The use and abuse of BadmintonCentral

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Dec 27, 2009.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Just calm down and relax yourself. No need to over react:)
    I'm just asking btw;)

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Oops, I just posted this before I saw this thread :

"Please go to page 6, post 89.
    Next time do your own research first before asking.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55740&page=10 "

Have I done anything wrong?

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

No lah. I would have more direct but towards new members more polite.
    If veterans, hehehe, eagle got sharp claws .....mainly cos even when I was new member I research 1st before asking.:D

#23 eaglehelang, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    luckily my PM box is able to receive quite huge amount of mails. :p

we have many threads regarding the same issue. even we have sticky to these threads. or do we talking about admin or mods not strict enough towards any members? kwun or anyone wants stricter rules?
    kwun as the owner and admin of BC, has and had comes out the rules and regulations. willing to follow, stay on BC. reluctant to adhere, you are free to go. here, we practice FOC, freedom of choice.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya
    hehe
    i agree on this 1:)

ouch
    dont admit if i didnt state the name:p

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Any abusive attack on a person's character or good name can be taken to court

Yes, it's been going on for years. Some BCers have left because they can't stand it anymore.

Any abusive attack on a person's character or good name can be taken to court. It's highly unlikey that BC can be sued though. The posters, maybe. ;););)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Have I done anything wrong?

Giving Lina Ng the answer is most helpful. Telling her to do her own research next time isn't a defamation, IMHO. :):):)

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes
    many bcer
    not some bcer left because of insult
    remember the famous jimbo incident?:rolleyes:

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We practice FOC, freedom of choice

:D:D:D There is no complain about admin/moderator. Regarding the sticky threads, it's FOC not to read them. :p:p:p

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Already explained in my other post.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Comments like what lcleing reminded us not to do

Sorry for those BCers who have left. Insults to BCers by BCers are quite common.
    As someone said - One cannot be insulted unless one wants to feel insulted. It shows that many BCers unfortunately felt insulted. Within our BC community, we get to know who are those harsh with their comments.

But comments like what lcleing reminded us not to do, like belittling professional players
    are now getting far too often, IMHO.

Just don't understand why they use BC to slander them. :(:(:(

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Luckily it's just a select few who are like this (a very vocal select few though). Most BCers are great! Although sometimes I think the moderators can be a little lenient. Occasionally I wonder if I will get a short ban for something I regret posting - and I wouldn't blame them if they did :p. But then I remember some people get away with far worse. Overall I think the mods do a good job though. I'm sure there is far more that goes on behind the scenes than we realise!

13. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Sadly I feel that the only ones who will take heed of this kind of sensible, reasoned advice are those who are quite reasonable themselves. Preaching to the choir, as such. The ones for whom this thread is intended are already lost to self-assurance.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Many more left because of other reason(s)..

..if because of that particular incident, i wouldn't say many left but just a few.
    There are many more members leaving or stop being active because they just lost interest in this forum (e.g. got bored, fed up, or simply just got too busy w/other priorities).

Anyway, for this particular thread topic, as i mentioned before, we shouldn't be surprised. Reality is, there will always be a handful of "trouble-makers" or those members defined by chris-ccc, in his post #1, in every public forum out there.

15. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Is it okay to ask what the Jimbo incident was... (sorry, curiosity getting the better of me)?

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I am curious too but didn't dare to ask.
    Thanks mate.

17. george@chongwei

18. george@chongwei

check out the only purple colour font colour post;)

19. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Not sure why I got dragged into this thread by chris. But, here's my 2.5 cents

Well, I love to be proven wrong but I am not sure if threads like this is going to stop the abuse of BadmintonCentral. Many threads like this has been created and being put on the sticky threads but I don't really see much improvement in recent years.

I think having different opinions is fine but when people starts to argue, that's when things becomes ugly. If people merely stated their opinions and remain minimum interaction with others(not quoting anyone post and not discuss about issues), this will make BadmintonCentral a really dulled place to be.

Example: I think Lin Dan is great, but that's just my opinion. OK thanks.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the above example and it is not considered rude either, but it has no interaction with other fans in BadmintonCentral. To the eyes of many, this post is as good as being redundant(hey, face it, not many people are interested in who your idol is). When you have more interactions with others in your post, there's when things start to become interesting. Truth is you can either agree or disagree with others(unless you stay neutral and not posting any). When the wrong choice of words are being used and the posts being interpreted differently, this is when situation becomes tense. For those who agree with each other, they formed a gang, desperately mock the opposing party to prove their points and the opposing party couldn't shallow their pride and decided to go an eye for an eye. As a result, this becomes a never ending circle and eventually lead to catastrophe.

Now, the millionaire question is: How can we be tactful enough to avoid this from happening in the first place?

1) Put yourself in the shoe of others. If you find that other party might get offended. Don't post or at least be tactful when you post.
    2) Ask yourself, is my message ever going to get through to the other party? If you know that the other party has a strong opinion on this issue, consider only posting once just to clarify your standpoint. If the other party disagree with you(or verbally attacked you), leave it be because you dont need to filled the thread with various posts just to get one single point through. You save your time and the server's bandwidth, a win win situation.
    3) Talk about the issue and try not to get off topic.
    Example: This is a fake racket. How could you not tell?It's so blatantly obvious, you are so stupid!!!
    From the above post...You could tell that other than the first sentence, everything else is redundant(as they were not meant to talk about issue at hand). So why post something that is redundant and steer the thread off topic?
    4) Some people are just bored with their life, they just love to make fun of others in order to seek attention(trolls...sounds familiar?). IMHO, it is better not to respond to these kind of people. It takes 2 hands to clap, if you ignore them, they will stop posting eventually to avoid appearing silly in front of others. Feed the troll at your own risk and remember that you won't gain anything by arguing with them.

If a poster can act as above, probably BadmintonCentral will be a much better place. But this alone won't be enough to eradicate all the problems because incidentally BCers are consist of people with different cultural background, sense of humour and age group. Thus, misunderstandings could occur if one is not sensitive enough when putting their thoughts across. The only solution to this is probably to have the moderators draw the line which they considered one should not cross (enforcement). This is very difficult to do...but not impossible. Whether we have enough moderators or do moderators have enough time to monitor and maintain this is another different issue all together.

#39 majyun, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I agree. These threads are preaching to the converted.

Do we really need three separate stickies exhorting people to be nice to each other? It's clutter that gets in the way of the real content.

If you want people to read important notices, then limit their number: the more "read this first!" notices you post, the less likely it is that someone will read them. :rolleyes: