my new Gamma 6004 6pt SC Stringing Machine.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    trade secret.

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I'll tell you how they put the caramel into the Caramilk!

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    OOoooooo......

ermm....

nah.

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Green screen ? In your home ? o_O

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you are thinking too hard. it is much more simple than that.

6. redskins009

redskins009 Regular Member

Biochemist
    Ill get it done but give me some time or something. When i make something i can always make extra of it and pass it onto you. Sharing is caring right?

7. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    well if i die its all Kwun's fault ... i just place me order for this marvel.. and still waiting for my wise to clear custom.. :(...

@ Kwun would you mind give me the measurement for your bracket i like the way you made if fit to keep the 360 rotation... tnx bud..

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i am afraid this is not exactly the type of toy you can hide from the wifey either. good luck with it and keep us posted. if suddenly one day you stop posting here, we know why..... ;)

sure. the piece i got is very simple. i went to Amazon and got a piece of Aluminum Alloy 6061-T6 bar. dimension is 12" long, 4" wide, and 1/4" thick. here is the exact link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H9JJ9W/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

i didn't have to cut it at all and that's the whole piece you see in my photo. there are a couple of holes that i had to drill and i don't have the dimension for that. given the small tolerance it is probably better that you measure using your own machine and rackets.

to mount it on the WISE, you need a couple of nuts that matches the thread of the screws that comes with the WISE. the screw are the ones that mounts the WISE on the factory bracket. i don't know what thread those are, i just found some matching ones in my parts box and used them.

it is a bit tricky to mount the WISE on the Al bar, but here shows how the nut is actually hidden in the channel: (the pic was taken with my old ASE but the idea is the same)

it is important to get the 1/4" thick bar and not any thicker. any thicker means that it will be harder to find nuts that fits in that channel. alternative would be to have a thick bar and thread the hole. but given it is Aluminum it is probably better to use steel nuts. the 1/4" bar is way stronger than it needs anyway.

[​IMG]

hope that helps.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    likewise!!!

10. twang338

twang338 Regular Member

Marketing
    Kwun's got a sick setup over at his place. I am seconds away from breaking the bank and make my own man cave.

11. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    yes it does thank you will show when it is up ... and got a beating form the wife but still alive hahaha...

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    give a whole new meaning to the phrase, "no pain. no gain"... doesn't it... :D:D

13. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    nothing like kwun photo quality but here it is...

photo.JPG

#93 biggybil, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  14. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    by the way still waiting for aluminum plate to come..

@Kwun - few question about the machine and stuff ...

- did you find that the turn table is really buttery and it spins out of control at times when weaving cross ?... i do ..

- did you find that the fix clamp at a bit tricky to deal with brand new .. they seem to damage the the string on high tension above 26lbs. I did some testing and pull NBG98 at 24lb = ok ... 26lbs=ok... starting at 28lbd and above took me a few try to find the right setting in order no to damage the string... same goes with other type of strings.

- do you find the fix clamp a bit sticky my is and still is .. maybe i need to wd40 them first lol

-as for the MBFS-10 baddy frame support i had to sand it a bit to fit it int he socket.. :(

- and something that really annoys me is the plastic cap covering the mount post ... it keep coming of if i touch it slightly ... so funny but annoying ..lol

So here is my 2 cent on the Gamma;

Machine built quality is very solid and good looking for its price.

String jobs .... lol....

well first racket about 1h45min .. man all the possible setting that you can do ... in the end i found the right one for ME <-- ... hard to see from pic but i had me side support set to around 8/10 and 2/4 O'clock... moved the frame support as far as possible to have more room under the racket to work... i personally don't use much fix clamp unless its over 28/30 lbs to much time consuming lol ...

after the first racket all the rest where about 30 min... i do like to weave 1 line at the time and give plenty of time for the string to stretch.

About the WISE ... not much to say but SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!

Oh and the wife ignored me the whole night yesterday :D... i guess she knew i wouldn't and couldn't be distracted from this hahaha... Hmmm this going to come back and bite me in the @ss one day .... :S

Still all Kwun's fault..lol... but all worth it..

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    looking good!!!

- turntable: yes. it is loaded with a couple of huge ball bearing so it is very smooth. and yes, a bit too smooth. :)

- the fixed clamp do need adjustment, but i think that's the case for all fixed clamps.

- the clampbases is the biggest beef i have against the machine so far. they are not buttery smooth like the turntable, there are occasions where it binds and not move. what i have done is i have taken out the base from the turntable, degreased the tracks as well as the bottom parts of the base, and then put a new layer of lube on it. it is much better now. from reading the web other people use some teflon based lube and they claim it works best. i only used some synthetic lube i have for biking so i might degrease the whole thing and try teflon to see. if that doesn't work, then more will need to be done to get them smooth. mailing Gamma is useless as the guy pretty much says, "this is how this is, it will get better." which is just a way to avoid dealing with the issue itself. but having said that, i played with the C7030 on Monday and to be honest i don't think that's much smoother either. the ES5Pro/tech is smoother, but not buttery smooth either and the Toyo clamps on the ES5Pro is supposed to be the best in the world.

- you know, my MBFS-10 STILL HAVE NOT ARRIVED! they sent the wrong thing the first time, the second time, they send the wrong thing AGAIN! so i am still waiting for mine. how did you find the support though? does it make any mark on the racket?

- side support caps. this is a trick that Tim from Badminton-Nation told me, i haven't tried it yet. but you can try it and see if it work. find a old piece of overgrip, cut it to size and just wedge it inside the caps. seems to make a lot of sense!

my apologies, again. haha. :D

16. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Looks like jewelry/presents/shopping are needing to appease the wife ;).

Remember...a happy wife is a happy life.

17. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

What is the mechanism behind the switch action clamp bases ?

I have the quick action base ones and no need to say the switch action are much better. I was looking to upgrade them, but the switch action cost 240$ PER, which is way too expensive. So maybe I can find a way to reproduce the switch action mecanism and make my own homemade switch action base :p

18. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    they are nice no marking on the rackets... make it a lot easier to tension and clamp the last cross on top.. loving it.. i ordered another one for teh6 O'clock

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    might be hard:

switch action:

[​IMG]

clamp action:

[​IMG]

source:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=226566

20. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    for this i just used a little of double side tape and really a little like 2mm square lol it held fine afterwards ...