The exhibition of 4 kings in china

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by huangkwokhau, Oct 1, 2011.

1. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    This 4 invited to play because of their fame, not their current skill
    ask the audience, wanna see TH-LCW or CJ-LCW, i believe most of them want to see TH-LCW than CJ-LCW

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Interesting........

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I do not know the sponsors yet but just being told that LYB organizes it...

4. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Well, if it for md, it shouldn't only 4 but 5

The other 3 : Kido//setiawan, Boe/Mogensen and KKK/TBH...

All different countries....

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    My question ......

My question is; Why China is interested in holding this event (for the best 4 players in the world) when China is not interested in participating in the BWF's SS Masters Finals (for the best 8 players/pairs of the year)? :confused::confused::confused:

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Arent they? I supposed this years final was even going to be held in China :confused: How do you mean?

#26 twobeer, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes, probably me too (especially if ther was such a thing as a Taufik in form). Your example is also a little of, as I think CJ cre playing style is a bit boring many times. But honestly CL vs LCW would probably be a more exciting game to watch imop. I doubt I would pay money to go see an exhibition game today between LCW and TH, would you?

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I think it is good to see Badminton players get pay with big bucks..hope it will attract more people to play and hopefully to play professionally...we need to support this so Badminton, one day, can become a tennis....I hope BWF will raise the prize money for GP/GP Gold from 50K to 100K US$ and 120 K to Minimum 200 K US$

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Maybe this is LYB's way of getting back at BWF.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If we talk about legendary "kings" i think LD and Taufik fits the bill.. I love Gade... but king.. hmm.. I think you have to have more major titles to deserve to be called "king".. No WC, no olympics. does not really make a king imop.. Same goes with LCW.. He is currently the second best player in the world and is a fantastic player!! Much more fantastic than Gade ever have been im afraid.. But still.. Heavenly king.. hmm.. not yet... Taufik on the other hand qualifies as a legend, and of course LD. If we talk about kings i think Hendrawan, Han Jihan etc. are more heavenly kings :)

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Explain.. according to BWF info i have, this years SS final is to be held at LIU ZHOU, 12/14/2011 to 12/18/2011? Do you have any other info?

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think they should form separate tours like a mens-singles tour instead of the "traveling cirkus" with all teams :).. Then they could have pretty much the same prize money (more would of course be better :) but the payout for players would be 5-times as high!!

I love if we get more money into badminton overall.. But I would much more like to see it spent on the tour to make it financially viable for pros to earn a good living by just prizemoney even if not reaching the final stages all the time. Think tennis here, where anyone in top 100 make agood liveing just off the prizemoney!!

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think they should form separate tours like a mens-singles tour instead of the "traveling cirkus" with all teams :).. Then they could have pretty much the same prize money (more would of course be better :) but the payout for players would be 5-times as high!!

I love if we get more money into badminton overall.. But I would much more like to see it spent on the tour to make it financially viable for pros to earn a good living by just prizemoney even if not reaching the final stages all the time. Think tennis here, where anyone in top 100 make a good living just from the prizemoney!!

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I was referring to past SS finals where CHN or LYB used to snub this tournament.

15. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Actually TH vs LCW recently in Malaysia to raise fund for Japan's stunami...it went to 3 sets and deuce....haha..I am sure they fixed the result...:D

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Of course they did.. Giving the public a long threesetter to watch instead of just crushing Taufik in two fast straight sets :)

This is the nature of exhibition games.. they are for exhibition not for the competition.. Its a friendly match and I am sure they do not want the other player to loose face..

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think there is more to defining a player's "legendary" status or "royal" status than jus the results of his matches over the past 3 or 4 or 5 or 50 years.

There are many subjective, subtle, unquantifiable aspects that often play as important a part as the player's performance chart. Some players just have the ability to bring an audience to its feet, or to leave them spellbound. Some evince awe or respect for the spirit and tenacity that they bring to the game for over a decade. Some are just so loved for their presence, some are saluted for their power and the force of their peronality which they exert on their opponents.

All of them are practitioners of the art of badminton at the highest level, and they have consistently delivered for many years.

Many people bemoan Taufik as we see him now, because they will always compare him with the Taufik that ruled the world and all hearts years ago. But they would rather have the opportunity to watch the magic of Taufik on a stage where he plays without any stress of having to win, score ranking points etc, than a soulless clinical demonstration of badminton by an accomplished, yet predictable player.

A player I always respect more than almost any other, and rate among the highest ever (did he get a raw deal in the end? I don't know...) is Sun Jun. But if I were given a choice to pay for either attending a match where Sun Jun played or Taufik, its no contest. You can always aspire to be one; you can only thank the Universe you lived in the time of the other.

My 2c.

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Agree, Cyborg.............less interesting !!

19. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    I do agree. Let's wait n see will China send their the best player in the BWF SS Final this year ;)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I speculate that it is not China putting up the money. It must be some private sponsor.

It's like the Cophagen Masters - Invitation only;)