that sort of thing really matters) and the yellow case is horrible.

It feels different to the Razor 1.0, even though its on paper physical characteristics (balance and flex) are pretty much identical. I usually play with an even balance and medium flex anyway, attempts in the past to try head heavy and/or stiff flex just haven't worked for me, probably because I am a feel player who is more comfortable at the net.

The racket was bought as a spare as I love the Razor 1.0, but I will write a play review whenever I get a chance to actually use it on court, though I think it will probably be improved once I get my favourite BG65ti at 25 lbs on it.

Derek

#69 Derek S-H, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Seeing as another one I am now looking at on said auction site came from the outlet store, it is probably a prototype/sample model? Colourwise it doesn't look like the X90 on the Carlton website in any case, don't think it has been released yet either?

#70 demolidor, Feb 26, 2013
  11. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    I've just had a look at that auction site listing and you're right, the colour is different to mine (matte black with yellow splashes that looks like the Kinesis), you can't really see the X90 clearly on the Carlton website as it won't let you zoom in.

Either way, no matter what the colour, it's still described as even balance and medium flex which completely contradicts the Carlton blurb!

I haven't got a problem with mine potentially being a prototype or sample - it's new and unplayed and if it's just the colour scheme they've mucked about with that's fine. But I think they should make up their minds about the specs!

Derek

#71 Derek S-H, Feb 26, 2013
  12. meteor

meteor Regular Member

It hasn't been released.

13. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    How do you know please?

14. mrfrewster

mrfrewster Regular Member

work at a desk
    Has anyone else had any issues with the Kinesis ? I got one a couple of months ago, but... playing a singles match yesterday - the frame has bent/broken at one of the twist points on the frame.
    could this be a design flaw or a weak spot on the frame ? IMAG0510.jpg
    I've written to the supplies Sweatband.com Ltd & Carlton, and am awaiting their responses

15. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    The X90 is extra stiff and features the yellow flashes like the current Kinesis, the X80 is stiff and features blue flashes and the X70 is medium and has silver flashes. i think all these models will be slightly head heavier than the current Kinesis.

Release date in the UK will be around May.

16. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Haven't tried mine yet but keep us informed of what response you get?

17. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Hi, a friend had his Kinesis broken at one twist point too. He purchased it from direct sports - they sent it to Carlton who replaced it under warranty. The process lasted aprox 3 weeks but he was told it could last 5...
    The strange thing is that he didn't mishit or hit the frame at the time when it broke. Tension was 24lbs.

The frame on the Kinesis is extremely thin. It is possible that even the slightest mistreatment will eventually result in a broken frame. Should more cases be reported, we'll see if the frame twist areas are more prone to breaking.

18. mrfrewster

mrfrewster Regular Member

work at a desk
    Thanks....I assumed I must have miss hit it...from the sound it made and damage.....love the racket, but if it's prone to this.....I'm not sure ??

19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

But aren't the four corners the weak point anyway?

20. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I bought a Kinesis, it broke same way after only few sessions. I'm sending it back. Tension was 27lbs.